1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Microsoft Surface - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sentinel-R1, 11 Oct 2018.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, Lenovo!

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It is indeed the X1 Yoga Signature, i7-7500U version, and it has a pen in the body. I don't actually remember if the keyboard disables in tablet mode, and I'm in the middle of something using it during which I don't want to un-dock it to test. Can try later for you though!

It's excellent, and it charges over USB-C.

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I know this is is late to the party but I'd like to reaffirm a key point for anyone else considering a surface.
    Wasn't just the Wifi chipset but the antenna, which was highly directional. Wifi router in basement, sitting in my office directly 2 levels up, no wifi signal... rotate surface 90° so I al looking at the the side of it, full signal strength.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't use my Surface Pro (5.. But it's not 5.. It's just Pro.. But it's the 5th iterat..Noitsnotfive) for work, so I can't say with the same weight as Jinq-Sea - But I love it. I have the i5 8gb 256gb model, and it does everything I want. I mostly bought it to replace laptops, and give me something to draw on without buying a Cintiq (Because.. Although the prices aren't that many millions of miles away, I can take this places), and for that it's spot on. I love it.

Its flipping between Tablet/laptop mode is pretty good. I don't tend to fold the keyboard over, rather remove it completely, but that is dandy and I like it.

It does, however, have downsides.

The pen isn't included. That's expensive. £100 expensive. I got lucky, and got it and the keyboard free, but still. The keyboard is another £150 (Or are those prices backwards?). The hardware is nice, but short of being very skilled with hairdryers there's not much scope to tear it down and upgrade/replace the SSD - Which, when the screen is about £100 to replace, is not cool.

No USB-C. I mean.. Really? Room for mini displayport but no USB-C? Irksome.

Charger is retarded. Should have been USB-C. Isn't. There are no easy to get well known brand name portable charger battery things that will charge the Surface. Which, given it's kind of mediocre life (J-S isn't wrong, about five hours under constant use), is something of a pain. But for pottering around the house? I don't mind so much.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

have a surface pro 4, while mine has been solid for me apart from the 5 or so hours battery life.

but i do know few people who have had endless amounts of problems with both the pro4 and pro (5) ranging from buldging batterys, dead screens touch screen/pen no longer working, no wifi.

down side sides
    **** battery,
    one usb
    hit and miss quality

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

You can go to John Lewis and try out the surface and a Dell XPS.
    My wife ended up with a new MacBook Pro. I recommend 8GB and 256GB as a minimum
    If you go Dell, you can get some great deals online. Find a student to help you out and you can get even better deals..

7. creative

creative 500rwhp

I have the i5, 8gb ram version and love it. I was skeptical at first but once I got it set up the same as my desktop i found it to be great. I get a full days battery life out of it and use it for all my office needs. Its certainly made m,y life easier when working out of the office.

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I went to a larger Currys store this morning and eventually got to try a Surface Pro (5th gen) alongside the Lenovo and the latter felt far snappier, the keyboard much nicer to work with and the pen is included for near as makes no difference the same price as the Surface without a type cover or pen. It's ever so slightly less portable than the surface but the battery life is around 10 hours according to a few reviews and that was including media consumption and power draining benchmark loops, something mine will rarely get used for, so I hope to achieve the 10 hours with ease.

Off to purchase tomorrow morning and I'll be putting it to use Tue-Thu this week so will report back on the weekend after I have a chance to use it in anger.

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences. Most helpful as always.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Thanks bud. I'm going for the copper version in Curry's for £799. It's same CPU and RAM as that but with a 128GB SSD (enough for my usage and you can upgrade the SSD anyway, just not RAM) but more importantly it comes with smart pen which is ~£60 if you have to buy it separately.

11. jinq-sea

Oh no this would just not detect when the laptop booted, necessitating a magical reboot sequence! The antenna was also dreadful, too!

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

All sorted. Managed to get the Yoga 730 256gb ssd (with pen included) for only £100 more than the 720 after a bit of discount. Just updating and installing software now. I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed. This i5 8250U is no slouch! Just need to install Office 365, Visio and a few Smart Pen apps and I should be good to go for working away this week.

Thanks again everyone.

13. jinq-sea

Excellent. Enjoy!

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sort of hijacking the thread - went and ordered the new 4K 16GB 2TB Dell XPS 13. 11-15 days wait apparently, so MS should have a stable version of Windows 10 for a fresh install by then :eyebrow:.

I love my Dell Venue 11, but it's getting noticeably slower and editing 24Mp images is a little...harrowing.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Well, after 2 days of use, I want to say a huge thank you to Jinq-sea. This is a fantastic piece of kit! More power than I'll need to do my daily tasks. Battery life has averaged around 9.5 hours so far and it charges up to 80% from dead in under an hour over the USB Type C connector, so if I ever need to top it up over a lunch break, it's not an issue.

A couple of really useful tablet apps I've discovered to be invaluable so far are:

Xodo: A PDF reader and annotator. Really simple to use and free of charge.

Nebo: Handwritten note converter. Write notes and have them automatically converted into text to export, email or upload to the cloud as you write. Not free but worth every penny at ~£7. I wrote notes all day yesterday and they were all waiting for me in text format in Google Drive by the time I got back to my hotel. It also has a maths function whereby equations can be handwritten and solved on the fly. Really happy with this find!

Can't recommend the Lenovo Yoga series enough.

16. jinq-sea

No worries - glad you're pleased! I've been using Nuance PowerPDF on mine for PDF stuff. It's good.

USB-C power is v convenient isn't it

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  17. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It most certainly is. I could charge it, albeit at a slower rate, from my Samsung Note 8 charger or a power bank if in a pinch.

It's got the perfect combination of ports for my needs. 2x USB C's (1x of which Thunderbolt) and a USB 3.0 Type A plus headphone jack. I don't really need anything else! Smart Pen is obviously bluetooth, mouse is also bluetooth for times when I need one, so the Type A port is free for pen drives etc.

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@Gareth Halfacree have you reinstalled Windows on your XPS13? Does it remember the licence?

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Typically, Win10 keys are stored in the bios. In theory, anyone can install Windaz using an MS ISO and it'll do the necessary without causing you any arseache. I've done it dozens of times at work across a variety of brands. It'd be worth checking you can read the key in the bios before doing it, though, just in case.

Pete J likes this.
  20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My XPS13 doesn't have a Windows licence; I bought it with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed.
    But this is how Windows licences work these days, so if it did have a Windows licence it'd be fine.

Pete J likes this.