1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bloomberg claims new evidence of Supermicro server sabotage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Oct 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is the Yossi Appleboum Bloomberg claim is supporting their claim the same Yossi Appleboum that disagrees with how Bloomberg is positioning his research against Supermicro?

Bloomberg either need to stop digging before they do irreparable damage to their reputation or put up some credible evidence.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't know if Bloomberg has updated the story since Appleboum's commentary there, but his biggest complaint appears to be unfounded: He's arguing that making it all about Supermicro is wrong 'cos he's found evidence of the same attacks against multiple vendors, but Bloomberg's piece quotes him as saying the exact same thing. It's even in my article:

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The problem (IMO) is that the Bloomberg article singles out Supermicro, and specifically China, when hardware level attacks are not exclusive to either, yes the article mentions that he has seen similar manipulations of different vendors' computer hardware but the rest of that sentence makes clear that those different vendors' computer hardware [is] made by contractors in China.

What i take issue with is how Bloomberg is framing this, initially, as a problem with Supermicro and now as a Chines problem when it's not exclusive to either of those, validating hardware is an industry wide problem.

5. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

PsyOps for some American plan!

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Given the epic damage that this has done to SuperMicro's stock valuation, I still think this is a stock manipulation tactic. Especially since, as Corky42 points out, hardware validation is an industry-wide issue.

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

If bloomberg can't prove this they are going get sued to hell by supermicro as they have cost money to them (stock shares and possibly loss sales)

Tags: Add Tags