1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Different bad, for me at least. They changed so many little and not so little things about the storyline(s), the characters, relationships, settings and timelines. I feel like it is just another sci-fi hollywood series. The book is in a whole other league. But, as I said before and never seem to tire to repeat apparently, this is the way popular (as in, modern and part of the popular culture of 16 to 49 year olds) books are made into movies today. For examples, see The Dark Tower, Maze Runner, Hunger Games, and Ready Player One.

Brilliant bit of pub quiz kind of knowledge with the Hendrix/Raven thing, though. Cheers! :thumb:

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well, at least I'm not the only one who has some... issues with the TV adaptation :). Some of the changes I can understand, but many are pointless. To be honest though there's a lot of introspection and internal monologue happening in the book that is hard to adapt to screen (without a cheesy voiceover).

It's apparently been signed for a second season, and I think that Broken Angels (second book in the series) is absolutely perfect for a TV adaptation. Despite having read the book countless times there's a lot goes on in Broken Angels that I find really hard to visualise, especially towards the end. Plus there's a lot less important character history to f' with.

I'd highly recommend reading the rest of the books: Broken Angels (book 2) and Woken Furies (book 3).

EDIT:

Source on this: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/altered-carbon-creator-explains-the-shows-biggest-/1100-6456691/

perplekks45 likes this.
  3. perplekks45

I already have Broken Angels nad Woken Furies here, so I will dive into them soon-ish. Thanks for the recommendation, now I'm just looking forward to getting into them even more.

And you're definitely not alone. Book adaptations in the last few years... don't get me started.

4. perplekks45

Finished The Whites, different from what I expected but quite a good read.

Also finished (in no particular order):

Dan Brown - Origin (and I hated it)
    Sylvain Neuvel - Only Human (great end to a brilliant trilogy)
    Stephen King - The Outsider (started off well, switched direction mid-way, both parts great fun if you like SK's work)
    James Lovegrove - Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows
    James Lovegrove - Sherlock Holmes and the Miskatonic Monstrosities (blending Holmes stories with Lovecraftian themes? why, thank you very much!)
    Pierce Brown - Iron Gold (just as much fun as the rest of the Red Rising series, but that cliffhanger at the end...)

Next up... I don't know. I have so many books waiting for me I just cannot decide what to read.

5. perplekks45

To revive this thread, this is part of what I read since my last post:

Novels:
    Adam Nevill - Under a Watchful Eye
    Neil Gaiman - Norse Mythology
    Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho

Comics/graphic novels:

Scott Snyder / Jeff Lemire - A.D. After Death
    Ed Brubaker / Sean Phillips - Fatale (vol. 1)
    Brubaker / Phillips - Criminal (vol. 1)
    Brubaker / Phillips - The Fade Out (vol. 1)
    Warren Ellis - Shipwreck
    Gillen / McKelvie / Wilson / Cowles - The Wicked + The Divine (everything there is so far)
    Kirkman - Outcast (vol. 6)
    Hickman - East of West (vol. 8)

Currently reading:

Jordan B. Peterson - 12 Rules for Life
    Cixin Liu - The Wandering Earth
    Marjorie Liu - Monstress (vol. 3)

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Just bought and finished "Only Human" by Sylvain Neuvel, and it certainly leaves me wanting more from that particular universe.
    Also recently finished "Green Mars". Hunting around for "Blue Mars" now.

Spent two weeks in Scotland (one week in and around Weymyss Bay, and one week on Isle of Skye) this summer, and bought a few books over there. Among these were were;

Origin - Dan Brown (Not his best work, but entertaining enough)
    Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky (An excellent read though a bit slow in the middle)

perplekks45 likes this.
  7. perplekks45

Just read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Yes, that's very short, but it's also very good.

Neuvel built a brilliant trilogy, didn't he?

Origin was... just so bad, in my opinion. But maybe Brown just isn't for me anymore.

Children of Time is great world-building. But yes, it drags on a little bit.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Last things i read:

Marc Priestley - The Mechanic (Good insight into McLaren F1 of the past, Ron Dennis, and how things work there)
    Bruce Dickinson - What does this button do (this is an AMAZING read)
    David Lee Roth - Crazy from the Heat (pa trash fire in structure and writing style, but a solid insight into the glory days of rock music from behind the scenes)

Now reading (somewhat controversially, I guess): Jordan Peterson - 12 rules of life. - no comment on that at all. It's a curiosity read, between my uni-required-reading.

10. perplekks45

Finished 12 Rules for Life by J. Peterson. Inspiring stuff.

Why no comment? PM if you don't want to discuss this publicly.

Currently reading:

Shadows over Baker Street (Lovecraft meets Sherlock Holmes short story collection)

11. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

A tatty copy of 'The Shock Doctrine' by Naomi Klein I found in a local charity shop.

Pretty shocking stuff (pun not intended), in some ways eye-opening even. It's also covers a whole chapter of history I previously knew almost nothing about (military dictatorships in South America).
    Only halfway through the book, looking forward its analysis of more recent history. Reads pretty well for being so densely packed with information.

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

After watching the Black Sails series, my dad passed me this book and said it’s known as the most reliable source for information which includes some of the characters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Mainly because my "between study materials" book, meaning I get to read 2 pages a week or so right now... Also - I am not a fan of the "self help" genre at all, and mainly bought it because I find Peterson interesting because he's polarising... not sure whether I agree with him or not yet. ;)

More committed reading right now:
    Iain Currie & Johan De Waal - The Bill of Rights Handbook

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The Expanse - currently on book 5, Nemesis Games.

Really enjoying the books, I only bought this one on Monday and I'm nearly done with it already. So far the TV show does seem to follow the book quite well. They've added a lot to it and have made changes with some characters (as well as creating some that never existed in the first place), but on the whole it follows the broader story line pretty well. So far it's a tie between Chrisjen Avasarala and Amos as my favourite characters. Have to say, Shohreh Aghdashloo's performance in the TV show absolutely nails Chrisjen - Wes Chatham does a damn fine job of Amos too.

Next: torn between carrying on with The Expanse, picking Discworld back up, or reading The Martian - I don't like to have more than one book on the go at once.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Shohreh Aghdashloo is ace.

16. perplekks45

Fair enough. And I completely agree, he's insanely polarising (by choice). While I don't blindly follow his "teachings" he is right in one of his major points, I feel: people are just complaining more about things these days. Sometimes I just want to shout into somebody's face "just man up!". Maybe that's just me.

Back to work now, very likely finishing Lovecraft meets Sherlock tomorrow on the train. Not sure what to read after that.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The Expanse is the only thing I've really seen her in, but she absolutely owns the character. Most of the characters in the books are depicted slightly differently - at least physically - than their TV show counterparts and I can kinda picture that in my head. Except Chrisjen and Amos - those two actors are those characters in my head :).

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I recently finished all three books from the Remembrance of Earth's Past (that's that 3 body problem series to you and me), enjoyed them, but certainly not a favourite.

Then went on a bit of a Neil Gaiman binge as the antidote (Good Omens and Neverwhere being old favourites of mine).

I would like to dive into another meaty sci-fi trilogy or series though - any recommendations?

19. perplekks45

Have you heard of Cixin Liu? If you haven't read them already, go out there and grab his books.

20. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

That is the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy I believe - I liked it, but not a gigantic fan.

perplekks45 likes this.