1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Can Plex or Kodi not do what you want?

2. gosh

gosh Minimodder

already got both on it but this is a project to have a tablet in a picture frame on the wall, showing news/weather/notifications on standby and streaming music from spotify/network to BT soundbar like a pub digital jukebox. got everything sorted but the bloomin' news on lock screen which after further reading seems impossible so unless windows has a big overlay/reskin app i'm androiding it

3. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

HI I have searched for this but couldn't find anything here. I did find that others have had similar problems with update 1709.
    When it first installed on my PC (Win 10 Pro) I noticed that it had created duplicates of some of the entries in the Start Menu and had suffixed some of the shortcuts on the Start Page with an (1).
    Having seen others have this problem it seems as if it is because I have programs sorry apps (pff) installed on different drives.
    Fortunately the fix was to roll back and postpone updates. I accidentally just downloaded it again and it installed whilst I was away from the PC.
    Guess what, it f'd up all my menu and shortcuts again. Another roll back fixed it again, but I am wondering a couple of things.
    1. How long can I keep just rolling back
    2. Is there a fix for this?
    Surely this can't be going unnoticed at M$ house!!!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I love how people get all sniffy about "app". It's not a modern term, y'know. Has nothing to do with smartphones, either. It was in common use in the early 1980s, and I'm sure you've heard of things being described as a "killer app" - first recorded usage 1988.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Explained perfectly by stackoverflow.com:

A computer program is a set of instructions that can be executed on a computer. An application is software that directly helps a user perform tasks. The two intersect, but are not synonymous. A program with a user-interface is an application, but many programs are not applications.

6. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Yeh, don't you just hate it. :p

Anyhoo (hoping nobody objects to the use of the term anyhoo),
    Us olduns need something to moan about.
    "I remember what it was all programs around here."

Thanks stackoverflow.com via Sentinel-R1

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I always thought that was an Apple / Microsoft thing. As in the classic MacOS (7?) called them applications and Windows (95?) called them programs.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's that, too: the index in the Windows 95 User Guide tells those looking for "applications" to see "programs."

Most developers, though, called GUI based stuff "applications," regardless of what Microsoft says - and APIs have never been PPIs (claim now!)

EDIT:
    Popped up to the office and pulled a few documents. The Commodore Amiga Workbench 3.0 User's Guide has in its glossary 'application - A program or collection of programs that perform a specific task, such as a word processor, database, or video titler'; the Commodore Amiga A1200 User's Guide also refers to inserting an 'application disk'; the (unofficial) Windows 95 Bug Book refers to 'business applications' on the rear-cover blurb (though a quick skim found it tended to use 'programs' and 'software' internally), and while my Penguin Computer Dictionary appears to have gone walkabouts my copy of Sippl & Sippl's Computer Dictionary and Handbook (1966 first edition, my copy's the updated 1972 second edition) gives us the clearest definition with the entry 'application package - A series of interrelated routines and subroutines designed to perform a specific task.'

It's probably worth pointing out that when my copy of Sippl & Sippl was printed, Apple Computers was -4 years old.

EDIT EDIT:
    Was putting Sipple & Sipple to bed and had another look for Penguin - still can't find it, and I'm concerned it may have inadvertently ended up in one of the 18 boxes of books that went to charity when I moved offices last - but I did come across Christie & Christie's The Encyclopaedia of Microcomputer Terminology, which has this to add: 'SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS - Programs designed to perform a specific user function, for example, general ledger, payroll, inventory control, and environmental control.' It's also new enough, at 1984, to have 'APPLICATIONS, GAME' as an entry - something missing from Sippl & Sippl, which only has 'game theory.'

Last edited: 21 Oct 2018
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea the two are pretty interchangeable and not even being a twinkle in my dad's eye in 1966 i wouldn't know one way or the other, by the sounds of it applications came first, i think the programs thing came about because of the PC 'master' race thing Microsoft subtly tried to cultivate.

It's wasted marketing on me though as I've always called it software. :)

10. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I love Windows 10 and it's utter stupidity...

Install GPU drivers manually so that I have the latest from Intel ...

Now Win Update kicks in:

[​IMG]

The best part is that it is constantly flicking between the two, all by itself!

Better yet ... I have the automatic driver install disabled. Oh Microsoft, how I love thy.