1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Motorized side panels?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BU5H W00K1E, 16 Oct 2018.

1. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

Not sure if i have the prefix right if not please fix.
    So planing my next build and I have always loved the idea of being able to operate a switch and have the side panels either swing open, or slide up or back/forward, then have them be able to go back into the original position. I am having trouble location parts or guides on how to do this. Does anyone have any ideas or anything? Would like to purchase a kit i can put together or something rather simple.

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Not counting the whole sliding mechanism:
    * for sliding front/back - belt + motor (geared down DC would be easiest to control) + couple limit switches and diodes should be enough, add arduino or similar if you want finer control and can program.
    * for sliding up - might get away with belts if panel is light enough, but probably want a lead screw (with belts, holding panel up and/or not crashing if the power fails is a big problem).
    * for swinging open - depends on you overall pivoting mechanism, size of the panel, etc. Might get away with motor and couple gears, might need a linear actuator.
    I doubt you'll find a kit, but most of the parts can be found on aliexpress/ebay or specialized 3D printer/CNC stores.
    Electromechanical motor control:
    motorCtrl.PNG

Last edited: 16 Oct 2018
  3. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I spent a bunch of time over on robot maker forums when i was playing around with open and close things on Disco scorp... ended up modding some servo's for free spinning motion.

With a couple of micro moment switches for "bump stops" just like xlog says above.

If you go belts pullys etc DIY Perks on YT has a really simple diy TV lift that explains alot.

4. HCMOD

HCMOD What's a Dremel?

I believe u need some mehcanical support too instead of working the motor part alone. try add hydraulic. U can reduce requirement of motor torques [​IMG]

5. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

That,s a gas strut HC !!!! :wallbash: the motor would have to work its @ss off to retract it !:duh:

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor