1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Found my long-lost NVMe screw & standoff (safely stowed in a box of PC screws, where I apparently put it for safe keeping 5 months ago) instead of having to pay EIGHTEEN POUNDS!?!?!?!?!?! for a replacement.

Arboreal likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Linux Mint 19.

Loaded onto my laptop to test out the Steam Play in the hope that I can ditch Windows in the future on my desktop. I've tinkered before with Linux but not stayed.

This laptop was a bit of a pain on Windows, drivers, conflicts, multiple reinstalls and the like generally linked to the 850m. Anyway I was able to use it but it could be annoying and BSOD.

Mint 19. Loaded up. Updated. Running. It's quicker and been 100% stable. It's blown Windows away for this laptop.

My laptop is now awesome.

This is good because if I can show the good lady how well it works then I may be able to convince her to have it too as she doesn't game and it will make life easier.

Edit: Meltdown and Spectre checked and passed. See Windows, it can be done on older hardware.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2018
    IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm a petty sod that likes loud music and power tools - I'm either the bad neighbour or on level pegging!

But yes, for normal people, that is probably also worth making the list.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Ah, hmm... I think I might actually be the bad neighbour as well now you mention

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Space and decent internet. Oh and no train station within 100m.

adidan likes this.
  6. liratheal

I try and be considerate, but still. Sometimes I get carried away and time makes fools of us all!

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I too try, but also have a 3600w sub, a further 24 speakers of various shapes and sizes, and two of the noisiest production cars of recent times, whaddya gonna do, right? :lol:

liratheal likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Second half of my pay rise was approved today. Don't know when it takes effect, but either way it's been approved. Might have taken me a few more years than I'd planned, and it's been a long hard road to get this far, but I'm pretty chuffed with that.

Vault-Tec, IanW, Arboreal and 3 others like this.
  9. liratheal

My right hand is numb - Not for that reason - But because aside from DoomGuy's face, there's not much more I can do to this with a dremel;

[​IMG]

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Are you using a snake? or holding the whole Dremel in your hand?

11. liratheal

I'm using the 'flex shaft' which sounds far too perverted, and the engraving bits (Little cutting balls on sticks, pretty much). They're about a decade old, so no doubt someone with more patience and newer, sharper, tools could get a more consistent straight line, but.

12. Vault-Tec

ah ok. Yeah a "flex shaft" (I call it a snake) is like going at it with a pen, rather than a chisel.

I used milling bits when engraving ages ago. Worked real well. The little rounded ones are awesome, shame they've all been broken lol. I also noticed how hot the tool gets when holding it, so I rarely use it without the snake now. Amazing how long the tool has lasted tbh (B&D Firestorm). I've physically melted it about six times. IE, whatever holds the chuck melted and it refused to even spin. I let it cool down, good as gold lol. God it's had some abuse...

13. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Had this done at the weekend for my first (proper) tattoo.

[​IMG]

Wakka, Byron C and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  14. Vault-Tec

Yay the new Halloween is on at my local (tiny) cinema next week. Deffo going :D

15. Vault-Tec

Wow.

Many years ago now a friend of mine used to work at Gamestop in the USA. He knew what a Fallout freak I was, and when New Vegas released he planned a surprise for me (a big one, 48" by 30" !). Sadly it never arrived, and he ended up 'fessing about 3 months later what it was.

Then two weeks after that? it arrived. It had been to Australia. Still makes me laugh every time I see that on the box.. Any way, it was a billboard (solid card) for the launch of Fallout New Vegas. Like a really, really big thick poster. However, it's massive, and I didn't want to pin it to the wall like some teenager so I just left it rolled up in the tube it came in (he never hung it, as he didn't want it getting damaged).

Well, here I am literally 8 years after the game launched and I have finally ordered a frame for it. Sadly the largest I could go was 880 x 840mm, but it is 838 wide (perfect) and of course much more than 880 tall. It is 48". However, there is a lot on the bottom I don't like. Like a quote from an Xbox magazine, for example. So, I decided I am going to cut it. I will lose the Fallout New Vegas logo itself, but it is one of these guys.

[​IMG]

And he is standing right next to the big neon New Vegas sign any way. The important part for me is the date on it, as it is American (so 10.19.2010)

So happy. Since my ex left and took all the pictures with her I've had this huge gap on the wall behind my sofa with a very heavy duty mount on the wall (we had a mirror on there).

So it'll go there, pride of place.

It only took me 8 years :D will get pics once it's all fitted etc.

Ed. It's this image..

[​IMG]

IanW and adidan like this.
  16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

10 days of utter bliss...

[​IMG]

adidan likes this.
  17. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Just looking at car insurance quotes as mine is up for renewal next month.

Cheapest annual quote for a 2016 1.2l Suzuki Swift ZS4 - £337

Just out of curiosity and knowing I'll have considerably more car budget this time next year...

Cheapest annual quote for a 2018 2.0l Civic Type-R - £584

That's dangerously tempting!

Byron C likes this.
  18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Other half has been with Admiral for 10 years with zero claims. When we got the new car they put the price up from £35 to £65 per month for the same cover (third party fire & theft). Hastings Premier offered fully comp with only £75 total excess and protected NCD - plus a ton of extra cover like legal protection, windscreen, recovery, etc - for £45 a month. Admiral wouldn't even try to match it, tried to give me some waffle about higher risk factors with it being a newer car, and she's got no experience driving a car like that, and blah blah blah... Nope, f--- 'em.

19. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Never stick with the same company. Always call around at the time of renewal for your best prices. :)

IanW likes this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Offer accepted.

I'll say no more before the survey is done so as not to tempt fate.

IanW, The_Crapman and TheMadDutchDude like this.