1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Doubled up in pain after assuming a soft drink i'd not had adverse reactions to in the past was still fine for me to drink...

**** you artificial sweeteners.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

What drink was it? Coca-Cola is pretty much the only real pop left. Honestly, if I ever met Jamie Slobbiver on the street it would take every fibre of my being not to smash his fat face into oblivion.

3. RedFlames

It was one of the Mars milkshake things. I can't drink coke either any more either, but for different reasons.

ATM the only thing I'm definitely fine with is some American import cream soda [Virgil's I think it's called], which isn't the cheapest option.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

PayPal and their utter incompetence.

I'll give you the story...

Someone was selling an Intel i9 7900X as untested. I got suckered in to paying $266 for the pleasure (auction) and soon found out that it may possibly be a fake. I tested it in my X299 motherboard, and it exhibited the exact same behaviour as an 'unlabeled' X299 CPU. Thinking that it may just be dead, I tried to send it off to Intel for an RMA. They swiftly told me that the APTO and FPO number did not match anything in their system; and it may have come from an OEM system. Well, they would know whether it was OEM or retail, regardless of the fact.

So, I immediately thought it was a fake and began to look into it further. I compared the front of it in high res to another high res image from Google, and quickly concluded that it may very well be a fake. The lines weren't as crisp, nor were the letters evenly spaced ... better yet, they weren't even straight!

I proceeded to call PayPal to file a dispute as eBay refused to deal with me due to it being a 'for parts or not working' listing. Surprising, really, as that never works for me. They always seem to get a return through eBay when I sell stuff in that condition. /rant on that part.

I explained to PayPal that I'd done my research and told them what Intel said to me via their resolution center. They accepted this and opened a dispute. A day later, they gave me the address to mail the CPU back to, and I thought I was in the clear. Ohhhh no, no, nooooope. Not even close.

The tracking started and I gave them the number, as required. I waited for it to get delivered, but then saw that the parcel got intercepted twice. Yes, not once, twice! It went back to the sorting center and then went out for delivery the following day. It states in the tracking that it was delivered to the original sender, in Utah. I am in Ohio. PayPal saw this and immediately emailed me that I clearly have the item and have therefore denied my request, failing to see that literally two lines down it mentions it's in UT, not OH. I mean, there's only about 2000 miles between us ... no biggie, right?

I called up to dispute this, and they sent it through to those higher up. I get an email just before I go to bed the same day (22:54, to be exact) and they say that they've declined my appeal as the tracking number was not valid. Say what?! It's very much a valid number, especially given that their customer rep who forwarded the case noted this in the case file...

So, I called them this morning at 9am when they opened, and I'm currently waiting for them to get back to me. The agent went through all of the records and indeed saw that the parcel was delivered 'to original sender' but is still in UT and not in OH. Someone with some brains, maybe...? She also noted in the case that it was intercepted, which immediately *should* win the case in my favour. It's in their T&Cs for ****s sake. She copied and pasted that into the case that was forwarded to the powers that be.

Now I'm waiting for the email to say that they've still denied my request.

That's where I'm at. **** PayPal and their stupidity.

PS: Here's the tracking that apparently 'is not valid' ...

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=9516413948898284225138

Edit: Looks like PayPal has literally just emailed me ... and the verdict is ...

Dum dum duuuuuummmmm...

They decided in my favour and I will be receiving a refund in 3-5 business days.

I'm a little less pissed off right now, but I am still annoyed that I had to go through such an annoying process to get this resolved.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2018
    maxlxyd, Pliqu3011 and MLyons like this.
  5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Toothache wow it's stupidly painful.

Managed to get an emergency appointment with my dentist this morning, having tried to get appointments last week after having a tooth pulled last week and 2 fillings, even tried the emergency out of hours dentist but they couldn't fit me in over the weekend, even went to A&E and they turned me away saying to just wait till I can get an appointment at my dentist.

Running on about 8 hours sleep since Tuesday last week, and barely being able to eat anything.

Worst thing is I am supposed to be at my dentists on Thursday this week for another 1 or 3 fillings and then got to have a wisdom tooth removed within the next 2 weeks as well so not looking forward to that.

It just makes me want to get something to numb my mouth and just rip them all out.

Edit
    Infection in the extraction site so antibiotics and stronger painkillers.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2018
  6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

job waiting anxiety, trying to sidestep out of the IT industry and had an interview on Friday for a sweet AF position working just down the road at a company as a CAM design engineer.

feel like my stomach is doing hula hoops around my arse

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

I've had infections after 2 extractions so can very much sympathise. Just be careful if you're on codeine as I got hideously constipated with one of them as was mostly eating soup soaked bread and wheatabix. The pain caused in the infected hole from trying to push out a solid giant turd was quite horrendous.

damien c likes this.
  8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Neighbors ran over the homeless cat that generally chills in my bushes, or welcomes me home every damn day, or keeps me company when I’m smoking outside I thought he was theirs so never invited him in, as it turns out his owners moved away 3 months ago and left the poor thing behind. It’s been freezing and raining out lately and if I knew he was outside he would have been welcome in. He was absolutely screaming outside my door, and must have been going through absolute terror the poor thing…

Sleep tight little one

9. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Dog collapsed while walking at weekend and cause is some fluid he has around his heart and on his abdomen also has what the vet thought (a year ago!) was a fatty cyst on his flank and is now likely a mast cell tumour - needs to have a heart scan on Wednesday to confirm/rule out a heart tumour as cause of fluid and vet has added an abdominal scan to the list of things she'd like to do - along with a fine needle aspiration of his lump to confirm it is a tumour and determine the stage he's at, abdominal scan will tell us if the tumor has metastacized and is the secondary cause of the fluid (although he had idiopathic pericardial effusion 3 years ago but that was probably unrelated as they found nothing wrong with him after £2500 (he was insured that time!) worth of poking and prodding), if it hasn't and it's just a benign growth they'll want to chop the lump out...... he's not insured as it was £90 month for basic coverage when he turned 9 earlier this year. Cost so far = £550 and then add to that the scans on Weds = £260 (£130 for heart and same for abdominal - despite being done by same person at same time in same room with same equip and same sedation..... £100 for needle aspiration and cytology tests, then potentially £700 for removing probable tumour - grand total = minimum of £1600 to go on the credit card as you can bet your ass they won't do a payment plan for a monthly standing order to avoid interest charges on the card :waah: We'll do the scans and if he doesn't have a gut full of cancer we'll do the needle aspiration....... then maybe the lumpectomy - if he has a gut full of cancer, we'll ask for a frank and direct prognosis - if its grim we'll euthanise him before he declines further and if its reasonable we'll see about palliative care to get him to 10 years old and then make a decision about euthanasia - breaks my heart but can't have him as a shadow of what he was, at the moment he's 90% of what he was as diuretics are clearing the fluid and there is a small chance that he'll live another few years if we throw the money required at the problems.

tl:dr - Dog is probably very very ill with cancer and may need to be euthanised this week

10. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That’s very sad. Sorry to hear that, dude. :(

I remember putting down our beloved dog on New Year’s Day this year. It’s not easy, but don’t keep prodding the poor woofer with needles because YOU don’t want it to end. Think of the animal. It sounds like you are, though.

11. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Yup, his quality of life is our primary concern - which is why i'm up at 12.38am so he can relieve himself at 1am and then 2am so he'll make it to 6.30am with minimal stress. Will break me to have to let him go if thats whats needed - i had dreams of him passing in his sleep at 13/14 years old but that is a very remote possibility now sadly. He's lurking outside lounge to let me know he now needs relief :hehe:

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yeah the constipation is very real, especially after taking normal Painkillers every 4 hours with Ibuprofen at the same time.

Had another sleepless night last night, I just want a decent night's sleep for once got 2 hours sleep last night.

13. RedFlames

Something is really hinky with my PC's clock...

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If it's doing the same as mine, open "Adjust date/time" then turn "Set time automatically" off & on again.
    I think my BIOS clock is set to GMT, and Windows is forgetting to add daylight savings on bootup.

15. RedFlames

Toggling the setting fixes the time, but doesn't stop the clock weirdness from happening. [Having 'automatically set date/time' and 'automatically set time zone' tuned off doesn't seem to have helped]

I originally thought the RTC battery was on it's way out as it seemed to only do it when it woke from sleep [as in when it woke the clock was still set to roughly whatever the time was when it was put to sleep]. But now it's started doing it whilst the PC is in use.
    ...and event logs are useless because they use the system's local time so given the clock is often out by anything up to 8 hours I can't reliably determine what's happened and when.

16. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Credit card fraud. Got an alert just as I was sitting in the departure lounge at the airport. Travelling without a personal credit card (at least I had a corporate card in case of emergency). Back home and waiting for replacement card to arrive.

17. The_Crapman

How long you out for? You can get an emergency card sent out to your destination.

18. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It was a quick trip of a couple days. It was easierjust to have the replacement sent to me at home. I am actually finding that being at home without the credit card more of an annoyance then when I travelled.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

IBS. It started on the last day of my holiday and has continued since. Last two days I have literally slept all day.

Ah well, I could be doing worse things I guess.

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I mentioned I know how to use Oracle databases at work...

Now I have all the Oracle and sql faults in my queue.