1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB3 cables over 5M? active cable having dropouts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Springs, 23 Oct 2018.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

Hi all,

Does anyone have any direct experience with USB3 cables over 5M? I brought a 8m active cable which has additional usb power lead which I've plugged into a mains adaptor.

I have my keyboard attached to this cable and its causing an issue in typing where it's missing keystrokes or hitting extra keys. The keyboard was working before i introduced this cable so its the only thing i can put it down to.

Are usb over Ethernet adaptors any good and if so can anyone recommend a good one?

2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

What is your application that you need 8m of cable? There might be other alternatives?
    I haven't directly worked with USB 2.0 over Ethernet but I have co-workers that have in an industrial setting. There impression was that it was finicky and not all manufacturers created equal goods.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Sounds like a dodgy cable to me. 8m isn't that far. A cheap 5m USB 2.0/3.0 active cable without a separate power supply should do the job. Just add a shorter decent quality non-active extension after the active one (say 5m active>2/3m passive>device cable).
    Active usb extensions shouldn't (and haven't in my experience) cause a problem with mouse/keyboard input.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2018
  4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

Computer now sits on the wall further from where it use to. I'd decided to wrap the usb cable round the side of the room to where i sit.

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Have you considered wireless? Depending on condition you should expect 5-10 meters with Bluetooth or Logitech's unified receiver. That will be line of sight rather than wrapped around the edge of the room.

6. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i use to have a K800 but it lost a few keys so i replaced it with a cabled keyboard.

i switched to a gaming keyboard and at the time couldn't find a gaming keyboard that had what i wanted and was wireless

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Does your keyboard computer support PS/2? I don't recall the length but it supports fairly long cables. Not sure how that translates if you use a USB to PS/2 adapter.

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I bought a very long USB3 cable for my rear Rift sensor. Can't remember the exact length I ordered but it must be in the region of 8m at least as there's plenty of slack left.

Anyway, it was an Amazon Basics USB3 cable and I've never had a problem with it.

9. Springs

Springs Boing boing

so after some further investigation and a fluke i believe i've found the issue :( The keyboard itself is a corsair RGB keyboard and with it working fine beforehand i didn't think it would be the issue.

i thought in the first place that it might have been due to lack of power coming from the cable so i plugged in a powered port replicator that i had to see if that would make a difference but it didn't. thought it might have been the cable so i picked up another one and that was the same.

Then as i turned the computer on later on that day the keyboard didn't light up but was still usable and it looked to be working fine.

i re-seated the keyboard usb cable and the issue came back. managed to try in another computer and that was working fine over the cable.

i then went about and Killed the icue software and the issue cleared itself. restarted and the issue came back. so it looks like icue doesn't like the setup :(

which means that to have a fully working keyboard i'd have to stick with a single static colour profile that sits on the keyboards memory

10. Xir

Xir Modder

I'm sure you solved it....but still, just in case.

Are you sure your keyboard needs USB3?
    If USB2 suffices, i can highly reccommend the DELOCK 82446 active USB 2 Extension.
    Doesn't need an external power source and is 10m and works like a charm in industrial enironments.