1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Your best and worst graphic card purchase.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Otis1337, 27 Sep 2018.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Man after my own. RGB belongs on someone's XR3I or a carnival float, not a high performance computer. Function over form every time.

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

But......
    [​IMG]

Best card(s) have to be the Orchid Righteous Voodoo 2 12MB in SLI!!!! Carmageddon TDR looked glorious in 1024x768. Followed by the ATI 9700 Pro, damn great card.

Worst card(s) had to be the ATI x1900xt in Crossfire.... all I used to play was TF2 and the kill cam used to flicker like mad in CF, and only in CF, and I used to get killed a lot.... pffft

I have the Asus Strix 1080Ti and while it's the fastest card I've owned, I don't look back fondly on the purchase and think... that was a great deal.

3. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Its taken me a while to actually think of a card I had regrets about buying. Then it came to me. Diamond Edge with its own sound card bolted into it. It was actually slower than the card I was using before, ATI Mach 64 Pro Turbo. Never has a card been taken out any of my PC's and then sent back to Aria Technology as fast it was delivered.

Best card ? Easy my current GTX 1060 in my Ryzen build :)

4. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Think the worst purchase was a FX5200 ... which was awful and I think I paid £90 all those years ago.

Best bang for buck was the X800 XTPE from some guy on eBay... I remember it was around 2/3 of retail price at the time .. I bit the bullet and it turned out perfectly.

On current times the EVGA 1070 has turned into a sterling purchase ... but then at £419 Aug 2016 ... so it bloody should be.

5. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Best #1: ATI Radeon X700 I bought in 2004 so I could upgrade the family computer to be capable of playing Half-life 2. It was my first major jump into PC gaming and Half-life 2 has remained my favorite game to this day.

Best #2: ASUS 6950 2Gb DirectCU II. This card is what allowed me to game with triple monitor eyefinity. I loved it so much. I still smile thinking about how much fun that was to game on.

Best #3: Low-profile Zotac GTX 1050ti. It turned my aging HTPC into something that can do VR decently. It's been a great card for the price and such a huge upgrade from the R7 260X I had in it.

Worst: The pair of 9800gt cards I got so I could do that shiny new SLI thing. I would have been better off getting a faster single card and the 9800gt was little more than a resticker of the 8800. Oh well. I did use them for many years and I put fanless heat syncs on them and moved them to an earlier iteration of my HTPC. So I had fun with them.

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Powercolor 290 PCS+ on a insane cheap deal before the GPU prices whent loopy about end of 2014.

After a few months kept getting back screens at idle due to some unresolved power management issue.

RMA got a Asus 290X matrix Plat.

You guessed it also did same thing after a few months.

RMA that and got a 480 8GB Matrix Plat, that worked fine

TBF i would have rather the original 290 just work from day one it was a pita having a unstable computer on and off for two years.

Cant fault OCUK RMA though either tbf.

Best is prob still original Voodoo 3 2000, still got it too :)

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Best was the EVGA GTX670 Superclock I got for under £300 about 2 weeks after launch. Within 5% of a stock GTX680 with a little OC, ran cool and quiet and was BY FAR the longest serving GPU I ever owned (all the way from 2012 through to 2016!).

Runner up is the GTX 1050Ti Strix. Again, got it for a bargain price (£137) and punched well above it's weight (and power consumption!).

Donkeys include a 9800GX2 that disabled 1 GPU when it got too hot - which it did QUICKLY - and a 6870 with a wonky DVI port that required me to unplug/plug the cable in 2 or 3 times before it would output an image every time I booted it up.