1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Photo and Video Editing PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bagman, 3 Nov 2018.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Hello,

Its been a while and a friend wants me to build them a photo and video editing pc.

So far this is what I have come up with:
    Fractal Define R5 - he wants to space to add lots of hard drives in the future
    PSU EVGA BQ500W
    MOBO ASUS ROG STRIX B450
    CPU AMD RYZEN 2400G
    RAM 16GB 3000MHZ Corsair
    SSD Samsung 250GB 960 EVO
    HDD Seagate 2TB
    Cooler Scythe Ninja 4
    and 2 140mm Fractal Fans

The budget is around £1000 or so but if i can keep it down he will be happy.

I choose that motherboard because it has display port, HDMI and USB-C. To utilise those ports i have to have a AMD VEGA CPU right?

Also want to check that USB-C port supports video over it, as he has a special wacom tablet to plug into it.

What do you guys think? will that CPU and ram be good enough for photo and video editing? Or should I go 2600 and a separate GPU?

The programs he plan to use are the adobe suites.

Cheers
    Bagman

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

That will be fine for photo and yes there is a VEGA 11 GPU there.

As for video.. depends on the video but rate, format, resolution etc.. most people I know who edit video in 4k on h.264/265 with high bit rates have struggled even with chips similar to the i7 6700 (which you basically have here).

In be looking at 6 core or even 8 core Ryzen. 16gb of ram is also your lower limit so factor in the space to upgrade in the future.

I'd say a dedicated GPU is required but the way Intel's onboard handles this now I'd like to think the VEGA can do the same so you'll save money there.

Spec wise... Scan sell systems similar to the spec you've mentioned but with no SSD and half the storage space for about £550. Bringing in a better CPU with that in mind for an own build should still bring you under budget with some cash to spare.

bagman likes this.
  3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

What software do you use for video editing?

Because some of them make use of the GPU while others don't, this will significantly impact what components are a good idea.

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I did look at the 2600 but then I won't have the displayport, HDMI and USB-C functionality of the motherboard. I would have to go dedicated GPU and a expansion slot for the USB-C, and would expansion slot USB-C support video over the connection? This would also dramatically increase the cost of the build so was hoping a overclocked 2400G would be good enough.

The PC will be used for primarily photoshop and the video editing is not as much of a priority.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Ryzen is unfortuntaely not particularly quick in photoshop and going for a faster model than the 2400G you then run into the issue with needing a GPU, so going Intel would make sense... but: the current prices are silly.

It might be worth going used, I'm thinking along the lines of an i7-6700K / i7-7700K if you can find one at a reasonable price, even at stock they'll keep up with an 8 core Ryzen in photoshop and no need for a GPU plus much wider mobo and RAM selection.

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/amd_ryzen3_2200g_and_ryzen_5_2400g_review,14.html

Or a more detailed breakdown of photoshop performance here:
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...erformance-AMD-Ryzen-2-vs-Intel-8th-Gen-1136/
    While it doesn't include low end Ryzen the problem is still apparent.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2018
    bagman and edzieba like this.
  6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Thank you for those puget articles, I know now that you need a dedicated GPU and Intel is the way to go for Adobe Photoshop. I have revised the set up as follows:

Fractal Define R5
    PSU EVGA BQ500W
    MOBO Gigabyte Z370 HD3P
    CPU Intel 8350K
    RAM 16GB 3000MHZ Corsair
    SSD Intel Optane 32GB
    HDD Seagate 2TB
    Cooler Scythe Ninja 4
    GPU MSI 1050Ti
    and 2 140mm Fractal Fans

This set up will be much faster and I think USB-C over video will work due to Intel i3 chips having in built gpu.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That’ll make a great system for editing. :)

I’d throw a little more at the PSU and see if you can get your way up to a SuperNOVA of sorts. It will be the far superior unit, in every way. I don’t know what the price differences are, though. It might not be worth it.

I wouldn’t bother with Optane. Get a 240GB SSD and use the 2TB for data as planned.

bagman likes this.
  9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'll second that, a 240GB SSD is enough to fit the OS, the Adobe suite, and a scratch folder with your working files in. Optane caching of a HDD won't provide the same benefit.

bagman likes this.
  10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

My friend has decided to go a bit nuts on the spec so now we are on:

Fractal Define R5
    PSU EVGA BQ500W
    MOBO MSI Z390 PRO
    CPU Intel 9600k
    RAM 16GB 3000MHZ Corsair
    SSD Samsung 970 EVO 250GB
    HDD Seagate 2TB
    Cooler Scythe Ninja 4
    GPU MSI 1050Ti
    and 2 140mm Fractal Fans

Turns out wacom tablets over USB-C don't work that great and you have to use the USB-C and display port for windows use. Works for Macbook pro though apparently (the only thing that does...).

Again cheers guys for helping me out

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

There is the Sunix UPD2018 which will allow the Wacom tablet to work over Type-C (takes a DP input from the GPU to pass through as DP Alternate Mode) but it's not cheap so likely not worth it just to use a tidier cable.