1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ⭐ [Sponsored] Angl3d Ti - Dual loop | EKWB | ASUS ROG | be quiet! | Enermax | Teamgroup | by Zeuligan

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zeuligan, 4 Mar 2018.

1. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Thx alot <3

2. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

It was with equal excitement and anxiety I moved on to starting with the bottom base structure of my custom exterior. The concept in my mind has always been about the beautiful Nvidia 1080Ti design combined with a stelth fighter. With that in mind I also have one major problem to solve, each side needs to be equal to create a symetrical and balanced overall look and design.

With that in mind, without blueprints, my only solution will be to create, than recreate.

[​IMG]

I want a cleaner and calmer exterior than my PSU Shroud. Also I felt that to ensure symetry I need a few larger base pieces and rather accent them with more angles / triangles.
    After literally staring for the case for 60min, cutting templates in carbord, holding up acrylic pieces I decided for a base shape and marked it down on a 3mm sheet.

[​IMG]

Table clamp and hand saw felt easy but each time the saw gets stuck (and it does VERY easily) I broke the sheet. It's only 30mm wide at the base and 15mm at the tip and still 540mm long. Very fragile!

[​IMG]

After 2! extra round trips to the store and another 200€ in plexi I managed to create the first piece. I wish for a laser cuter!

[​IMG]

Reason I need to get more sheets every time I brake it, is that I wanted to keep the store (machine) cut edge against the glass. Only gives me 2 cuts / sheet to work with. But glad I took that decision. Looks really good.

[​IMG]

From above. Looks a little crooked, but this is before my 20min hand filing it edged and straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another 2h spent with cardboard and cursing, I decided on next step in the exterior design. Many angles to factor into each piece.

[​IMG]

This is a shot all to familiar after the PSU shroud. Hand filed angles to ensure maximum contact with a good end result.

[​IMG]

Before I could move on, I created and added 4 more cross-brackets to my feet/stand solution. Last chance before I mount the top layer permanently.

[​IMG]

Before I could do that, I need to create more airflow aswell as an access panel for future mounting needs. Nervous to cut, as I don't want to crack the entire plate forcing me to start over.

[​IMG]

Not a bad end result if I can say so my self. Still don't work with anything but small hand tools and hands.

[​IMG]

Nothing left to do but to use Acrifix ontop of my custom leg brackets and fixate the top layer.

[​IMG]

One last thing to do before mounting the first real pieces of the custom exterior. REPLICATE! This is how I think and will work with this mod. First create a part, ensure it work, mark it down not to loose the shape and size and after a successful mounting of one side. Replicate and repeat. First 2 shapes saved for the future...

[​IMG]

Very exciting to start to fixate the first parts of the custom exterior case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

540mm in length and angled outwards.

[​IMG]

While waiting for the first side to set I moved on to create the parts for the other side.

[​IMG]

Managed to saw the long part at first try, yeay...

[​IMG]

Just to show just how much hand filing I do for each piece. First to file it into the right shape and with straight edges. Then to angle the sides it eats away even more...

[​IMG]

All done. Acrylic is such a beautiful material.

[​IMG]

More clamps and Acrifix on the other side. Only time will tell at this point...

[​IMG]

Look at that. Already starting to look like a computer case :) Don't you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will give a good structure to work with and add more angled shapes. Will be able to finish both sides and the backside, but think I will need to leave the front. Not sure how the front will look like and still need to make the bottom part, front part and top part fit together. Will be a challenge, but a challenge for the future. First I need to finish the entire bottom part.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  3. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Zeuligan likes this.
  4. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Defyant Mods likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

200 EU for extruded? ROBBERY!

Zeuligan likes this.
  6. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

I bought 9 sheets of 750x500mmx3m and 4 sheets of 750x500x5mm (got mad of destroying so many so just bought what they had left).
    But yeah, wish I could find real acrylic in my neighbourhood...extruded is no fun working with

7. Cheapskate

Perhaps it's time to discuss... :worried: Wet cut tile saws. If you are going to be using that much of the stuff, you might as well get something that can cut it without melting. Some of the tabletop models are cheaper than a dremel nowadays.

Zeuligan likes this.
  8. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

You are spot on <3

Got a solution for this! A very exciting solution I can tell more about next week :thumb:

9. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Big progress on the base structure and bottom part of the custom pc casemod. With the last part of this mod finished with a fairly solid structure, this part will be all about filling the gaps in the exterior acrylic and make one solid structure.

[​IMG]

With the front part of the bottom almost done, I continued on the back side. First angle in place and I got my pattern and most of the parts already prepared.

[​IMG]

I just can't stop creating angles and triangles in this mod :)

[​IMG]

It will look amazing once it's done...I hope...

[​IMG]

Hard to see on the pictures, but each triangle creates an angled to the next.

[​IMG]

Two longer parts for the front, want the edge to move forward and create a bridge to the front exterior part.

[​IMG]

Forgot to replicate one piece, so had to measure and create a template.

[​IMG]

A litte bigger piece to stay with a balanced look of the exterior.

[​IMG]

Like an arm workout this mod. Spent hours with this little saw already. Not a bad tool for hand-cutting acrylic tbh.

[​IMG]

Final piece of the side. Long skarp edge.

[​IMG]

Both symetrical and a little kickass.

[​IMG]

Just the backside to close before the entire back

[​IMG]

Snug fit...

[​IMG]

Small triangles with even smaller angled edges. Not sure how many times I cut my self on the hand file making these two...

[​IMG]

Almost done...

[​IMG]

Looks a little messy, but as this will not be a transparent piece, I opted for speed and durability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fully assembled and without any protective plastic for the first time.

[​IMG]

Feet still fits perfectly and completes the angled look really nice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you wonder, no, it will not stay this way, but will be either wrapped in a matt black car vinyl or painted black, depending on what result works the best.

I would love to hear what you think...

Cheapskate and _Prometheus_ like this.
  10. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Totally Love it :rock::rock: havn't seen a cool custom base since........ lemme think......HP-RES 4 :D

Zeuligan likes this.
  11. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

You rock, made me so happy now.

Wait until you see the custom top and front :)

12. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Was with extra excitment that I was ready to start working with the front case part of this mod. I have had an idea about the front since I started this project. In fact, it was the idea of the front that even started this whole project.

[​IMG]

First I need to ensure it's located in the right location. Had an idea how to fasten this part. Still thinking modularity...

[​IMG]

10mm wide, small stuff...

[​IMG]

My idea of a fastening "tool" to get these clamps in the right location.

[​IMG]

Added Acryfix to create a ridge that I then filed down into a rectangular edge...

[​IMG]

All eight fastening brackets in place.

[​IMG]

Decided to go with a little different solution for the front. I need a frame to anchor the other parts. More stability and I can also create parts in different levels.

[​IMG]

Look at that. It snapped even harder than the original. Amazing what you can do with a little acrylic and a file.

[​IMG]

Next step is to start to build the shape and design of the front. After a few paper templates, tape and four mugs of coffee I decided for a design.

[​IMG]

Symetrical design requires two of each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two turns four.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enough parts to start to do the real first building.

[​IMG]

This is actually the front. The case is flipped. Just makes it easier to work with. Here this beautiful radiator from EK will be mounted on the outside of the case frame.

[​IMG]

I starts to look like a real computer. Love when you reach the part where you can start to unpack components for the first time.

Next update will contain the real design of the front. Stay tuned and as always, please share your thoughts or questions...

Defyant Mods likes this.
  13. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Excellent work! Will you be including lighting inthe mod? ...because I wonder what it would look like if you left a few of the triangles unpainted (clear or frosted) with a light underneath. This cold be in the shroud and/or base.
    either way - spectacular work so far.

Zeuligan likes this.
  14. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Thank you so much <3
    Yeah, there will be a RGB build, but not entirely sure how yet, got 5m addressable RGB strip I will put to use.
    Will integrate in the bottom and the top for sure, but also got an idea for a custom GPU shroud as well as replacing my standard D5 tops for RGB.

15. Cheapskate

RGB: It might be tough to do, but it would be neat to paint the angle stuff with a silver base (to block light) and then file the edges of your triangles clear. -That way, only the polygon edges are lit.

Zeuligan likes this.
  16. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Plan is to wrap it in matt vinyl, will do that first. Will fit the RGB inside the case and underneath. But like your idea, will keep that :)

17. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

[​IMG]

That light effect is one of my fav wallpaper engines :) Ive thought about making it into a mod for ages now but the work to do it would be incredible.. The only real way would be to do as you have making every single section then front and back sealing/painting/sticker each bit then lifting every other edge so it's fractured..... OMG! just saying it makes my mind boggle.

If you can pull it off with what you already have done im'a be one incredibly impressed modder :D

But im out to the workshop to have a go :p

18. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

With the base structure done from the previous part it was not much to wait for. The hard part about this part of the mod of creating an angled front structure is that each piece will influence all the others. The size, the angle, the shape all influence eachother. Almost like laying a puzzle without the picture, the size and the pieces them self.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best solution to solve the puzzle turned out to be tape. Made it possible to fix each piece while take measurements for the next.

[​IMG]

First piece of the puzzle fixed for real.

[​IMG]

Moved on to fix the next part. Both of these pieces was the last pieces created in the previous part of the mod.

[​IMG]

With tape tightly attached on the outside I could use tape on the inside to stretch and bend it into the right angle.

[​IMG]

Secured. Only down real downside of the tape solution is that the tape will suck upp Acrifix and make the surface look like ****, but with the need to sand it down, the upside it much larger the the downside.

[​IMG]

Starting to fold it self over the fans. Starting to feel a good tingling feeling. This might work!

[​IMG]

Two wings for finishing up the front and bind the sides together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad, not bad at all.

[​IMG]

After A LOT of hand filing I managed to create part of a circle to match the diameter of the fans. This also reviels my plan for the front. I want to leave the front with 3 open "holes" for the fans to be both visible, but also for a air intake. Only thing I lack with the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 is a windowed front door. This is my take on that. With Enermax front RGB ring, this will also bring light to the front. Will fit a dustfilter between the fans and radiator.

[​IMG]

Needed to start on the top part of the bottom after realizing I have a problem...

[​IMG]

Same procedure...

[​IMG]

More parts. The cirle cut outs are a pain to create with just a saw and a hand file, but do add a nice finish.

[​IMG]

Had to remake and refit several times. One mm or even less both in elevation or size and I'm not centred and the fan cut out will be off or the look will look crocked. But eventually...

[​IMG]

Several hours later I'm happy with the end result...

[​IMG]

This is how far I managed ...

19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Amazing :thumb::rock::dremel:

Zeuligan likes this.
  20. kim

kim hardware addict

A deserved happyness, omg what a patience :jawdrop:

Zeuligan likes this.