1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FYI - forum emails getting binned to spam

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Byron C, 5 Nov 2018.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You guys aren't going to be able to do anything about this, but I thought it worth flagging. I have email subscriptions for all threads I post in, and lately Google has been binning some of them to my spam folder. The only pattern I can see is where the posts in the email contain a hotlinked image.

Like I said, I doubt there's much you can do, so this is more of an FYI I guess. I rely on email notifications pretty heavily, especially for PMs.

EDIT: Damnit, couldn't get all of the menu in the tags... Forum software clearly doesn't like tags like "Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam baked beans Spam Spam Spam and Spam" or "Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce garnished with truffle pâté brandy and a fried egg on top and Spam".

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the heads up.If I PM you over an email address could you forward me 1 example of one that went to spam and another that didn't?

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Let me see if I can remember/find any that I had to manually flag as "not spam".

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Feel free to send me the email address though :)

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I had two or three into spam this last few weeks also. They were new reply to watched thread emails. Can't remember which as I clear spam out meticulously.

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I've had recent PM notifications end up in the spam bin to, especially the past couple of days - it's quite annoying @MLyons

Have you been mistreating the hamsters once again...??? :eek: o_O :confused: :(

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Are you guys both with GMail too?

8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Yup, guilty as charged.

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think it's only when the reply you're being notified of has an external link. I'm not 100% sure why it then puts it into spam because of this but it seems to be what's causing it. Feel free to offer any other info

EDIT: if any of you wouldn't mind can you PM me so I can give you an email address to send the ones registered as spam to so I can look into it more

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Definitely a change by Google. It's a real PITA, their spam filters are overly-aggressive, I miss loads because it ends up in spam.

Pretty sure I sent one over a while back. I can keep sending 'em if you like?

11. MLyons

I've got that one. Any one else that stumbles into this thread feel free. I've keep them in a folder so I can attempt to work out how I can get around the filters

12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It's probably good to use the not spam button rather than just deleting it. Knowing Google it's all about machine learning these days. Enough "not spam" click and it might get the message.

MLyons likes this.
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If it is using machine learning on their spam algorithms then that machine needs to be put in the remedial class, because it's clearly having some difficulty. I've been using that button for years and emails from certain recipients still get flagged as spam.

Guest-56605 likes this.