1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Flickr adds 1,000-photo limit to free user tier

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Nov 2018.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, that's a bugger, innit? I've 4,000 on there at the moment, but I ain't paying $50 a year when I was promised 1TB for life for free.

Cheeky sods.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Photobucket 2.0? :D

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, I've been having a shufti at alternatives. A lot of the share-your-photos sites - like 500px and Pexels - require you to use, effectively, a modified public domain licence and don't let you use a more restrictive Creative Commons licence. Others - like Pixabay - used to allow Creative Commons but don't any more, and if you don't want to charge for your photos they just charge for their use anyway and keep the cash.

So far, the best alternative I've found is just throwing the things at Wikimedia Commons. It's where my stuff ends up anyway - there's a regular effort to scrape CC-licensed stuff from Flickr and reupload it - so I may as well cut out the middleman. Not as smooth an interface as Flickr, but it's also not $50 a year.

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Aye, i got the same message this morning, I get the feeling Flickr's new owners are looking to make more money from their investment, And Yahoo's old "You can have it for free" doesn't suit them. Shame.

Sam

5. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Damn. Also looking for a replacement here.

Their argument about improving overall quality is just disingenuous, they could've just as easily instated a maximum of 1000 public photos for free users while keeping the 1TB limit. It's all about money... obviously.

Even then, there are a lot of good use cases where you might end up with more than a thousand pictures. I've used a ton of old lenses, if I were to put 10-20 sample pictures in an album for each, as I already have for a few (so people can judge character, sharpness, bokeh, etc. since professional reviews don't exist), I'd reach the limit rather quickly.

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

So i thought it was AT&T who bought Flickr, but it turns out it's Smugmug who bought Flickr, Clearly they didn't agree with Yahoo's philosophy.
    I know a couple of people i follow on Flickr are leaving, not sure where they plan to end up, i had a quick look for an alternative, Smugmug was listed, as well as 500px, and both are paid services.

Sam

7. Gareth Halfacree

There's a bit of progress: Flickr's decided deleting all the Creative Commons stuff on there is Bad Optics, so all my public photos will remain - I just can't add to them.

I uploaded a test batch to Wikimedia Commons. Issues so far:
    • The uploader gives my desktop proper fits. Full-on 100% CPU load, greyed-out window, wait-and-see. To be fair, I was uploading 10 or so 4000x2660 10-20MB PNGs in a batch...
    • I was super lazy when using Flickr and just had it copy a single title and description across all images. Can't do that in Wikimedia: got to name 'em all individually.
    • There's no concept of 'albums' in Wikimedia Commons that I can see, so when I've uploaded 20 pictures of A. N. Other SBC I can't tweet a single link that provides access to them all. I *can* link to a search, I guess, but that'll also pull in related images that aren't mine.
    So, it's usable, but not exactly painless.