1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve working on VR headset, Half-Life VR, claim sources

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 12 Nov 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I predicted HL3 would never emerge unless created by fans.
    HL2 VR returning would be nice. I played it in VR back in the days of the octopus DK2.

A new Valve VR headset would be amazing especially since OctopusVR is only focused on mobile VR. Given Gabe's statements in a meeting about VR... it's clear he understands where it is and where it needs to go.

If there is a VR Half Life of some sort, I hope it won't be a chopped-down short version aimed at nausea VR gamers (the idea that comfort mode must be enforced and that people can't wear a headset for more than 30 minutes without suffering severe health issues).

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Dismissing a good portion of the population (the majority based on current population testing) is never a good idea. 'VR legs' are great for the few who are able to ignore sim sickness after prolonged exposure, but comfort settings are universal based on hard data gathered by everyone producing VR hardware and software, not some namby-pamby feel-good solution to an imaginary problem as a small but vocal minority seem to think they are. The solution is going to be tackling the orthostereo mismatches that cause sim sickness (e.g. 3D pupil tracking for real-time lens compensation to eliminate pupil swim), rather than demanding the population nut up and deal with it.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I'm totally using that phrase from now on :):):)

5. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

I’ve already emailed Gabe to pre-order. I expect he’ll be in touch sometime soon to take the long number of my credit card.

I’m kinda blessed that I have a big space to use the Vive free roaming - however even then its only games like Fantastic Contraption that are optimised for fully walking around objects within the game. When it comes to 1st person shooters I still hit its limitations almost immediately. I wonder how long it will take game devs to come up with a procedually generated 1st person shooter using cameras on the front of the headset to measure surroundings.

I can imagine Valve employees walking round their offices right now wearing headsets and instead of cubicles and open plan spaces, they see Half-Life corridors and apartments from City 17. Their work colleagues who are sitting around on office chairs depicted as city residents looking depressed and rebel-like, clutching loved ones or weapons.

iggy likes this.
  6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Would love a new HL game but don't like VR so kinda disappointed

Tags: Add Tags