1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Me too :(

Had three two nights ago, then was on the toilet for an hour. Kept me awake all night :(

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

First day back to work after my 2nd stint of paternity, staff meeting first thing, turns out our commercial director (who has only been in the role for a few months) got drunk while in Boston on business, "did something unsavoury", lost his wallet (and business credit & fuel cards) and was immediately dismissed this morning...

Just when I though the run-up to Christmas might go smoothly.:rolleyes:

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

"Hmm, bike feels weird, doesn't seem to be accelerating right and it's pulling the handlebars in the corners - tyre pressure must be low"
    <squeezes rear tyre when stopped at traffic lights> "Huh. I shouldn't be able to push the rear tyre like that"
    <stops at garage to top up air pressure> "Er.... 9PSI on the back tyre is definitely wrong"
    <examines rear tyre on driveway>...

[​IMG]

...AGAIN?!!?!1!eleven! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

4. Vault-Tec

"Let me just release the right side panel on my PC to run some fan wires". *SLIDING SOUND - CRUNCHING SOUND*. Uh oh...

Looked over and the panel had landed on top of one of my cherished valve amps. It shattered the acrylic guard, and the valve came out of the amp. Legs were bent to jeff. I decided to calm down, grab a pair of long nose and straighten the legs and by the grace of god it works. Still pretty bummed, but was impressed that a valve took a smashing like that and survived. I always had them down as extremely fragile.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Was off work Thursday an Friday as I didn't feel well, came in surrounded by sick people, I now have a sore throat :rollingeyes:

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Look on the bright side, the twonk exposed himself (possibly literally?) before he could get properly entrenched in the business and make everybody's life Hell.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I hate people who thinking they're soldiering on coming into work ill.

Keep your bloody germs to yourself and take time off.

legoman and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Not all tubes are created equal some are more fragile than others and generally tubes are more fragile when hot. Keep in mind the Soviet's used vacuum tubes in the MIG fighters and that's not a very gentle environment.

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I haven't had heating or hot water in 11 days. The boiler ignition PCB fried itself. I was told they were going to replace it last Weds and instead I got a call to say they'd decided to replace it...but it'll be a further week before they do.
    The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is very much Thatcher-era legislation that gives very little protection to the poorer side of that equation.

10. Vault-Tec

Yeah I can confirm it was very much on, and very warm. It's always on, unless I go away and cut the power to everything at the desktop.

I guess I could have always bought another valve easily enough. It's quite a popular size, IIRC.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's not on mate.

Landlords have to provide hot water and heating. I'd run it by Citizens Advice. The 1985 Act does cover this, they have a legal obligation. If they can't fix heating they have to provide heaters for example (but that doesn't sort the water).

If I was renting it out i'd have it repaired even if I was considering replacing it. You can't legally, or morally, have tenants living without heating and hot water.

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

You're right, it isn't. The law states that they have to fix it within a "reasonable time", however there isn't a firm legal definition of that term.
    My friend, who happens to be a city councillor even emailed the head of the city's Environmental Health Department on my behalf...There's nothing they can do except force the landlord to do repairs, and they don't tend to issue those ultimatums until week 3. There's also no legislation regarding recompense. Basically, there are minimal statutory obligations and all other guidance is just that - merely advisory.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Dropped my lovely Pixel 2XL from 5' onto concrete :duh:
    Luckily the glass back section is less than a tenner, take that Apple :thumb:

Do you not carry a repair kit?

If nothing is hanging off that I need then I'm fit for work, besides by the time you realize you're ill you've probably been contagious for days anyway

14. legoman

Yup irritates me all you can hear is coughing an about 80% of them in here have laptops so can work from home, but no they come in an spread the lurgy, so glad I had the flu jab for all these colds doing the rounds!

Got home last night mother chirped up saying she couldnt get online, turns out shes right she couldnt, she was trying to enable to audio device which for some reason had stopped working.
    Tried launching device manager, snap in failed, very weird, tried to run a disk check, failed to launch. Basically everything windows related started de registering dll files. tried to re register an it wasnt playing ball, reboot to recovery mode "sorry there was a problem"
    Bonus problem, I think the SSD is corrupt (its a very old Curcial M4) but I cant tell because I cant run a disk check. So have to put the disk into another machine and check it that way.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Office365 MFA just came back up after 36hrs. Have to work now *grumble* :grr:

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Forgot to take my Milk aid tablets last night whilst having a nice chicken Tikka.

I now have my insides reminding me why I need to take them (lactose intolerant)... :(

17. Vault-Tec

I feel your pain and you do have my sympathies as I know exactly how you feel. I reported my landlady to Environmental Services about six months ago. After three months this guy came out and measured the damp and said it was uninhabitable. Since then? nothing. Three months since he did that.

No doubt he has dropped the ball completely. Apparently the boiler and etc are all covered under a service contract, but the biyatch won't give me the account number or details to get anything fixed. I had to wait 8 months for a BG engineer to come out and service the boiler, then got him to divulge the info in case my boiler breaks down again during the freezing weather (which it did last year, causing me to take an overdose). This year? one whiff of trouble and I just lock up and sod off to my mother's. No point being a martyr.

18. legoman

I know dem feels, and cramps etc etc

19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Been just over 2 weeks since an deliberate overdose, been prescribed some Anti Depressants/Anti Anxiety tablets and waiting on CBT.
    Didn't even want to post this due to my anxiety and paranoia.

Lets hope my next post in a few weeks is in the better thread

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I hope you get all the help you need.

goldstar0011 likes this.