1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best way to clone old OS on to new SSD

Discussion in 'Software' started by N17 dizzi, 5 Dec 2018.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I am still in the process of helping a friend's son get his PC up to scratch. He is running upgraded Windows 10 64bit on a spinning platter. The RAM is inadequate (has been and still being upgraded to 8GB). Currently it swaps out current memory use to the paging file leading to crippling performance. I bought a cyber Monday SSD so I can switch him over to something more modern.

TL DR: Can anyone recommend software (or native in windows) that will clone his entire drive, saving us tons with a reinstall?

I did a bit of googlefu but it seems a minefield of different opinions. I'd like some bit-tech insight if possible.

Thanks

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Macrium Reflect has a free version that should be able to do this no problem.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've used EaseUS Partition Manager free edition for this a few times, although if you're moving from a bigger to a smaller disk you'll have to buy the home edition for £18. Same size or smaller to bigger is available for free.

N17 dizzi and silk186 like this.
  4. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I believe clonezilla is free still too, I've used that in the past

N17 dizzi likes this.
  5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

+1 for clonezilla, you can create a bootable CD or USB with it and it just works, no need to install any software etc.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've used Clonezilla pleeenty.
    If you're copying to a smaller or equal size SSD, reduce your partition size and move it to the beginning of the platter (use something such as gparted on a live Ubuntu or just windows disk management if the main partition is the last one).
    Then use Clonezilla without modifying the partition table (from this point on it's the same for copying to larger drives).
    Finally fix up the partitions, again with gparted or windows disk management.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thanks a lot, very helpful. Glad I asked ^^

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

EaseUS Partition Master is the best I've found for managing partitions.
    I've never cloned a drive before so can't make any recommendations but I've seen a lot of recommendations for Macrium Reflect.