1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Time to build a new beast....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by t4n6o, 16 Nov 2018.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

yup 1440p with ultra settings in project cars 2, a vega 56 will do ~60fps, a 1080Ti will do almost double that, add in weather effects and Vega will die on its arse, making 1080Ti/2080 worth any extra pounds, whilst RT might be a bust, DLSS is probably a feature that will keep you performing at high framerates and good quality for sometime (assumption being made is that support for titles will come but even without DLSS, the 2080 level of GPU will have native grunt to push pixels).

bearing in mind the intent to use higher resolution screens the focus should be the best GPU you can afford and build a machine around the GPU, you can compromise CPU and mobo to some extent and still push a strong GPU well.

Difference between Ryzen 2700x and 8700@5Ghz at 1440p is neither here nor there, example here
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1655-core-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x/page5.html

a core i5 would do similarly well when you are GPU limited not sure i'd recommended a CPU with less than 8 threads seeing as games are starting to use more cores on a frequent basis, 4-6T is not uncommon now, you'd want extra threads for future scope.

The 400 series motherboards come with something called storeMI given your small SSD, big spinner slant this could be a feature of use for OP, supported on b450 and x470.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2018
  2. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

I know its a bit of back and forth, but what do you lot recon to this from CCL for £1370 ????

• Game Max Chroma Mid Tower Gaming Case - Black
    • Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
    • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz Octa Core (Socket AM4)
    • 16GB HyperX Predator 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
    • CCL Choice GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Graphics Card
    • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
    • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive
    • EVGA 700 BR 700W 80+ Bronze PSU
    • Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooling Kit
    • 3 Year Collect & Return warranty
    • Verbatim DVD Writer Optical Drive

Last edited: 21 Nov 2018
  3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Avoid Gigabyte boards, and definitely do not buy a previous generation board to save a few quid. I'd highly recommend the ASUS STRIX B450-F or similar if you are wanting to get a "lower" end board.

I'd also spend a little more on the PSU. Don't forget, it's the heart of the system - if it dies, the rest could go with it. I'd look more towards the SuperNOVA range instead.

4. t4n6o

Ido have a 1050Wpsu in curent pc i could swap out and put that in current pc since it is going to my daughter

5. TheMadDutchDude

Roughly how old would you say the PSU is? Regardless of that, it should be fine. :)

Are you intending to sell the old gear to recoup come of your costs...?

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

FYI, a 1080 is a lesser card than a 2070 for the same money, unless ccl have a cracking deal on somewhere I have not spotted, so I'd stick with 2070 unless you were trying to step up, 1080Ti or 2080 would be the step up from 2070.

System would run nice btw as you have specified, just a comment that you could have a 2070 with bf5 for 460.

I guess this is one of their pre-built with some config changes, is that right?

Last edited: 21 Nov 2018
  7. TheMadDutchDude

The 1080 should be a good deal cheaper than the 2070... if it isn’t, then avoid it.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

cheapest 1080 I could see on CCL was 458.xx cheapest 2070 was 459.xx hence the suggestion but they may have had some clearance line or a special as I could not see a CCL choice.

As the system specified has a collect and return warranty it is probably pre-built which means they have compromised some bits like mobo/ram/PSU/GPU to keep costs reasonable/turn profit and to shift older stock, see the same at Overclockers lots of gen 2 Ryzens shipping on 370 boards there too, not the end of the world but if you are prepared to build yourself you could pay the same and have slightly upspecced parts, it won't be a big step up though if you just want the ease of ordering amd it just working the above system is just fine.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There hasn't been a lot of info about about exactly how many Pascal cards Nvidia made. However, I have seen an article somewhere saying that most of the cards that were over made were 1060s. I guess they were aiming at getting ridiculous prices for their cheap GPUs, rather than over making the expensive ones.

However there are still a few 1080s and 1080tis out there, I just don't have a clue how many. Logic here would probably say that it is best to wait until they are all gone, then buy something (as the prices will eventually have to drop) but I think over pricing Turing by this much was a deliberate ruse to sell Pascal out first. That is why they have not released the 2060 obviously, because they want to sell all of the 1060s they made. It also takes pressure off of Nvidia to make Turing for all, and instead they can sit on stock until Pascal is gone.

However if the prices of Pascal will drop just before they sell out? no idea. A lot of it depends what the retailer had to pay for it. I've seen numerous "old" cards still wanting strong money on OCUK seemingly regardless of the fact they are old.

10. t4n6o

Hey Guys n Gals, Sorry it's been a few days,.....been playing with the new toy, and all i can say is i am happy with it.... it handles everything i throw at it and more.

So the new rig now consists of this setup:-

MOBO : ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING AMD Socket AM4
    CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz Octa Core (Socket AM4)
    RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 - White
    SSD : Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
    HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 3TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive
    GPU : MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB Graphics Card
    PSU : Corsair TX750M 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
    COOLER : Corsair Hyrdo Series H100x (240mm) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    CASE : Corsair Carbide 275R TG Mid Tower Case - White

Currently using previous logitec mouse and gamemax hurricane keyboard, but once i get new desk, new periferals will be bought along with new monitors and speakers.

Would like to thank everyone for their advice and help in leading me to choosing what I have now

MightyBenihana and The_Crapman like this.