1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Advice on Z77 Asus vs Gigabyte Boards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SirFur, 6 Dec 2018.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted here. I am hopelessly out of date. Been mindlessly and obliviously minding my own business with my current setup. The build is as follows:

Aerocool xPredator Evil Black
    MSI GD53 MOBO equivalent - it's an old replacement when the MSI board died before
    Intel i5 2500k @ 3.30ghz
    Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
    2x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4
    Crucial M4 64GB
    Samsung Evo 512GB
    Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 1600
    MSI twin Frzr R9 290
    EVGA 1000w GQ Gold
    LG IPS231P x2
    Sidewinder X6
    CM Storm Sentinel Advanced
    Logitech Z-5500

My signature was my old build before my GPU got fried, and then later on my motherboard died. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's the same chipset that would allow me to keep my DDR3/CPU, and was like £30 replacement.

That was 2-3 years ago.

Now. I have a computer that suddenly doesn't power up at all. The only evidence of life is the green mobo light. I shut down one night as normal, next day couldn't start. I run win 10 64 bit. I have tried jumping the start pins on the mobo in case it was case button fault, but to no avail. I do have a spare Antec 650 to test if PSU, but I doubt it - I reckon MOBO - will test it later today.

However, as I am convinced it is Mobo, it means I gotta be thinking of a new build now. I mainly play older games eg. EvE Online with 3 clients + netflix on the side. I run 2 monitors as above. Not really planning on different - maybe a 3rd similar one.

Budget - £1000, but trying to make it last, and will spend a bit extra if needed. I would like to make a spare computer out of old setup if I can tbh.....in some ways I don't even mind it if I can be sure it is just motherboard that I buy a new one and try the parts out....but I reckon that may be a side project....probably best to get a new setup....maybe keep current graphics card if that's feasible.

Thanks in advance.

Budget=£1000 ish, more if necessary
    Purpose= Gaming rig with 2 to 3 monitors, make a spare for my parents with parts I can salvage. I like to do several things at a time in the background, and often have several chrome windows with 30 odd tabs each (one for eve links, other for work etc). Would consider adding another screen to match my LG ones.
    Previous parts= but I am not necessarily needing new monitors or keyboard or mouse. I have a sound card to fit in too, a creative sound blaster ZX. Will probably keep Samsung Evo 512gb SSD, need new backup HDD for downloads and storage as I am likely to use the 64GB SSD + one HDD at least for spare computer.
    Previous build information (list details of parts): as above
    Monitor resolution: Don't know...HD?
    Storage requirements: SSD all the way...tbh I don't know what's out there. At least 2TB for general use.
    Will you be overclocking: never done it, always said I would, I doubt I will.
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): as long as it fits what I need. Wifi is a bonus.
    Extra information about desired system: Need to be able to fit a spare system for parents - I suspect current RAM and CPU are ok, second hand MOBO needed, and I do have at least one working spare PSU.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2018
  2. SirFur

Ok I confirmed it. My motherboard + stuff is dead. Tried second PSU, no effect. Just absolutely no power zilch. So I probably have two intact PSUs.

3. Thewelder

Thewelder What's a Dremel?

Hello,
    Build a new setup sounds right for these demanding games today going foward.

1,000 Pound sterling equals
    1,273.10 United States Dollar.

My imo only as u have hd,'s u can use

Cpu 9700k $400 (love mine) same 8 cores as a 9900k minus not needed hyperthreading for me vs actual same 8 cores on demand and takes Lil volts getting easy oc,'s w great temps.
    Z390 mobo $200 +/-
    16 gigs ddr4 $150...or 32 gigs $240-$300 (depends)
    Powersupply 850 watts +/- $150+/-
    Rtx 2070 $500 * this is worth the cash vs saving $100 and going with a 1070.The 2070,'s hang with my gtx 1080 all day long.

A little over budget but...
    Your gonna have this for Years.

4. SirFur

Thanks that's a nice build....but I may no longer need to look at one just for now.

I have just found that my PSU works fine. Both of them.

So in this instance - I'd like to have a go trying to see if I can get away with a new 2nd hand motherboard - I have been having a look online, and think I should go for one of the latest boards, a Z77 which should be able to cater for my current modules. I have come across two seller refurbished versions I am hoping for a little help with as follows:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIGABYTE...=item286e5fc989:g:a00AAOSwQ9lcCGup:rk:14:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-P8Z...=item23b0bda643:g:VCcAAOSwGVFcCGSA:rk:11:pf:0

There doesn't seem to be much between the two. I don't think the Asus one is a thunderbolt version. The asus one I think may have more sata connectors, and as I do have x2 HDD x2 SSD and x2 Drives to connect, so this may be important difference.

Your thoughts?

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

FWIW I've had an Asus Z77 chugging along for years now, never had a problem (slightly different board, see sig)

Looks like that one has more SATA 6Gb connectors than mine. Just to note their BIOS hasn't been updated for a while re meltdown and such but i'm not sure many Z77s have.

SirFur likes this.
  6. SirFur

Thanks Adidan. Also. I believe you are one of the few people from cpc forums I remember, lol. Not sure BIOS updates really mean much these days for those boards. It'll support the latter CPU types, but all my mods except my RX 290 are old gen, so I don't foresee any issues. Even the 290 is relatively old tbh. What you think?

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lol yeah, that's going back some eh mate? :)

I presume that board will be like mine, the max it'll take is a 3770(k) which mine has been happy with. (Just had a quick look and yeah it'll take a 3770).

I can't see anything that you have that would cause issue. I presume the RAM will be compatible, not sure how fussy the boards are. I've only run mine with mushkin and g skill.

8. SirFur

Cool. Sounds good. I have always liked Asus Boards. Thanks.

I just have to hope nothing else is fried! :D

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If you're interested in a minor upgrade, I'm selling an Ivybridge rig in the marketplace. For the same price as one of those boards, you'd get a board with a slightly faster cpu and memory.

10. SirFur

Working condition?

That seems like a good deal....although would much prefer there to be some RAM that matches mine, kinda hard to mix and match. The lack of an I/O plate will bug me but I am sure we have plenty of options out there. Any chance I can buy the motherboard on its own?

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh all works fine. I might have the io plate somewhere, but it wasn't with the motherboard when I checked it's whereabouts and couldn't be bothered looking for it. At the minute I'm not splitting it up.

12. Thewelder

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Don't forget that $ equals near enough £ which makes it considerably more expensive.

Either way, he isn't after a new build now. A new board will bring the system back to life and able to game for a while longer.

I wouldn't be recommending Corsair memory over GSKILL anyway. :lol:

14. SirFur

Arboreal likes this.
  15. TheMadDutchDude

Sell the 2500K for around 30 quid, and you just got a decent rig back on the road for 100 quid. :D

SirFur likes this.
  16. SirFur

Yep. Or I can keep it as a spare but probably not worth it tbh. As long as current one works, I can sell it off. Now I need to get the TIM remover out of the cupboard again lol. Hopefully, everything else is in working order. The interesting thing was that the PSU tester I used still had the fans plugged in when I plugged in the 24pins into the tester. This meant that PSU fans also powered up, and the chassis fans were all on. This was definitely a reassuring sign. TBH I don't really know why I went with this replacement Intel board, and not a proper one last time - I think maybe it was the cost at that time, but yeh for around £100 I have gotten a really nice motherboard, and 8GB of RAM. Pretty pleased tbh.

Edit: Think I have the original box and the original unused cooler as well lying around, so together could try for 35 maybe.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2018
    adidan likes this.
  17. TheMadDutchDude

Find out which one clocks better, and then sell the bad clocker. :D

Arboreal and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  18. SirFur

Ok

I am really confused. I plugged everything in. Replacement board and extra RAM. Using the replacement CPU. I am getting no power into motherboard at all. There isn't even the standby light on motherboard. I replugged the other PSU, and it still doesn't works. I am not even getting a light. I tried the old board, just freestyle - the board lights up. I have re-tested the PSUs and they still are functional. I am quite lost as to why there is no power.

19. Thewelder

Hello,
    Try no memory sticks and see if u get power to the mobo .Try your working 2500k also in that mobo.Used parts can sometimes be a gamble.