1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New EC regulations could kill off high-end graphics boards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Oct 2012.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

especially with the new 9900k one that just went up

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Gareth didn't write that one though...

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Don't make me start commenting on all your posts, G! I've got so many internet opinions, don't get me started!

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

2012 - New EC regulations could kill off high-end graphics boards
    2018 - errm…. nope, high end GPUs are still around.

Maybe y'all should do an article on past scare stories/predictions like this... see how many of them actually came to be...

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

cobalt6700, RedFlames and yuusou like this.
  6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think it's actually quite interesting to look back and follow up on stories like this that generate somewhat dramatic headlines all over the place for a brief time and then turn out to have very limited real world effects. I wonder what effect they have on the perceptions of the parties involved...

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I started reading the comments before the dates. One of them flippantly said "solution: leave the EU". Or something to that effect.

Time traveller perhaps? :p

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Funny you should mention that: in the last few weeks I finished a read of Silicon Snake Oil, Clifford Stoll's follow-up to The Cuckoo's Egg, in which he lays out an impassioned argument about why the internet will never amount to a hill of beans. Absolutely fascinating stuff, because it's almost all completely wrong. Highlights off the top of my head include that e-mail can never replace the letter, video streaming will never catch on, and nobody's going to do their shopping online.

I've bought some little sticky tag things, I'mma go back through and highlight each statement as correct or incorrect in hindsight.

9. liratheal

It.. Er. Doesn't seem to have in Bavaria. Insurance guy here still wants paper copies of everything I've had as PDF's in the UK for the last five years.

Not sure I've seen online shopping for groceries around here, either.

Video streaming doesn't appear to be 'all the rage' but it's not as alien as the other two, though.

10. Gareth Halfacree

He was specifically talking personal communication, not professional communication (though in a later chapter, he adds that it's terrible for business use, too): email was simply too unreliable, y'see. As so:
    Again, he's not talking groceries:
    I dunno about Bavaria, but Netflix et al seem to be doing pretty well (even if Netflix is currently throwing billions down the drain on original programming nobody's watching...)

Last edited: 30 Nov 2018
  11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't there a half-life of facts or something, IIRC i heard about it on QI. :)

I guess most of what we knew or thought a decade ago is now incorrect, personally i consider myself lucky if what i thought 10min ago is still correct.

On a side note what Clifford Stoll said ages ago really hasn't age well, then again i probably would've consider him a bit of a numpty had i read his book when it was first published.

12. liratheal

To be quite honest, I was only being half serious - Mostly bemoaning the backwards-ass way they do things here :p

13. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I smell a trolling necromancer with a name that sounds like "No idea".