1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

As a laugh I hooked up my N64 to the 49" 4K TV downstairs... I nearly vomited.

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Site on Heroku is finally up

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

@xaser04 is it RGB modded? If not, sheesh...

Byron C and MLyons like this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Does the UK (aka PAL) N64 not support RGB via SCART natively? Hell, even my Mega Drive supports RGB via a SCART cable.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

amazon delivery slated for thursday next week is actually arriving tomorrow.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As I recall Snes did, N64 didn't. S-Video is the best you can do natively, and even that is dodgy on pal. The only way to get really clean video out of an N64 is with an HDMI mod, which is night and day in terms of quality, but difficult/expensive.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Just got promoted to vendor manager at the site I work for. Woo! :D

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've had a nice week. Things have been falling into place in my private life (not women, just my personal crap).

I also took a slight risk on an ex mining Vega 64 Red Devil. I paid £240 inc for it. Crap pic alert...

[​IMG]

I've began to notice my Fury X lagging at higher resolutions (in my second rig) because it was running short of VRAM. The Vega is immaculate, doesn't whine and seems to function perfectly (2 hours of Valley on Ultra).

So happy. Mate gave me the board (some odd HP thing, but hey it works) and a 4590s, the ram was donated here on BT so all I had to do was drop a GPU in. Very happy, the card itself is a real beauty. I bought myself BLOPS IV earlier, so I am going to play that in a bit :)

9. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

After wrestling with a massive software library for days because of the devs' habit of not just refusing to properly document their design and its critical components, but also overhauling the whole structure every few versions (so you can bet that every single "solution" you find on StackOverflow from even 2 years ago is completely outdated and not even partially usable) I finally managed to implement my little application.
    Almost felt like piecing together the lore in a Souls game, only from snippets of a JavaDoc instead of item descriptions, and also not fun.

The application's pathetically few lines of code for the amount of time I put in, but I'm so chuffed right now. Sometimes I wonder whether I made the right choice in studying computer science, but the satisfaction you get from seeing the code you yelled at for days finally fit together and work like a watch is truly like nothing else.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2018
    ferret141 likes this.
  10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What were you working on and what language?

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Bethesdas latest fauxpas. Oh hilarity, thy name is Bethesda.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Looks like they've been having company.

liratheal likes this.
  13. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Bought a random spag bowl meal for my son on a whim, he's fussy with what he eats to the extent he'll gag and throw things up before even swallowing in protest. He likes few things enough to eat it willingly besides yogurts, fruit and some veg (no trying to get him to eat his fruit and veg!) and food pots not really suitable for him anymore.

We've been trying to get him onto our food but some stuff he literally will point blank refuse every single time! others he will eventually eat but takes some time and encouragement

Heinz spaghetti Bolognese - £1 suitable for 1year+ (he's 13 months) and he loved it.... Like really loved it!

YAAAAASSS!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS!

Slowly building a list of things he'll eat suitable for his age

IanW, Guest-56605 and Arboreal like this.
  14. MLyons

MOT passed with only 3 advisories. Happily take the £30 cost over the £400 it was last year.

adidan, Vault-Tec, damien c and 2 others like this.
  15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Nope hence the near miss all over the carpet.. :D

16. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

As an assignment for an information retrieval course I had to build a search engine with Lucene and implement a few relevance feedback algorithms to improve results.
    To complicate things even more I made the decision early on to use Python instead of Lucene's native Java because I'm far more comfortable with it (and because Python's the best, obv), which meant using the PyLucene wrapper, which is AFAIK pretty much completely undocumented (leaving me to figure out by myself what was and wasn't implemented, and how stuff like inheritance and iterators should be handled, often just using trial and error and class introspection with the dir() command).

Now I don't intend to badmouth Lucene too much. It does a lot of stuff right out of the box, and with just a few lines of code you already get a very well-performing search engine with loads of fancy query features. But once you want to tinker with stuff under the hood (like accessing a term list or word frequencies per document for example) you immediately sink neck-deep into an ever-changing bog of weird classes marked 'experimental' in the Javadoc yet somehow necessary and concepts like Postings invented 2 versions back no one apparently deems necessary to explain.
    As a perfect example of pretty much the entire project: the official documentation page of Lucene 7.6.0, released last Friday, refers right at the top to the official Lucene wiki for additional information, which in turn has on its frontpage a link to the seemingly extremely useful "Concepts and Definitions" entry... which was left half finished... back in 2012. :wallbash:
    [rant over]

Last edited: 17 Dec 2018
  17. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Parcel2Go bulk label printing from eBay... I missed the boat on this one!

I once sold 80-90 things in a single month during a loft clear-out and filled in and printed all the labels individually... I think once I did 15 in a day extremely laborious task

This way It pulls all my recipient details from eBay, I just need to add the weight, choose a service and print them off in one stream (also stops my son attacking the printer!) I've started to flip a bit more on eBay to build some additional income. Hope to take it a bit more seriously when boot sale season comes around. This is going to save a lot of time and make my postage and packaging dramatically more efficient.

18. MLyons

Very interesting
    I'd have been lost here
    Great choice, What we use here at bit and what powers the website among other things
    obv
    This has to be one of my favourite calls in python.
    We recently went back and did a lot of our documentation.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  19. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It didn't, no. None of the N64 consoles, as far as I know, did. For older consoles, it's quite a simple RGB mod board with a little amp IC on it, and for newer consoles it's a right PITA. SNES/SFC did out of the box. RGB out of a SFC is really quite something!

Haha oh dear...

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well damn, that sucks.

I've always thought that we had it lucky over here in Europe with the SCART standard. Rest of world has to muck about with awkward hacks and obscure connectors, whereas we just plug a (properly wired) SCART cable in (assuming both ends of the cable are connected to devices that support RGB).

I've been using a PSone through a SCART cable on a BeoVision CRT TV and it blows emulators out of the water.