1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus strix x99 - 99 qcode issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Praelia7or, 16 Dec 2018.

1. Praelia7or

Praelia7or What's a Dremel?

Have an issue with a strix x99 that has been working fine for months, tried to add a hyper.m2 x16 card to it and only one nvme ssd was recognised, this is a pretty simple setting change in BIOS it seems after reading around a bit. Restarted pc and ever since it won't boot into BIOS with a 99 qcode displayed.

I've tried:
    Reseating nvme, gpu, ram
    Unplugging all usbs
    Unplugging all USB except keyboard
    Different keyboard
    Keyboard in different USB slots
    Unplugging front panel
    Unplugging displayport
    Cmos clear
    Bios Flashback (longer first boot to same code, then back into the same loop)
    Just restarting it 10x in a row
    Starting without nvme
    Starting without gpu
    Starting with unformatted new nvme

This board has always been troublesome on boot as most x99 seem to be but never quite this hard. Obviously something about pcie has made it unhappy but really not sure what to try next other than launching it out the window for a new board and cpu.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The Asus rep has been absent for some time so doubt you'll here from them here.

I'm no expert, but the the hyper m.2 x16 card looks like it's for a raid array using m.2 drives through a PCI-E slot for super fast speeds and will only show as one drive.

Also if your board gets tetchy when booting normally it's probably a ram issue and you'll need to play with speed and timings to get them to play nice.

3. Praelia7or

Seemed to be the done thing to post troubleshooting here so I went for it :p

Hyper M.2 card does support raid and might be its main purpose even but it also gives you extra M.2 slots through pcie interface where you don't have vroc to utilise raid.

Playing with ram speeds would be great if it'd boot into bios...

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Did you remove the Hyper M.2 card?

What slot did you put it in?

5. Praelia7or

Yeah this is all with the M.2 card removed now, apologies missed that detail!

It was in the 2nd lit x16 slot, x16_3

6. Praelia7or

Just realised how dead this forum really is - any chance of a mod moving to tech support?

Thanks

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I would suggest trying it in the bottom slot as that comes from the PCH rather than the CPU. Also ensure that you’ve set up the card properly. Check the jumper positioning.

8. Praelia7or

Found the issue in the end, pcie change, I.e the new card nudged the BIOS into a 'fresh' start, and it doesn't default to a display port output. Hdmi output linked up and it would display and I could get into the bios to get things set up, the 99 error code is normal at that stage of booting where it throws a message along the lines of bios setup needed, press f1 to recover.

For anyone else stumbling on this in relation to the Asus hyper M.2 x16 card though, only x299 systems support pcie bifurcation, a method to split a single pcie slot into 4x4 Lane devices. So you can only see 1 ssd per pcie slot on other chipsets.