1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

*Non-PAL :sad:

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Well apparently the early French PAL ones, and some others, do work with that 'simple' mod - I've done copious research on this of late. In general, it's the NTSC ones which have the chip and are RGB-moddable easily. Anyway, NTSC is best 'cos 60Hz

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Are you saying that I've been ripped off selling my NTSC one for a pittance? :worried:

EDIT: Wait a minute, have you even paid me yet? :lol:

Last edited: 17 Dec 2018
  5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Just figured out how to use my MX master 2S across multiple screens :)

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

So I bought a 25" 240hz monitor for my mother's place. It's to go with the Vega 64 rig I just built to upgrade from the Waynio rig.

Any way I decided to do some tests today with Doom, on Vulkan, set to 1080p ultra. I wasn't expecting to get anywhere near 240 FPS. It was jammed at 200. Now obviously I am not seeing that because my current monitor only refreshes @ 70hz, but damn you can feel it. The game is MENTAL fast lol. I'd only played it for 3 hours, I can't wait to get stuck in once the new monitor arrives. Feels like playing a fighting game BITD stringing together combos etc.

liratheal likes this.
  7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Mothers car failed its MOT Saturday, the CV gaiters (inner and outer OSF) were no longer preventing the ingress of dirt.

Took a day off as its a messy job an I know ill take ages doing it. Cleaned off what was meant to be the grease that had been spun out, noticed the first gaiter was on firmly and couldn't find any grease. So, shimmed along under the car, the inner one again a pile of grease but no sign of it being split or the clip damaged. Wiped it all off and cleaned up the visible underside. I took it back down said I checked it an cleaned it, oddly enough it passed. MOT tester was obviously just testing what he can see but he was rather miffed I proved his judgement wrong :naughty:

8. Vault-Tec

It's been a very bipolar day, so this is going to be a very bipolar post lol.

First up TN panel - ewwww. It better game a lot better than it looks lol. Lovely monitor though (see I told you it was bipolar). Do like the cable management panel, very nice. Also gave me four extra USB 3 ports for the cost of one, so I am 3 up !

Secondly as you probably guessed by now the monitor arrived. Before that happened I got into a taxi around 9am after freezing last night. Got to my mother's and asked if she could speak to one of her (our, I like all of her friends) friends and see if one could give me a lift so I could lug the updated build I did for her house. Well just as we were talking about it her mate came around and said "I can take you now". Cue me huffing and puffing, jesus this thing is heavy :/

Got it all over safely, set it all up and the Asus WIFI card I bought is a total bust. Looking back over the seller's posts he knew it too. I didn't notice him say that basically the driver doesn't work so you have to use one from a different model.... That then freezes your PC up at the spinning logo. All night I've been fighting with it ! however, it seems that the older Asus WIFI card I thought was busted just had crap Chinese antennas on, so on the mental triple one from the card that doesn't work it works beautifully. Will now need to work something out with the seller. IDK, why do people sell crap they know doesn't frigging work? I can see he has low feedback, he won't be around for long if that's how he does things.

So any way yeah, after about 8 hours of faff it's all set up apart from my headphone gear. Not doing that now, I'm piggin knackered.

So yeah, kinda like "yay, but nay but yay any way".

Oh yeah, I also clawed back £7.50 with a Steam code sent with the monitor, making it even cheaper than the low sale price :D

9. Vault-Tec

Ooo I forgot to mention. So I get an email from one of my care workers at Mind UK. He says he has forwarded my emails about my flat to a trust. Sure enough I get emails the next day from a lady who was asking about diagnosis etc.

Turns out they are within 50ft of my house. Like, the place I have to go to for the meeting. Couldn't believe it.

Any way, it all sounds good so far. The meeting is to take place on the 8th Jan, at least it won't make me ill as I know exactly where it is. It's one of the few places I will walk to alone. However fam have stepped up, so we're going three or four strong. All sounds very positive, she's been telling me about the purpose built flats etc.

I was talking to one of my taxi drivers yesterday and we came up on the hilarious idea of me using liquid nails to stop the windows leaking. Obviously hilarious side effect means they will never open again. I shall mull it over...

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  10. legoman

Wide rubber window seals, had to use it on one of out windows where the frames become distorted. solved the cold draft issue AND the creey crawlies getting in.

New PC case is build and running, SO SMALL! just need to sort out the PSU cables which are stupid long, guy at work says just cut them and solder them, I do not trust myself to not cock that up! Do i, wait on Pexon, or get the kit an make my own?

11. Vault-Tec

Got a refund for the WIFI card, and got to keep the amazing antennas :) very happy !. Oh, then this of course.

[​IMG]

They should have super glued it on.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I finally got around to doing the Paris christmas stuff for Hitman 1/2, soo I've been parading around murdering people dressed as santa. It's surprisingly cathartic.

13. Mister_Tad

If there was ever a statement that needed context, this is it.

liratheal likes this.
  14. Mister_Tad

Just switched on my out-of-office until the 7th.

Feels good.

The_Crapman likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you had a Silverstone PSU, they make official "short cable" sets for their supplies (or at least they used to when I ran a Silverstone SG-09 case).

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

He has a Corsair PSU, although Corsair also make short cable sets (which have the added advantage of being a lot more flexible than Corsair's horrid stock cables).

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

A cup of tea made my life awesome :D

I was doing a bit of fettling to my PC and on powering back up, realised that I'd fallen victim to the dreaded ASus cold boot bug - which initially was ruining my life, especially as this isn't the first time that I've been struck by it and I couldn't remember how to fix it (with Google being singularly unhelpful). I knew that all of the hardware was totally fine as it had been working before I started poking about moving fans about in my case, but would it boot? Would it buggery! Tried clearing the CMOS and various other tricks but no joy.

Eventually I got so exasperated that I left the bloody thing sitting there, power on, fans spinning, CPU LED lit up like a Christmas tree and the whole thing refusing to even give me a POST beep. Sod this, I thought, it's time for a cup of tea. Came back half an hour later and it was magically sitting in the UEFI claiming all was well (except that my RAM had defaulted back to 2,133MHz rather than whatever JEDEC setting it had been on previously). Then I remembered that the cure for the cold boot bug is to leave the computer on to have a think about things until it can decide "actually, everything's fine so let's get on with it".

spolsh, adidan and Arboreal like this.
  18. legoman

But the shortened cables are still far far to long :grin:

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, the reason that I haven't gone out and bought a short cable set for my Silverstone SFX PSU is because the "short" cables are still too long :D

Will be even worse for you with your 7l case - at least in the M1 there's a bit of empty space for stashing the rat's nest of wiring!

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Going away for Christmas this year. We're spending 3 nights, starting tonight, in a cottage in Bethesda just outside of Snowdonia. I'm not driving, but I'm looking forward to the route up there: the last leg follows the A5 down a valley between Glyder Fawr and Carnedd Llewellyn.

[​IMG]

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.