1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network Printer

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by greshoff, 18 Dec 2018.

1. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

I have my printer, Canon iP4850, connected to my Windows 10 machine via USB. I previously shared the printer with my Windows 7 computer and it worked OK however now the Windows 7 computer cannot print or connect to the printer. I have not made any changes to settings to either computer. I tried adding the printer again to the Windows 7 computer but it cannot connect to the printer.
    I also noticed that there is no sharing tab in the printer properties in the Windows 10 machine.

Any help in trying to sort this out would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: 18 Dec 2018
  2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I no expert, check if your Windows 10 machine thinks your home network is private or public.

3. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Looks like it is Private network

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Is the printer still shared? You can get to the much better method through control panel instead of the horrid settings BS that they added to 10.

Seriously... it can’t even find something if you type it in. It’s just terrible.

5. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

As far as I know, How can I double check? As I mentioned in my original post - I also noticed that there is no sharing tab in the printer properties in the Windows 10 machine.

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If your home router has a USB port, you can share the printer that way instead. It would cut out a load of hassle.

7. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Unfortunately it doesn't

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Is File and Printer sharing turned on in the control panel?

One other thought are you using Cannon drivers or Windows 10 default driver? With my personal printers and the the ones at work I loose 90% of the features (duplex, colour, multiple paper sizes, etc) if I use the windows 10 default driver.

9. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Yes Canon drivers are installed

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you exhaust all options within the OS, you could also look at a Print Server and connect that to a spare ethernet port on the router. They start at about £20 ish, so cheaper than a router and the main computer needn't be on. Also adds print from tablet/phone functionality too.

11. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

That is an idea, can you recommend one? - I don't know much about them. Thanks

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I've never used one either, although aware of them. I've got an Epson with built in networking so it's hooked up directly to my switch. Have a look at them from a larger supplier like Scan or Ebuyer and then check out some reviews before committing.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Epsons non ink printers are not made by Epson, but the software is, so the stability of these is a bit weak. Just an fyi.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Never had a single issue with my Epson printer and it's over 10 years old now. PX710W.