1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice i7920 Replacement Build - Thoughts? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DD_nVidia, 19 Dec 2018.

1. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

I'm looking to Finally replace my aging i7 920 at 10 years old this February!!!

It's done me well over the years, with upgrades to SAS 15k drives, SSDs a few graphics card changes and RAM upgrades.

I've got a build in mind but i'm interested to see what other opinions are before i pull the trigger later this week. I'm looking Intel as Hackintosh compatibility will be better plus Lightroom seems to favour Intel heavily.

Budget: £1400-1700
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming (PUBG and BFV mainly) Photo Editing (Lightroom) Lots of Chrome Tabs
    Parts required: Everything except monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers and 4TB HDD
    Previous build information (list details of parts): I7 920 @4Ghz, Asus WS X58 board, GTX 970 OC, 12GB DDR3, Thermaltake Armour Case, 750GB SSD, 250GB SSD, 4TB HDD, old 700W PSU
    Monitor resolution: 1 x Dell U2711 2560x1440 + 2x Dell U2311H 1920x1080
    Storage requirements: Fast SSD for boot + whatever gets peak Lightroom performance on a 250,000 20MP RAW image catalogue
    Will you be overclocking: yes
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    USB C, and Hackintosh compatibility
    Extra information about desired system: Not sure

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Actually this one would be better in the Hardware forum. I've reported to moderators so they can move it for you!

DD_nVidia likes this.
  3. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

Thanks!

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This might be the main sticking point... does it absolutely positively have to be Hac-compatible?

DD_nVidia likes this.
  5. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

if there was an option that made it substantially better i'd consider it. However it seems that as long as you stick with a motherboard with supported chipsets there isn't really a trade off.

6. Thewelder

Thewelder What's a Dremel?

Wait for ryzen 3!!!!....coming so0n

DD_nVidia likes this.
  7. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

I had considered this, however it would make Hackintosh more difficult as well as probably still lagging behind Intel in Lightroom. Ideally I'd wait until Intel's completely new architecture drops late 2019 but my current PC just randomly powers off, doesn't resume from sleep, have to run my 970 at 60-70% power on MSI afterburner. Most likely all power supply related but potentially some motherboard issues too and i'll be honest; I can't be arsed re wiring a whole pc just to rebuild it again later haha!

It's a fair comment tho, and Ryzen is mildly tempting as i'd be able to opt for more SSD &/or better GPU for similar money...

8. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Do you game on all 3 monitors or just one (and which one)? Difficult to spec the entire build without the answer to that as my suggestions on GPU would be very different in % budget terms depending on the answer.

The catch is that AMD would be by far the better option for hackintosh compatibility but performance on AMD at 1440p isn't ideal in terms of min frame rates. On the flip side, Apple don't offer modern nvidia cards - 600 era cards were the last offered in Apple products so are the last with official support - so for anything newer there's little to no 1st party driver support which would complicate the hackintosh route.

DD_nVidia likes this.
  9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

DD_nVidia likes this.
  10. Thewelder

Agree %100 as I'm not for amd or intel,but intel/nvidia both been flat out #1 since core 2 duo days going foward.And ati now amd gpus are still the same goofy story with I will admit make better hardware (sometimes) on paper but there drivers are not from Earth for our games here...that being said Intel/nvidia is thee gamers choice.as far as storage,that's easy,there giving them away,Samsung ssd,'s are all fast.

I just upgraded my pc and love it.specs in sig.

Goodluck!

Last edited: 21 Dec 2018
    DD_nVidia likes this.
  11. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

Only game on the 1440p middle one. I'd upgrade to 4K but I don't know how scaling would look at 4K - as an example 1080p looks like crap on my 1440p monitor - because i know gaming at 4K is a nightmare even with the highest end kit

12. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

A 4K hackintosh looks like a nogo at the moment if gaming is a factor - as I said above my understanding is that there's no official support for nvidia GPUs and AMD Vega cards would be fine for 1440p but some games would still have minimums around the 60fps mark based on the bit-tech review. So your options would be to either go AMD Vega and have the best chance of an easier hackintosh build, or to go the nvidia route and hope that you can find decent 3rd party driver support.

Right now, a Vega 64 and a 9700K would take more than half of your budget at £405 + £387 for ~£786. A 1080 or 2070 starts at £460. For 1440p I wouldn't go below a 1070, starting at £300. It also looks like 1080 & 1080TI GPUs are EOL as there's loads listed as out of stock.

Either way, I suspect your budget is about right, initial quick thoughts via PCPartpicker pricing are:

CPU - 9700K - £387
    Cooler - Corsair H100i - £100
    Motherboard - Asus TUF Z390 Pro Gaming - £150
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (3200MHz) - £251
    SSD - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB - £105
    GPU - Zotac 1070 Mini - £300 (cheapest 1070 on the market, all others are £320+)
    PSU - Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W - £95

Total - £1389

Many liberties taken wit this very quickly assembled parts list - I've assumed a full ATX build so took a motherboard I would use but you could save £30 or more without any difficulty (and a Z390 board so you won't have any problems with an incompatible BIOS that you would likely get with a Z370 board). Likewise with the cooler, I've assumed a 240mm water cooler at the cheaper end but you could save £20 off that as well.

Again though, I'd check to see how others have fared with nvidia hackintosh builds before considering the 1070 - and any of the RTX series or the Vega 64 would add at least £100 to the above.

DD_nVidia likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

14. The_Crapman

Are you getting commission on 56's or something VT? :p::hehe:

DD_nVidia likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

No?

I don't see a 1070 costing that much with the games, though.

You should also bear in mind that all new Macs have Vega graphics in them, too. So you get fully working drivers.

DD_nVidia likes this.
  16. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

Not far off what I was thinking, I suppose now is probably a good time to disclose my thoughts haha!

CPU - Intel Core i7 9700K - £400
    Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro - £183
    RAM - Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz RGB Pro - £150
    GPU - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - £473
    SSD - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB - £120
    PSU - Corsair RMx 750W - £100
    Case - Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout - £137
    Cooler - Corsair Hydro H115i RGB Platinum - £140

Total - £1715

Hackintosh wise, I could always buy a RX570 or something down the road and run that in the 2nd PCI-E slot. Ideally Nvidia Drivers before it comes to that. It's more a hobby thing I like to tinker with but would consider switching for photo editing on OS X if Lightroom performance was better.

Gaming wise, PUBG is my main game of choice and the RTX 2070 looks like it will get me 60FPS+ at 1440P pretty much maxed out. I just did a very similar build for a friend but with a i5 9600K and it ran 100FPS+ at 1080p - buttery smooth compared to the 40-60fps plus spikes i get with my i7 920 + GTX 970 combo.

17. The_Crapman

Just a joke mate. Just seems like you suggest it in every build thread. Even if they're building an extention. :winking:

18. Vault-Tec

Nope that doesn't happen at all. I just suggest what is a bargain, or value for money.

I'll see you in about 3050 when Nvidia make a GPU worth the money.

Jokes aside though I can tell you now that trying to get a GPU to work that isn't natively supported by OSX is a nightmare. The last time I ran a hack I had a R290 and of course it didn't support it. It was a nightmare, I wish I had gone Nvidia.

I don't know if the latest drivers in OSX support Nvidia natively , or whether they even have an installer for Pascal cards. But if it doesn't work then it just doesn't work.

Whenever you build a hack it's the easiest (and most sensible) to try and mimic the actual hardware as much as possible to avoid serious headaches. Plus I would say on the latest drivers in the big hitting games the 56 probably has the edge, too.

19. Thewelder

Rtx..2070/2080... (nonti)...fps+++woot!!!!! :)

There just so nice.