1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Newbie with a New project!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Phlek, 6 Nov 2003.

1. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

Hey there, I'm somewhat new here (been looking around since Gnome and his Orac). I come here about 10 times a day, and maybe even more when I have the time. About a week ago it finally hit me that I need a new hobby, and guess what I decided to do! Good ol' case moddin. I've started to mod this case I've had for about 3 years to give it some life. Here's a quick image I put together to kind of show what I did:

[​IMG]
    I have no digi cam so I'm left with this :wallbash:

It's nothing special at all and this is the first time I've even attempted my modding skills. I painted the frame inside black also. I have a couple of red LED fans and some 5mm LED's in numerous places for some light. For my first mod I was pretty happy with it, but I needed to go the exrta step for my next project.

I found this case for $49 including shipping:

[​IMG]
    It's called the BL-9009, a Full Tower black case which I've never heard of (anyone know if this is complete crap or what?)

I don't know what it is about full towers but they always caught my eye and I always wanted one. I'm hoping to go with a black red theme (unfortunetly The Cleaner already used the name "Black Widow" which I really liked) but the name Venom caught my attention too. I was thinking of the blue and black theme but it's getting a bit old, not that I'm saying it looks bad, blue lights will always be the best.

So I got a name, I got a case, and I have some idea of what I'm doing. "Well what's the plan?", you probably saying. I don't have one yet, which brings me to why I'm here. I'm asking around for some suggestions to this new case, if it should be water cooled, air, some unique ideas, anything that would give me some sort of a start. I've come to really like these forums and find every one of you very helpful and considerate. I'm pleased to be a member of these forums and hope I can contribute as much as I can. Farewell, and happy moddin' :dremel:

2. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Hey, that's my case! I bought one of those, only beige. It's black and silver now, though. Check out my project log for modification ideas. And, yes, I can recommend you that case.

3. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

I knew I saw that case somewhere! I love what you did with it, the switch is awsome. And thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll go order the case and start some planning.

4. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

is it steel or alu
    because it is a very nice case for a reasonable price :jawdrop:

5. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

I have no suggestions on what you should do with the case, but i do have suggestions on getting ideas for the case .. other than asking "what should i do with it?"
    #10 Watch your favorite movie!!! (it is a sci-fi isnt it?)
    #9 Sit and stare at the components of your computer
    #8 Keep staring
    #7 Read a Science Fiction book :worried:
    #6 Sleep!! (a dream might come to you .. giving you an original idea!!)
    #5 Take a browse through a WIRED magazine! :hip:
    #4 Stare at your tools! :dremel:
    #3 Listen to music with Winamp (with a brand new skin) <important part!!
    #2 Go to Home Depot or similar hardware store (always a treat) :thumb:
    #1 Watch Junkyard Wars :clap:

6. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

So, he's going to put a motorcycle engine and a propeller on the case and then see if it floats? :D

7. FearsomeMouse

FearsomeMouse What's a Dremel?

OK, dispite the fact that indeed they are good points to consider when trying to develop your very own new mod, I think the best advice that comes from the somewhat extended list of steps to "make a unique mod" that was more implied rather than stated, was the fact that rushing into modding cause you have nothing better to do and then asking for ideas on the forums is not the best approach to take. :duh:

Put simply - take your time to decide what your going to do. Chances are that once you do it, you won't be able to undo it. If you see something done by a professional modder (or at least an experianced one) and then try to replicate it, the chances are that your end product will not resemble the one done by the professional / experianced if its really complex. Modding is progressive - it takes lots of time and experiance to get good at it - really good at it. Of course this varies between people - but I'm advising a degree of caution. You dont want to do something major that you'll regret later. :sigh: If you get what i mean :worried:

Start small and work your way up, progressively. There's nothing like learning from your mistakes. (as painful as it can be). :waah:

Even if you take something simple that someone else has done and adapt it to your own uniqueness - its all kool.

I hope this helps. I know it wasn't what you were really asking for, but at least it's something to get you started. Keep us posted!

Good Luck :dremel:

That is all...

--FearsomeMouse

8. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

i have that one of these in white its good, check out q-black

9. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys. Krog_Mod I'll make sure I do all of those :p and FearsomeMouse, ya that did really help. I really rushed my first project and wasnt exactly happy with it as I thought I was going to be. Like you said we learn from our mistakes.

Now time to go watch some movies! hehe thanks again.

10. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Hi Phlek!!!!!.....
    Welcome to the boards!!!!!!.......
    Cant really offer anything with regard to your post, however i thought i would give you some gratitude and thanks for joining this great place...
    And that i hope you get the desired results you want!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!! :thumb:

Rm :p

11. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

How tall is that thing…it looks like and end table. With all those bays what can’t you do with that case.

Welcome to one of the best tech boards around.

12. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

I beleive it's just over 2 feet tall, correct me if I'm wrong though Snitch or bard. Thanks for the warm welcome randommonkey :D

13. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

On the first pic of the plans, i see its two topwindows.

Your PSU might be blocking the sight for the back topwindow

14. madhatter

madhatter What's a Dremel?

i think those might be the led fans he was talking about...

15. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

Actually Snitch I've already done that case, and that picture wasn't even the plans. I had no plans for that case and I just went away and did whatever came to mind. The case was old and I didn't really care what happened to it so it was kinda just practice. And yes that second window has the PSU right under it :wallbash:

Once I get a camera workin I'll takin some [low quality] pics. I've already got some ideas for the new case, some updates hopefully soon.

16. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

I just got some things from SVC: 2 red cathodes, thumbscrews, and a red LED fan. I'm not pleased at all with the red cathodes, I wouldn't even call them red. They look like a normal white light with a very very small tint of red. Anyone know what I could do with the tube to make it a bit more red? Maybe a light coat of paint or something?

17. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

I have exactly the smae problem!
    Im even thinking of changing it for red leds!

18. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

Oh well, I was thinking of putting a layer of red saran wrap over it. For some reason I think it might work. If you try it before me let me know, and vice versa.

19. Eaglespirit

Eaglespirit What's a Dremel?

Thank you :) I'm working on my plans of modding my computer but I don't get any ideas. So far i've been looking on others cases but i don't like them. Now i'm going to test your "guide" :D But I think i will skip the reading part. Don't like to read :p

That black case is a very nice one. You can do many things on it, but remember not to do more than needed. Often that's not nice. A clean case is a beautiful case :cooldude:

*going to stare at my computer* :thumb: