1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ Project High-ρ

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by andyja, 11 May 2018.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Love the colour. Were you planning on matching your CNC table tubing?

2. andyja

andyja Minimodder

My inspiration for the colours comes form the Bugatti Chiron. The Blue is really french racing blue. It will also have black carbon fibre side panels and top fan trim. My CNC table is a darker blue. Not the intention to match it.

3. kim

kim hardware addict

I love that blue color :grin:, and the contrast with aluminium, splendid :thumb:

4. andyja

andyja Minimodder

Installed front panel board. Gap at front does not look great here. Will have to see if I can fix it.
    [​IMG]

Installed fans and radiators.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have finally started to make my own cables for this build. This is a short 24 pin. The heat shrink I have is too big so I could not finish it today. Smaller diameter on order.
    Also in this pic you can see the connector housings I got form Digi-key are not black as advertised. They are dark blue grey colour! I think this will be OK since the blue of the case will not clash.
    The sleeve is cut short because I need more flexibility at the power supply end to exit past the top radiator.
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  5. andyja

andyja Minimodder

Finished making my own 24 Pin power cable. Need to sleeve the pump cables next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Wait. You're not running cables behind the panel?

7. andyja

andyja Minimodder

The rest of the cables will go behind the pannel. Thought I would try the 24 pin going directly from the board to the power supply.

8. andyja

andyja Minimodder

Sleeved the Pump Cables.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did not disassemble the pump so the heat shrink does not go inside the housing just stops at the wall.
    [​IMG]

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Nice work.

andyja likes this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

your sleeving is flawless, so why not showing it, I would personaly try to route them along the side of the PSU, not to hide the fan, but it's a detail, and the whole case is so beautiful, really awesome :jawdrop:

andyja likes this.
  11. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

Just discovering your log, that's an incredible work! I am more reserved on the blue color, but wait and see, it wouldn't be the first time something I don't really like ends up being a super great feature :grin:

andyja likes this.
  12. andyja

andyja Minimodder

So I got the components for this build.

CPU. Intel i7 9700k
    GPU Palit RTX 2080Ti
    Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2
    Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

Replaced the stock cooler on the RTX2080Ti with an EK Watterblok.
    [​IMG]

The Palit pack plate was really hard to get off since the Thermal Interface pads had much stronger adhesive than standard ones I have seen. I had to use IPA to dissolve it a bit.
    [​IMG]

Thermal Pads on the production Palit Cooler.
    [​IMG]

New thermal pads in place on the PCB following EK's guide + a bit extra.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heatkiller CPU Block in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I started to build two sets of 8Pin PCIe Power Cables for the GPU but realized I do not have the correct housings. They have different keying from the standard CPU power connectors. The correct housings are on order and will arrive in a day or two. I'll see if I can get the hard lines finished before then.

13. andyja

andyja Minimodder

Received the new 8Pin PCIe connectors but then ran out of wire so I had to get more. I really like this wire it is high strand count with silicone sleeving so it is very flexible and feels high quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the cables and PETG hard lines installed and ready to fill.
    [​IMG]

Anyone else thinks Mayhems X1 smells exactly like Baileys'?
    [​IMG]

Did the first power on test and leak test. All working well no leaks. Will check the BIOS and Get Windows 10 installed tomorrow. I will also have to redo the CPU Block hard line tubes to switch the direction of the flow. Getting the tight bend from CPU to GUP is going to be hard.

[​IMG]

14. Cheapskate

Knowing Mick, it might have some in it. :lol:
    Tight bend: You could flip the block over. :thumb:

15. andyja

andyja Minimodder

What a great idea to flip the block around! :idea:

I have to take it all apart anyway since I need to update the BIOS to get the Z370-G motherboard to work with the 9700k. And the only way to update the BIOS is to take apart my other system and use the 8700k processor to get the BIOS working :wallbash::wallbash:

16. andyja

andyja Minimodder

I finally managed to get the BIOS working with the 9700k using my 8700k to update the motherboard. Set up Windows and left it running. After about 20 minutes the power supply shut off and has stopped working completely. I have tested it by bridging the PS-on to GND on the 24pin but there is no voltage. It just clicks twice and does nothing. I have no idea what went wrong and will have to RMA it. A complete pain as I have to drain the loop again to get it out. :sigh:
    [​IMG]

17. kim

kim hardware addict

splendid result, I saw your Website too, you're doing great job... just that sad episode with the Seasonic, I wonder what damaged it, as sleeving is usually harmless for PSUs...:geek:

andyja likes this.
  18. Cheapskate

Ouch.
    If you add a plate to the back to make the PSU removable in the next version, you will never get a bad PSU again. -That's just how those things work. :confused:

19. andyja

andyja Minimodder

I machined Carbon Fiber side panels and a top fan trim in a water bath. TheFan trim ended up not matching the support struts in the fans as I machined it upside down but I may keep it like that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got my Power Supply replaced under warranty. When I installed the new supply everything worked fine right away. Since there is no RGB header on the Asus ROG Strix Z370-G motherboard (an oversight on my part) I got some XSPC SATA RGB controllers to light up the RGB fans and the GPU. I was hoping I could try a nice orange but they did not come with orange as one of the 20 preset colors. So, in the end, it is all blue now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Booted to windows!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I Still need to play with the BIOS to get the pump PWM working. Right now it is running at full speed and I can't select the PWM option. It is noisy at full speed!

I may drain the loop again to adjust the length of the line from the CPU to GPU as it forces the GPU to sit a bit too low. I can't easily get the retention screws into the PCI fence.

After that, I want to make an optional clear acrylic side window for the component side.

I think I also need to light up the distribution plate at the front.

20. Cheapskate

Yeah, the plate needs love. Maybe the res too.