1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

G-gnome, Some of the jackplugs are coloured red. Does this means this is a 5V line? or a 12V line?

:duh: :duh: I know I read it some where but I can't find it anymore :wallbash: :wallbash:

2. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

5V, same as how the red wire in a PSU is 5V :) Just a permanent marker used to prevent me plugging in the wrong plugs.

Oh, and welcome to the forums Omnipotence (fellow aussie!), Kiljoi and calbrian! (I'm always forgettin' to say that :duh: )

3. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

Add me to the list of people who registered just to say...

SWEET

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

4. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Welcome (officially) to Bit Tech forums Gedron! Much appreciated. :)

5. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

G-gnome not sure if his has already been asked or said by you but any chance of scanning/photographing some more of your design sketches? intresting stuff :D

Cant wait till the next update :rock:

6. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

Well, I've followed these forums for quite some time but haven't registered until now (generally a forum lurker even at the forums i'm a mod/admin) but eventually, if a forum is good enough, you have to place your first post somewhere.. and if this isn't a good thread, then what is.

I've been on the sketch/draw stage for quite a while with my project, and even though I don't really have gotten any direct ideas from your solutions, it's a massive source of inspiration. (I'm going strictly for a discrete case so quite the opposite of Orac3)

I've read through this thread from start to finish maybe five times now, and I get more and more impressed every time. Sure, I can understand if some people don't like the esthetics (plexi, lights, chrome) but no matter what you think of the looks, you just have to adore this fantastic craftsmanship and great solutions! Personally I wouldn't want a plexi case, and no windows/lights either... but the Orac3 is simply stunning.. Definately the most impressive mod/build I've seen so far.

I'm really really looking forward to see future updates, but don't rush it..

/Axly

(whoo, just saw that i got the 666'th post.. :rolleyes: )

Last edited: 7 Nov 2003
  7. Omnipotence

Omnipotence What's a Dremel?

G-Gnome, make sure you put this on Overclockers.com.au's PCDB when you're done :p

8. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I sure will :) And welcome to the forums mate!

burnoutuk - It has been asked/said. I really only have a book of sketches. Most are incomprehensible to anyone else as I tend to scribble a bit. I might be able to put a few more up at the end of the project but don't expect much from them. :sigh:

Axly - Welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy it here.

9. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Dude, it absolutely doesn't matter one little bit if no one else can understand your sketches. I tend to quite like looking at sketches from someone else. I do the same thing though, I make REAL sketches, no sketchup or other virtual tools. I like sketching, I like looking at sketches. And as long as you understand the darn things yourself you shouldn't care about someone else ;)

10. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Good afternoon. I'm just posting to say this is one of the best mods I've seen. I'm looking forward to the final result, keep it up, but like Axly said, don't rush it.

11. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

You placed:
    1. - fan cables on top of the PSU
      - Bicolour LEDs for the voltage indicators connected to the original PSU fan connector on the left (changing colour as the PSU tells the fan (original) to speed up or slow down)
      - 2x 5mm LEDs connected to the jack plugs on the right (PSU fans on??)
      - 2x 5mm LEDs connected to the jack plugs on the left (PSU on??)
      [/list=1]
      I can't get a grip on thes leds about what the show. PSU on, Fans on, or what?

12. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

1. Just PSU on (they look cool too). Nothing fancy. :) The ones on the left will light up a small green plexi panel and the ones on the right shine through a gap between a chrome panel and a green plexi panel. Of course, I haven't shown these bits yet... ;)

13. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Sounds interesting :naughty: :naughty:

14. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

<oliver twist>

Excuse me Mr Gnome sir,

But could i have some more update please?

</oliver twist>

Keep up the good work bigman! You know we are all waiting for it!

Far be it from me to critisise what is quite clearly a work of art!

But, I was thinking about the cd drives, mabe double stealthed with a chrome panel would look good?

Im someone mentioned about all the bolt ends coming out of the top not fitting in with the rest of the case. I presume its because you like it like that! But i was thinking maybe countersunk polished hex/torx bolts would look good?

Anyway, keep going & dont definitely dont rush it (not that you seem to be!) Really amazing work!

RoB

15. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

16. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

couple hundred pics? damn.. thats crazy.. guess im gonna have to start snapping away like crazy ;) good luck w/ the case and i think the socket cap screws look really nice.. they match perfectly! They're one of the main things that make the case stand out!

17. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

You've hit the picture count over 450 pictures. I believe it's the first time I've ever seen anybody make that much pictures, building a faboules mod and becomming a Bit-tech crew member in a short period of time.

I'm wondering how many people are going to build something simular. I'm planning to. It won't be a compleet copy, but a custom build plexi case with G-gnome's tricks and some of my own.
    Already got the wiring plan finished for about 40%. :naughty:

18. ramapoughnative

ramapoughnative What's a Dremel?

just checkin in for updates... i'm chompin' at the bit with excitement... :D

19. Omnipotence

Omnipotence What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm not planning something too similar, but it's given me a few ideas. I never used to like clear cases, but now they're great. I doubt I'd mod one though because if you make a mistake there's nowhere to hide.

I think for my next mod, I'll see about doing some chroming. It really does look amazing, but I'll have to find out to what cost. The tubing around the wires also looks great.

I think the main thing to learn is not to completely disregard a certain type of case, or even individual component when modding. Who would have ever expected an acrylic case to look this stunning? I look at my modding in a different way now. Originality is definetly the key. I'm looking forward to the motherboard "stealthing". :cooldude:

20. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Omnipotence, I felt the same about clear cases.
    I really like the looks of G-gnome's case. Mine will be wider, higher and deeper. No green/white theme but a blue/white/red theme.The chrome look awesome, so does the wiring.
    It will be a homemade case with C3 parts (frontbezel). Lets mod :dremel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.