1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ Mini-Splash, less than a Gallon water cooled SFF gaming PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Goatee, 8 Dec 2018.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

very interesting to follow the progress, I love this kind of "tiny" WC PC, I'm curious to see the final shape of the case

2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have been busy over the past couple of weeks, despite the lack of updates I have been doing alot of experimenting.

One of the major challenges I have encountered was with the water cooling loop. I was set on using hard tubing (cause you know reasons) and this set me back a good week while I played with different configurations, tried bending about a million different ways.

I managed to finally get the loop to just about fit but the way it needed to go meant I couldn't get a good seal on the fittings and my pressure tests kept failing. Here is half the rejected hardline (the other half went in the bin before I thought I should document my epic failures)

[​IMG]

So I reluctantly moved over the some barbs which give the added benefit of allowing a res and making the loop take about 30 seconds to fit! Woohoo.

My second issue was that as I started to fully assemble the case, the 3mm thick acrylic panels bowed due to the weight of the densely packed parts. I decided to move over to Aluminium panels. These were orders and arrived yesterday. So I have now started to cut my back plate,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a reasonable amount of action from a selection of needle and big boy files they were complete. I appear to have quite a strong right arm as it was all done my hand. Who's have thought!

Anyway, I needed to add some way of getting the air in he case at the front. Initially I went with the traditional drill a 80mm hole in the front, but 3mm aluminium didn't really like my hole saw (of my corded drill) and the finish was great.

I then remembered seeing someone who have used a template to cut a perforated pattern in the front of a case so I unashamedly copied the idea (credit would be given if I could remember where I saw it).

[​IMG]

Its a piece of pegboard, that i used as a guide to avoid the drill bit wandering.

The finished front panel, along with res / pump / CPU block combo.

[​IMG]

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yeah, try filing with your toilet paper holding hand now.
    That's not a res. It's a thimble!

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Its not how big it is that matters, its what you do with it apparently.

Anyway, another update!

I got the new cut panels bolted together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When reattaching the HDPLEX I noticed one of the new radiator mouths fouls the HDPLEX. Ooops, I guess I should have picked that up in my extensive 3d modelling work prior to starting the project (If I had done any!).

[​IMG]

I added the GPU back in, you can see how tight its all getting and thats before I get to the wiring and cable tiding.
    [​IMG]

At least the GPU 8 pin has some clearance.
    [​IMG]

I then added the front side components.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was really pleased with how some of the fittings lined up
    [​IMG]

Final money shot with all the tubing fitting.
    [​IMG]

Notice how the res (thimble) is sitting at an angle. I think the fitting isn't engaged tight as I am also getting a slight leak when pressure testing. So will need to strip it all down and add some PTFE tape.

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I wonder if you'd be better off with a T-line instead of that tiny res - It could go right up between the GPU fittings and mate with a fill port in the roof of the case, making filling the loop easier and dealing with the problems inherent with reservoirs not being the highest point in the loop. [/my two penneth]

Really liking the build though - can't wait to see how you tackle the cable management.

The_Crapman and Goatee like this.
  6. Cheapskate

The radiator wouldn't need a bracket if you mount the fans to the panel. -Not sure why you did it that way anyway. :)
    The seat on the reservoir looked cross-threaded in the earlier shots too. It may be a re-seat fix.

Goatee likes this.
  7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Appreciate the feedback. I originally had a T-line in, but I have the space so thought why not.

I have made it marginally easier for myself in terms of cable management, but all will be revealed!

Ah, you have fallen into my trap again! (Laughs manically) Its deliberate.

I wanted the side and front panels to be removable for easier access. All the fan cables will be bunched up under the fans right at the front of the case, so I wanted to be able to access that without taking the radiator out. Hopefully see below in the update. :clap:

I spent most of this evening trouble shooting the leak, turns out it wasn't the RES but was actually a missing seal from one of the other fittings.

I recut the tubing (with a bit of resizing) and secured it with black adhesive heatshrink and double ties. It dont move!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also started playing around with a mesh to provide filtering on the twin intake fans (another reason for the detachable front, so I can clean it.)

[​IMG]

Looks like this when enclosed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Jan 2019
    _Prometheus_, Cheapskate and David like this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That looks immense, buy with limited cooling capacity I'm not sure such a thick filter is a food idea. Or any filter really. I look them out of my case and it made a big difference to coolant temps. But I suppose you can always whip it out if things get too toasty.

9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Totally, was just experimenting with some tights.

Update time.

I filled the loop last night, the reservoir holds about 20ml I know as I filled some of the loop wiling a children’s medicine syringe!

After some shaking and turning the system I managed to get the air out. It wasn’t too bad to bleed,

CPU temps are mid 30’s after 5 mins of prime, high 20’s on desktop. However furmark hits thermal limit within seconds.

I think this is caused by:

A) I fitted some plastic spacers (supplied) at each screw connection according to the generic instructions that came with the block. All the instructions were not in English, so it’s possible they weren’t needed and I’m not getting great contact with the GPU chip and waterblock. I think this is most likely.

Or

B) pump is insufficient and I’m not getting good enough flow. This could be rectified by changing to a 3600 rpm model. (I could also add an aquaero to throttle it)

Or

C) some other reason I haven’t thought of yet.

Will drain the loop and remove shims tonight

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, well knock that kinky sh!t on the head and get back to the build . ;)

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

They are only knee highs.

12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

That admission just makes it sound even worse :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

If you carry on I will post pics!

David likes this.
  14. Cheapskate

Ew, NO.
    I can think of 2 things:
    1. Using a radiator smaller than a laptop brick.
    2. Trying to get Noctuas to suck air through a sock. :lol:

Goatee likes this.
  15. The_Crapman

Did you remove the protective film on the block? What are gpu temps like running heaven or another not quite so balls-out test?

16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Laptop brick will be included in the upcoming update.

Those temps were without the sock in place!

Yep, was the plastic washers, they weren't needed :)

Update on temps:

Will be coming in the next update, but they are good!

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. The_Crapman

You need to scrub up on your engrish. Ha ha I left one side of the backing on the pads for the VRM when I first installed my block. It was not happy!

18. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Update inbound!

Here is the current set-up, missing the external panels, power button and in need of some cable tiding but pretty much there. The syringe was used to fill the loop so I stuck it in the picture too

[​IMG]

A 330ml can and the power prick to give a reminder of size (or lack of it!).

[​IMG]

The external dimensions turned out to be:
    Length: 246mm
    Height: 214mm
    Width: 91mm

Total volume (excluding a 330W dell power brick) is 4.79L, so I have gone a little over my target but I'm pretty happy with the volume.

Lots of people are interested in temperatures. I did a ~30 min Furmark and Prime 95 (small FTT) run, then took temperature readings with a non-contact thermometer.

Room temperature: 17.3°C (I do all my work in the garage)
    [​IMG]

Then starting at the fans: 21.3°C
    [​IMG]

The radiator on the inlet side: 37.0°C (Toasty)
    [​IMG]

The radiator on the outlet side: 31.6°C (much better)
    [​IMG]

The SSD: 40.0°C
    [​IMG]

Chipset: 45.2°C
    [​IMG]

Screenshot of system temps / settings all after 30 minutes of FurMark and Prime 95 run simultaneously (temps seemed to have stabilised and then dropped down slightly...?):

CPU: 50-52°C, Max of 57°C
    GPU: 37°C, Max of 40°C
    Pump ~2600RPM
    Fans ~2000RPM

[​IMG]

Given the temperatures are so low, with a bit of tinkering I should be able to dial the fans back and maybe scale the pump back a bit too.

Success!!!

Cheapskate and Guest-56605 like this.
  19. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Those temps are very very respectable fella :thumb: :clap:

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Thank you, I am very, very pleased!