1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Radeon VII revealed as AMD’s 7nm flagship gaming GPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 9 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Too pricey. Why does a gaming gpu need 16gb HBM2 memory?

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

That's pretty much irrelevant, if it offers 2080 performance it's still a bargain especially if paired with a Freesync monitor - Raytracing is still in it's infancy and limited to quite how many titles... That argument will pretty much fall flat if this overclocks well.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That's a big if.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

There's no talk of power consumption either. There's probably a reason for that.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Not sure a bargain is what I'd call it, $700 for around 1080Ti performance on 7nm. Sure you get 5GB more VRAM, but do you need it? And Freesync is subjective, I barely see any benefit, maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to vsync lag.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Less HBM2, less cost. There were only a few select titles shown where tye RVII was on par with the 2080 so for the same cost I think quite a few of thd general buyers will go for the one with rays.

Don't get me wrong, i'd like an AMD card to go with my feeesync. Will have to see the full reviews. Think i'll be waiting for Navi though.

Wonder if this is why nvidia are opening gsync up to freesync monitors.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not surprising...

The MI50 it effectively is has a 300W TDP.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So it needs about as much power as a 7970Ghz edition. That would be an interesting benchmark actually, what could you do wih 300W in 2012 vs now.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I think the sooner AMD are done with Vega and shrink it to nothing the better. I mean don't get me wrong, at least it's an alternative to Nvidia, but it's certainly not a cheap one. Then they need to get firing and hiring.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Seeing as how they seem to have lost a fair few people from ATi, jumping ship to Intel or just not amd, it'll be mostly hiring hopefully.

I agree with adidan that it would have been a better prospect as a cheaper 8gb card, seeing as how the memory is fairly pricey. They could have aimed it at the 2070 price bracket offering around 2080 performance. You could forgive how hungry it was then. But they never do, do they. They both much prefer it when their cards slip in between each other on price and performance .

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It was Strange Brigade (a forgettable me too Zombie co-op shooter from the same devs and running on the same engine as Sniper Elite 4)

13. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I've heard Vega actually undervolts very well, to the extent that folks see an increase in overclocking headroom after lowering the voltage.
    It seems like AMD is pushing the voltage to eek maximum performance without having to bin parts into a lower-tier when they can't handle full-spec clocks.

I also saw it pointed out that until recently they were saying there wasn't going to be a home version of the Instinct, because it was too expensive.
    I suspect they weren't going to make this card until the RTX series hit. AMD went "nVidia is charging WHAT for a marginal performance gain? Maybe Instinct ISN'T too expensive for home use after all."

Personally, I'm running an 8GB RX 580, and it doesn't look like that's changing this year. Yes, I'm on the lower end of the current performance curve, but it does what I need it to. My display is 1920x1080@60, my taste in flatscreen games tends towards lighter workloads anyways, and based on the showings at CES I'm not going to be upgrading my VR headset any time soon. For the moment, my performance needs are met.

14. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

It is certainly an interesting prospect, maybe priced a bit on the high side but then I think we all expected that due to the memory. Be interested to see some reviews, also if it caused Nvidia to support *some* FreeSync monitors then I guess it was all worth it.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

here's a leak of the next AMD GPU release

[​IMG]

The_Crapman, jb0 and Vault-Tec like this.
  16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So all things revealed, the shocking truth is that, even now, a cheap 2nd hand GTX 1080 is still just about the best GPU you can buy.

Anyone who bought one at launch and still rocking it, kudos to you!

17. DbD

DbD Minimodder

The geforces now support freesync too.

Really the big minus is it's not going to change the competitive landscape. It's not bringing anything new, or going to force any price reductions or anything.

I don't think you see any great numbers of this either - It's a re-purposed Radeon Instinct MI50, which is a very expensive card now being sold as a much cheaper gaming card. It's something to put in the benchmark charts, but I can't see AMD churning out loads of these.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
  18. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I'd love to see how many bungholiomarks that card gets. It looks like it'd give the BitchinFast 3D 2000 a run for its money.

Chicken76 and edzieba like this.
  19. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I think this bodes well for 7nm mid range gaming laptops in the near future.
    Until now AMD laptop graphics have been substantially inferior to Nvidias, and manufacturers have nearly always teamed Nvidia GPU with Intel CPU's. If AMD can supply both (whether as an APU or seperate chips), they may well be popular with gaming laptop buyers.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

If it's near silent while performing incredibly well, I can see BitTechers getting it as an excuse to build crazy mods.
    (Pfft what am I talking about, as if they need an excuse)

jb0 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags