1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

W10 breaking SM1 isn't a bug, it's a feature. Don't expect it to be 'fixed' any time soon.

IIRC the official MS response to 'you broke SMB1' is 'for the love of ****... stop using SMB1'.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I mean.. For the love of all that's holy, crucify SMB1 like it's Jesus and you're Roman.

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Yeah... This is big business IT and very slow to move, hell we have XP devices lurking on the domain still!

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ha, my previous employer had proper old-skool mainframes running COBOL.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

One of our (I keep saying our, but I don't work there anymore) customers had a dedicated accounts machine. I say machine, because it was an Atari ST of some variation. As far as I know, it's still in use to this day.

Another one used a Dos based text editor because it had a 'better search' functionality in that you could search for words within documents from the directory structure. Buggered if I can remember what it's called, but getting that working in virtual XP on Win7 was a pig that consumed half a day. I feel sorry for the poor sod that has to do his 7-10 upgrade.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I used to work for an investment bank as IT project manager, so I got lots of behind-the-scenes information. Their backbone was coded by a single guy in Pascal. They struggled to find a kind of apprentice for him because in 2013 there was only one university in Germany still teaching Pascal.

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

8. perplekks45

?

MLyons likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's not that unusual. Those sort of things tend to be supported and remain backwards compatible for a long time. Most of the big well-established banks will likely have some sort of mainframe running the show; they're simply too important and too risky to replace.

It's actually a big problem within the industry. The people who wrote the code for these big old systems are either retiring or dying, and they're struggling to get people to replace them. All those banks with big IT issues over the last couple of years? "Well, there's your problem", as they say.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

On topic: applying for new jobs. I hate this merry-go-round... Doesn't help that my CV is all databases, SQL Server, business intelligence, analytics, etc, and I'm looking at devops; I get a lot of calls from recruiters pitching DB development and BI stuff...

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Change your CV. Don't lie outright, but emphasise the elements of your current role that apply to what you want to do, make sure the right keywords are in there for what you want, and the keywords for what you don't want, aren't.

Recruiters as a general rule have no idea about either the roles they're trying to fill, or the candidates they're talking to in any depth, use this to your advantage to snag an interview. Then make sure you have an excellent story about how your current skills are very transferable, and having a different background/perspective on the team would be to your prospective employers advantage.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  12. perplekks45

QFT

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

It truly is, we have stuff written to work in Access 97, put it into anything more modern, it breaks. Person that made it died some years ago. That along with dependency on things like Oracle 8. Its a bit daft.

Also on the job front, I've become that fed up where I am I applied for a shop manager role, see what comes of it.
    My days usually comprise of adding one or two things to machines via SCCM, its mind numbing looking busy all day.

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You're 2 short, the answer is 42.

goldstar0011 and The_Crapman like this.
  15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's not SMB that's the problem... it's NTLM... apparently...

Source - the guy from MS shouting at everyone to stop using SMB1.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Personally I have never had any problems with the Super Mario Bros.

adidan likes this.
  17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

PC has started blue screening. Can't tell if it was the update windows did without me asking, nvidia drivers or my python code

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Is that about 2 pinters or 'bounce' :eyebrow:

MLyons likes this.
  19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

My demented grandma is coming to stay with me and I also stepped on two of my dip pens.
    F
    M
    L

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh yeah, I already have updated it recently, along with my LinkedIn profile. But that doesn't stop recruiters from picking up old copies or simply doing keyword matching on skills job titles ;). I had someone approach me about a senior Python developer role - I mention Python twice and nothing in my CV even hints at me being an application developer, let alone a senior one. Like you say I'm not going to lie but I've worn a lot of different hats in the last 15 years or so, so they've got a lot of keywords to choose from.

It's the new year so they're just fishing. It's a PITA having to weed out the recruiters who are full of it, but it's all part of the dance.