1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project C.M.O.S. (Cooler Master Optimized System)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by djrusty, 7 Sep 2003.

1. dibley

dibley What's a Dremel?

Hiper case lamps

Hi mate,

I was just browsing my CPC supplement and came accross some Hiper case Lamp Kits and thought of your project. :D I don't know if you are interested, but they do the following kits:

CS1025601 - Blue
    CS1025701 - Purple
    CS1025801 - Red
    CS1025901 - Green
    CS1026001 - Yellow
    CS1026101 - UV ( Black )

They retail per kit at £9.50 each, or at £8.75 for 2+

( Spare blubs at £7.50 / 6.50 )

(all prices are plus the dreaded FAT)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I'm allowed to post their contact details...
    They can be found at :
    www.cpc.co.uk
    sales@cpc.co.uk
    08701 21 29 81
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I may be placing an order for some bits for work this week, if you want to share postage! :thumb:

P.P.S. On the BioHazard front I may be a sad-oh, but I think it looks well neat. But what do I know?!!! :duh:

P.P.JUST.ONE.MORE.S. Haven't fans come along way since I last built a machine.... Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite..... what a funky little number... and all for £12.50!!!

Last edited: 8 Nov 2003
  2. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

Cheers matey, I'll pop in and see you maybe monday/tuesday and have a looky - might see some other stuff I can use for modding as well!

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

P.S. Is that Aero 7 one just the plain squirrel cage fan? They look ok but they do another version that looks like a jumbo-jet engine and that just looks well daft IMHO.

3. Lord Kordir

Lord Kordir What's a Dremel?

Where in the South do you guys live?

4. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

Weymouth, in Dorset dude.

5. DizBjOhN104

DizBjOhN104 What's a Dremel?

nice case dude, i should make my case have a handle on top :D easier to carrry

6. Lord Kordir

Not too far away from me then :blah:

7. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

nr Dover Kent i live - hence 'on the edge of nowhere'

8. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

Yeah not all that far I guess.

9. Lord Kordir

I'd like to go to a LANparty really but I'm a bit clueless

10. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure exactly how close/far it is to you, but there's Westlan near Exeter

11. Lord Kordir

That's very close indeed. Cheers

12. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

I'm not really into gaming so I don't reckon there'd be much point in me going to a LAN party. Don't know where they would be happening round here either.

13. dibley

dibley What's a Dremel?

Er.. I'm not sure what a squirrel cage fan looks like, but this does look abit like a jet engine. It is a centrifugal fan, as aposed to a radial fan. It sits on top of an alu heatsink. (they do a copper one for twice as nice, I mean price!)

Correction: I have just been on their site (which doesn't work fully in mozilla!) and it isn't quite like the jet engine ones, but similar...

[​IMG]

But I think in your case one of these would be the kiddy!

[​IMG]

2nd CORRECTION: The site does work in mozilla, as long as you enter with IE, then copy one of the page urls into mozilla! Odd one! hehe. I will not support Gate's World Domination Plan!

Just found a 4x4x12xDVD write/rewrite/reader for sub £100 in cpc too! I'm not sure If I could machine an alu panel up to fit the front of it for you though!!!!!:dremel:

:idea: I should try it with my old screwed CD writer... the one I screwed, when you gave me that fan... remember that night...:wallbash: HAHA! I can laugh now.... (Two months old then, that writer was, wasn't it). :duh:

Last edited: 9 Nov 2003
  14. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

Dibley: - Hehe, yeah that second pic is the jet-engine one - horrendous! The term squirrel cage, as far as I can tell, comes from the shape of the fan, imagine a hamster running round inside it, you get the picture? Maybe yanks keep squirrels as pets, I dunno, they do like to do everything bigger than us! As for DVD writers, have you never been to ebuyer.co.uk? They have them for like £90 (Sony), and CoolerMaster make alu bezels for CD drives but I'm gonna go down a different route with the drives, all will be revealed soon!

P.S. I remember that drive yes! I'm never gonna give you a case fan ever again - who'd have thought such a simple operation could have such disasterous consequences!

:wallbash: :waah:

15. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

16. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

Hardware going in . . . then coming out.

Well, I got some of my hardware for this project last week - P4 3.06ghz, Radeon 9600 256mb, RAM, thermalright cooler and 120gb SATA seagate HDD.

The board, as I have mentioned before, is an Asus P4G8X, an engineering sample that I aquired on eBay.

Due to not having the correct IO sheild for this board I had to attack the one I did have with the draper to make it useable:

[​IMG]

Having got that sorted I set about installing the new kit on the board:

[​IMG]

All looking good, time to fire her up and make sure everything works. This board can be run in jumpered or jumperless mode - didn't seem to work in jumperless mode, I set the CPU speed and rebooted - nothing, blank screen. Bugger! Then I cleared the cmos and set the board to jumpered mode and set the cpu speed manually - works ok. Nice low temps showing in the BIOS, about 28 degrees C on the p4. Time to install windoze then I thought. But no, this board seems to not have the SATA and firewire ports enabled. Despite setting the jumpers to enable these on the board, no settings are found in the BIOS where they should be. Buggeration, can't see my shiny new hard drive.

I played around with this for ages to no avail so decided to get another board. Kustom PCs had a retail version of this board in B-grade stock on their site - I ordered it but alas, the page wasn't updated and I received an email to say they had sold it. Poo.

Having hunted around for another board with dual channel DDR and SATA, I have ended up ordering a Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 from Overclockers. Hopefully that'll turn up this week and I'll be good to go again. I've removed the P4G8X now anyway and taken off all the new bits. Perhaps things will go a little better in round 2!

:wallbash:

Last edited: 24 Feb 2004
  17. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

crap!

Oh dear, the Gigabyte sinxp1394 arrived this week - put it all together to check it works - not good news I'm afraid. No amount of playing around, substituting RAM, graphics cards etc, will get this bugger to even post. Put the Asus back in and tried that again to make sure I hadn't fried the CPU or something - all boots up fine (minus SATA and firewire of course).

Had a look round on the net and it seems many others have had trouble getting the sinxp1394 to post, particularly REV1, which this is. I got fed up in the end and it's getting sent back.

For the time being, plan C will be to go back to the Asus board but add in a SATA controller card. Might actually have a working setup for this project soon!

:wallbash:

At least my new blue cathodes work anyway!

18. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

I had an issue with the SATA on my ASUS A7N8X Delux...It's not native on my board, like IDE is, so you have ot install drivers to get it to work with windows. I got drivesr on my ASUS CD, and had to put them on a floppy, and press F6 when it said "Press F6 to install 3rd part SCSI or RAID drivers". After that it worked fine. Had to find a floppy drive, though (I'm also part of the revolution against the floppy).

Your board might have native SATA, but if not, then try that method. Firewire requires windows to be installed....

19. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

Hey there, thanks for your suggestions on the SATA front. I have tried the floppy and F6 thing - no go, windoze cannot find the drive. Something odd about this board I think because it's a pre-retail engineering sample. Flashed to latest BIOS and still no settings where they should be in the BIOS. Oh well, try the add-in SATA controller card next. I need to get this thing up and running so I can get stuck into some more moddage!

20. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I'm hoping for a Jet4 for my P4 this Christmas :naughty: