1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I last worked in an IT support role of kinds in early 2011, yet I still get offers for 1st level support roles. Usually I send back an email in which I kindly ask the recruiters to do their bloody job and just look at my Xing or LinkedIn profile for 2 minutes. They never get on my nerves again after that.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I hear you, I get matches on "IT" and "Nottingham" I think, and recruiters think it's a done deal. A few weeks ago I got an email regarding a really exciting opportunity for a 1st line helpdesk analyst, on a 3-6 month contract at that.

I don't even bother responding any more - pretty sure many of them are bots anyway.

Last time I responded to to a recruiter touting a systems architect role with something along the lines of "Thanks for the message, but not really my bag. I am however considering new opportunities in <different bag> if you were to have any appropriate vacancies", I received:

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I got an email from a recruitment agency asking me if I knew anyone that would be interested in a CNC machinist job... Excuse me? I literally have no idea who you are or how you got my details, but you want me to do YOUR job?

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

crowd sourcing of course.... They're doing you a favour by letting you help your mates.

5. Mister_Tad

Play their game, seek someone out that would be interested, get all the info you can out of them, and use that info to refer them directly, cutting the recruiter out of the loop.

IanW likes this.
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My employers actively encourage this, offering a £1000 cash bounty if someone I recommend for a job here ends up staying for more than 6 months.

7. Mister_Tad

A previous employer (a bank) tiered the referral bonus to the level of the role. An exec placement was $50k.
    One of my wife's uncles was a fairly senior director in finance and you can bet I kept pestering him that he should move across. He did not sadly.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Client who has been overdue on invoices totalling several hundred quid since December 2018 broke radio silence to apologise and say he'll get it sorted.

Why is that in this thread? That was four days ago, and he's gone silent again.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Oh I know that feeling... hopefully he doesn't do a bunk out of the country to avoid paying up...

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ebay global shipping program. My Astell&Kern was received and I had an email to say it was there. Seconds later I had an email to say it was under review as a potentially prohibited item.

Who in their right mind allowed a seller to use the GSP when the item "might be prohibited"? I mean ****. It's an ebay shipping service based on ebay sales, they must know what the **** is in there. Imbeciles.

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Some smelly oik in a similar but different vehicle has cloned my numberplate and got me a county council penalty charge notice.

So it's going to be fun trying to unpick that.

12. liratheal

No help, but.. that seems to be getting a lot more common these days. I'm sure I read about another instance of that this month.

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Thankfully.

1. It's in a town several hours away that I've never been to.
    2. That very day my car was parked in a train station.
    3. I then went on a train trip.
    4. Because it was a working day this was a working trip and I have receipts for expenses.
    5. No-one else drives my car.
    6. By the time I drove to the town in question, I would have been there 15 minutes before the parking offence occurred.
    7. The parking offence was for parking more than 2 hours in maximum 2 hours stay.

So even if it was my car I have evidence that places me still here at a time I could therefore not possibly have breached the parking conditions.

liratheal, IanW and MLyons like this.
  14. Mister_Tad

Could be worse. A neighbour of mine had the Police come to her to question her in connection with a robbery (relatively locally), as the getaway car was "hers"

15. liratheal

I mean.. who doesn't use their own car for getaway driving?

16. Mister_Tad

When they turned up and the car was on the drive, and she answered the door in her heavily pregnant state, they considered that perhaps there was something fishy going on.

17. liratheal

Sounds like the perfect cover to me! Clearly she's the mastermind behind it all.

18. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Pretty sure the package I'm expecting is just lost. :sigh: Usually it takes a week to get here, now it's been almost a month. Tracking has been frozen for weeks. I'll probably get my money back, but not looking forward to all the hassle of dealing the store etc.
    There's a hand-made thing in there so it's a real shame...

19. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Partner being pushed around by her boss, they get on well but he'll write her down for shifts on the basis he knows she won't speak up and complain. She'll just do it and be physically exhausted & stressed. Its becoming more and more frequent she'll be working all day Friday through to Monday which means we never get any time together, that scattered with a couple night shifts means the times we do spend together we're both tired and just not really interested in doing much. Meanwhile the remaining staff pick and choose when they'll come and go as they please so she tends to work twice as hard to pick up the slack.

This whole weekend has been a firefight with a grumpy toddler who just purely wants attention but seems to be only getting from one parent at a time rather than two...

It does drive me harder towards a life of debt freedom because in reality she doesn't need to be working so many hours, would be nice to get back some sort of quality of life for the both of us

20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

PC I'm trying to get working either stays at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" or "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!". Can't get the thing into windows.