1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What exactly is 'old-school modding'?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 11 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

zip ties and duct tape...

Vault-Tec and jb0 like this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Orac³ got me here. It'll always have a special place in my heart. I even made my girlfriend go through all articles just last year. Couldn't accept the fact she didn't know this masterpiece!

WMD and Dark Blade too were both special and should be mandatory reading for all aspiring young modders. Same goes for basically all Mod of the Month/Year articles here.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Orac³ is my favourite PC mod ever, of all time. It's so beautiful in it's chaos and you never see clear acrylic cases anymore, everyone's got to hide everything nowadays.

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Is it the PC itself, or the method used to create it that you are trying to class as old school? If it's the PC, then old school could just mean old-looking. If you're talking about the method of creating or modding the PC, then old school (to me) would be using hand tools and perhaps a power drill. With tech nowadays, notably CNC machines and 3d printers, it can be much easier to create or mod things in the home, instead of outsourcing to a professional firm, so you still get the feeling of "Yes, I made this myself", which you did.

Cygnus X1 was my favourite of all time, and all done by hand if I remember correctly.

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Old school techniques and innovation rolled into one - one name springs immediately to mind, Wayne Wilkinson aka Waynio.

The guy will always remain a legend in my eyes.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

To me, Orac 3 is a mess in a plastic box but, Cygnus X-1 is a work of art. Maybe, one day, I'll make my own wooden case...

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

No Half Life mention. :lol: Tell me this article isn't an attempt to summon the elder gods.
    For me, old school is an optical drive housed in tupperware.

9. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Cygnus x-1 was my favorite mod of all time. It was a real event drooling over the updates. Truly exquisite workmanship. Did you see the decking he did at his home as well?...wow!

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Old school? To me old school was very much make do and mend - not buying the bits off the shelf.

Making a cooling loop using a car's AC evaporator or oil cooler as your radiator, with black rubber hosing hooked up to your aquarium pump with jubilee clips.

Using distilled water with radiator inhibitor as a your cooling medium.

Or how about making your window edging by cutting the coloured insulation out of a length of 2.5mm twin & earth cable with a craft knife.

The point is, I am often thoroughly underwhelmed by pristine hardline loops and RGB, but just as often blown away by the guy who pulls out an inspired feat of engineering to get round a problem that threatened to halt the entire project. The guy willing to take a dremel to his radiator, to make it fit inside his custom built chassis, rather than cough up £2k and just replace everything.

Nexxo, cobalt6700, liratheal and 3 others like this.
  11. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Old school is using a caravan window rubber to mount a window

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I agree with you on both points, also Cygnus X-1 is absolutely gorgeous too. It just happens that Orac is a mess in a plastic box that I adore.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This. Taking every day objects no-one ever intended to be a PC or be in a PC, cutting, filing, chopping, glueing, screwing, smashing, painting and polishing them, making them fit, making it work.

I also like the mention of the little rucuss I caused in November's motm.
    [​IMG]
    :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

adidan likes this.
  14. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

So largely I’m seeing that old-school equates either to low effort solutions or shoddy work, gotcha, makes sense now.

15. The_Crapman

[​IMG]

Also what you're describing is ghetto modding. For the modding rep you don't seem to know a great deal. :winking:

Last edited: 12 Jan 2019
  16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Oof harsh words, although what you described is very much ghetto modding.

17. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Sorry Alex, but that post comes across as being both blatantly arrogant and contemptuous.

18. The_Crapman

"cutting, filing, chopping, glueing, screwing, smashing, painting and polishing" = effort.
    Ghetto modding = zero effort.

Being unhappy with your case feet, requiring more height for better ventilation, so you remove the old ones, find some nice cabinet door knobs, sand them down and paint them to match the build, attach to the case with a nice looking bolt= old school modding
    Putting your case up on bricks like a dirty scouser=ghetto modding

Making a reservoir from drain pipe and 2 end caps, holes drilled and tapped, filler used to shape it, sanded, primed, painted, mounted with hand made brackets = old school modding
    Blue tacking a baked bean tin to the floor of the case and just dangling pipes into it = ghetto modding

Splicing an aio to include a res and loop in a northbridge block
    [​IMG]
    = modern modding
    Using a shoe lace to hold up the res when you strip the thread on the res (zoom top right)
    [​IMG]
    = ghetto modding

Too much paraffin in the moustache wax maybe?

stonedsurd likes this.
  19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Dunno if it was meant that way, but I definitely read Maki's post with a wink smiley at the end of it.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

To me, "old school" modding was when there wasn't a modding section in the stores. When you had to make other things do what you needed. Like I did with a Peugeot 206 heat exchanger because it had better fin density than any available radiator, and it fit in the gap I had.

These days it's just a case of finding the right rad from one of the many retailers.

Old school was when people wanted different fin arrangement on their CPU block so they made their own out of a block of copper. Or a different coloured cover, so they bought the acrylic, measured six ways to Sunday and made their own.

That's not to say "modern" modding is bad. It's just different. It, I think, opened up the artistic aspect of it all because you're not spending money and time making the components fit, instead you're spending the time on the look. Of course, there were people who did both back in the day, but it's enabled those of us with less skill/dedication/time to achieve similarly impressive results.

stonedsurd likes this.
Tags: Add Tags