1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Apple Watch Info

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 12 Jan 2019.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

My daughter has expressed interest in having a used Apple Watch for her birthday, and I know very little about them, other than a quick scoot round the web this week.
    My usual Apple expert (my son...) is somewhat dismissive and can't see the attraction.

She is running an iPhone 6+ courtesy of the MP here, and would like a 38mm Apple Watch to go with it.

The main question is whether the original generation or second generation, which will be the cheapest are worth having?

She's found a 38mm 1st gen rose gold one with no charger for £50 for example, and I have no idea if this is OK or a waste of money, as it will need a new battery or conk out.

Thanks as ever; that's 2 questions posted, and I'm sure there was a third running round my brain...

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I had a Gen 2 for around 9 months but ended up selling it on as it didn't give me much. I work at a desk in IT so I've always go my phone to hand and the battery life wasn't great so I couldn't use it for a silent alarm for waking me up.

I'm tempted to buy a Gen 4 now as they have included the GPS which means for my biking I don't have to keep my phone too handy and it can be protected away in my backpack. Also the battery life is much better in the newer ones so a friend at work gets 2 full days+ out of his.

I certainly wouldn't get a 1st gen as I can imagine the battery like being so bad it spends more time on the charger than her wrist - that's not far off what my Gen 2 was like lol

Arboreal likes this.
  3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I'd ignore Gen 1. It won't be getting many (if any) more updates.
    I've got a Gen2 and that's been runing like a dream ever since I've had it & still gets updates.

Ignore anything that comes without a charger, as not only will you need the charger but it's most likely been "found" and will be locked to an apple ID

4. maxlxyd

maxlxyd What's a Dremel?

I had a gen 2 and it was very good and great fun to use, but recently sold it as I had no need for it anymore. You can pick one up with a charger and a spare strap for around £100. Like @saspro mentioned I would most certainly avoid Gen 1.

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

OK, so that's a consensus against Gen 1 then! I'm not surprised, I'll have to look at how Gen 2 prices are looking and see what we can do.
    Many thanks as ever