1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Bedroom quiet Routing capable switch suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynamis_dk, 11 Jan 2019.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

So I've got a HP ProCurve 1810G which connect to the Virgin media hub down stairs, VM hub deals with DHCP (few clients are statics) and every thing is happy...

I'm looking to build up a VM server for some training so I'd like to achieve the following:

VM server = everything set static so no need for DHCP. Would like to set all this to 192.168.0.0/24. Ideally I'd like to set the VM host management to something like 192.168.1.1 and be able to get to it via my PC on 192.168.0.2. This is where I'm told routing comes in so the theory went that I could setup another vlan (along side the default VLAN0) and enable routing on my switch and everything would be able to communicate ok.

From a few google arounds it would seem the HP ProCurve 1810G is L2 only so no routing so I'm back to the drawing board. I've a Cisco 3750 here but its only 100mb and its far too loud to run in the bedroom all the time so I'm looking for options.

Can anyone recommended a gigabit routing capable switch (I'm getting it needs to be L3) which is bedroom friendly? I'll pre-warn you, I'm not a network guy in any form lol, basic principles as explained to me are what the basis of the above idea comes from - don't be too hard on me :p

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

3. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

You'd be better off investing in a VLAN capable router than into L2+/L3 switch, even if you only be using said router as a switch/ wifi AP. Get something like Archer C7 and flash openwrt, or if you don't wifi - what Zoon suggested.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Another vote for a router-on-a-stick.
    L3, silent and wallet friendly doesn't leave much to choose from - Ubiquiti Edgeswitches have L3 capabilities with limitations and caveats, and fanless models, but even then will be more expensive than a router.

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Cheers guys, I'll look into that. I like the Mikrotik thing, nice and small :)

I've got a Cisco 1811 from work as they are being taken out of service so I'm gonna do a test to make sure I can get things doing what I want for free, then I might look at buying the Mikrotik once I'm happy I can do what I want.

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The 1811 will do what you want with dot1q subinterfaces to create multiple VLANs. But it will not be silent and will eat a considerable chunk more power than the mikrotik.