1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Chinless, bezelless, foreheadless phones?

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 19 Jan 2019.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

This kind of isn’t a rant, more of a start of a discussion. Do we really need these things for our phones? I mean I’m fine with them and I’m struggling to see the point in removing them. I like the old Apple products like my 2013 MacBook Air. Amazing keyboard, trackpad, strong, reliable, okay price. Now? Not so much.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm confused is your issue with phones or laptops?

3. Boscoe

Sorry, it was the phones. I should have explained better. The second part about the laptops is an addition to support my negative feelings towards form over function.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I hate how giant they all are. I couldn't walk round with one of the 'top' phones in my pocket, it's so uncomfortable. Fortunately Sony do their compact phones, but if they stop I'm buggered for a decent spec phone.

5. Boscoe

Agreed. Stupidly I went for the big iPhone a couple of years ago. Now I’m wishing for a top spec iPhone 5. I know I’ll never get it however.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I don't get why people jump up and down about performance in a freaking phone.

I have a moto G4, do i wait for ages for it to do stuff, no not really, I watched videos on it, Google some crap ect ect, why does it need to be super quick?

Honestly out of all the tech I own the only thing I wish was quicker is our toaster and I literally bought a new one last week.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

They all gotta justify the massive price inflation somehow.

Meanwhile I pledge allegiance to the Galaxy S5 for as long as I can buy new batteries for it.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I just went from a fairly budget phone (which I was quite happy with) to a year old flag ship model (for similar money). For all the extra features and improved hardware, the main day to day usability improvement is actually performance. Everything just feels a lot quicker and more responsive. The way I mostly use a phone when I actually need to use it, in short bursts in response to wanting to know something fairly specific, having things quicker and more responsive to load makes sense even if on paper there isn't a huge difference. Maybe even more so the the often fairly marginal day to day gains from more expensive PC components.

Also I can recommend the Russell Hobbs Colour Plus Toaster. Much faster than our old one and bread actually fits in the slots :happy:

9. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I've got the iPhone 7 + I actually quite like the size but wouldn't want anything bigger, Performance wise I don't really see much difference as I've changed iPhones over the years.

My contract runs out in a few months and I'm going Sim only, I don't want a new phone because I'll end up paying upwards of £60 a month for the same functionality

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Speaking of overpriced phones

ASUS ROG Phone?

[​IMG]

Yes thats a suit case, two docks, game cradle and case...

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I see at least three docks, and there's an unidentified box too: Thinview Dock, WiGig Display Dock, Professional Dock.

12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Counterpoint: Modern smartphones are not overpriced for what not many years ago would indistinguishable from magic. Their specifications and capabilities are insane for the money. Putting them in all in a small package does not necessarily mean they should be cheaper. Just because what we have come to expect is fine and we don't need anything else doesn't mean that things like a screen that covers almost the whole of the front of the device or cameras that are ridiculously capable/flexible is not an incremental improvement worth having.
    Do people really expect things to stay the same because they don't need them to be any different? And if so do they think they get to arbitrarily pick the point at which that occurs?

edzieba likes this.
  13. legoman

Oops yes sorry, full set of toys

AeroActive cooler
    Twinview dock
    Gamevice
    Mobile desktop dock
    Asus Professional Dock
    WiGig display dock
    Case
    Suitcase

The desktop dock and pro dock I would probably use (and the case) rest I don't really see the need for but I cant really see the need for a Gaming phone.

Anyway my main irk with the bulk of new phones is they are all so bloody big. I have a Huawei P10, might be complete with Chinese spy's who knows, screens 5.1" I placed it on top of some guys Iphone XS whatever it is, you could see his screen round my phone. I don't get why you need one that big its basically a tablet.
    An the whole edge less screen is just an accident waiting to happen.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I hear that Apple are bringing back the iPhone SE.

15. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

How small are your pockets??

I agree, the "phablet" sized phones are overkill and cumbersome to use 1-handed (or impossible if you have smaller hands), but the standard versions of the Galaxy S9, Pixel, Iphone etc (non-Plus/XL versions) are just about right for me - the increased width and height makes for slimmer devices that slip into my pockets quite nicely.

16. legoman

I'm with Crapman, I like "smaller" phone I just find them more practical I don't need a huge screen, I have glasses so I can read things from smaller displays.

I still remember the days of the super small phones, I loved having my Ericsson T39 you could loose it in a pocket quite easily (bar the stubby antenna) battery lasted a good week an you could replace it.
    I just looked up, 96H x 50W x 18D mm