1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 4K VGA Value Chart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 24 Jan 2019.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Anyone else befuddled by how similar, and similarly expensive, all the top-end cards are? The numbers start to all smeg together after a while of staring. I just bodged this together in 10 minutes, as a quick reference to keep it straight in my head, and thought it might be useful to others.

4k vga value 2019-01-24.jpg

Interesting (but not surprising) to see value still slopes off horribly in the top tier. 'Twas ever thus, right? Those last 3 prices were hard-to-find outliers, too, average prices were about £100 higher than that.

I used to do big, sprawling charts that averaged across several games and all that shite. This one is just taken from the Bit-Tech Battlefield 1 3840x2160 numbers, averaging min. and avg. FPS. It's Price over FPS *10, so a higher value coefficient is better.

This was actually a hugely beneficial exercise for me, because my first thought while browsing eBuyer was "ooh! A 1080 is only £490 now, that's cheap!" Turns out it's not cheap for the performance - it's just cheap relative to its original - horrible - price.

[common sense]
    Bear in mind that there will be minimum acceptable FPS for your particular games and resolution, so figure out that minimum, draw a line above the cheapest card that meets it and don't bother with the ones above the line. A great value card that produces 20fps in your game of choice is still only producing 20fps, no matter how cheap each of those 20 frames were it's still a crap result.
    [/common sense]

If you hate my lazy-a$$ method or want to plug your own values in, I've left the Google Sheet open here, you can download an XLS copy and go nuts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v3Idal81Qgr_Ho7REuPWm9gEkSaaHVir1gbpBzmVjvI/edit?usp=sharing

edit- oh and the 1070 Ti isn't on there because really, who gives a ****.

edit - okay I admit it, the real reason isn't prejudice, it's just that there was no test result for it.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2019
    Pete J, B1GBUD, Spanky and 3 others like this.
  2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

If you pay £490 for a GTX 1080 now, you're bonkers.

If only the RTX 2060 was £/$50 cheaper, it'd actually be a good buy.

As of right now though, 2nd hand GTX 1080 for ~£350 (which is achievable going by Ebay "sold" listings) is still best bang-for-buck in my eyes.

3. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Im just going to carry on with my GTX 1070. Its been outstanding for the last 2 years and still decent @ 1440p . I would upgrade as i get the itch like everyone else does ... just not willing to have my pants pulled down on these new 2 series cards. There just seems no sense in it at all.

I think you really have to ask yourself and justify a new GPU in todays market. I would only bother if i REALLY needed to.

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ditto re my 1080.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not really surprising:

There are only two companies designing GPUs (not counting Intel until their promised GPU actually hits stores) and both of them have no choice but to have their products manufactured by one single company (TSMC), so it would be surprising if they didn't all follow a very predictable value / perf formula.

6. boiled_elephant

The 1070 just isn't there on 4k gaming, that's the problem for me. You'd be non-futureproof in about a month on a 4k screen. This is all hypothetical, mind. I don't own a 4k screen, I'm just delusional.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm. Should've sprung for a 2080 instead of a 1080 Ti. Oh well.

8. boiled_elephant

That's only based on my prices found at the time of writing. It's very likely that the prices were different when you bought it, they change about as fast as F1 leaderboards during a race.