1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

That sounds like my type of evening..

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Almost 25 years ago I was hit by a car on a crossing (50:50 blame) and landed on the rod sitting bolt-upright. Being the young, sorta fit lad that I was, I picked myself up, dusted my jeans off and thought little more of it other than my bike was toast, this means that things were left untreated for far too long and I developed a problem with one of the joints on the back of my pelvis. Fast forward 12 years to me being at university and I was in constant pain (still am) and I was put on various bits and pieces as the damage is severe enough to cause pain, but not enough that anything can be done to easily fix it.

Co-codamol, diclofenac, occasionally codeine, tramadol, diazepam when absolutely needed and none of them bar straight codeine affected me when taking the normal dose. Co-codamol with 30mg of codeine in it works fine, no worries, but 30mg straight codeine and I am spaced for a good half hour to an hour. Not a bad feeling and nothing negative afterwards, but I'm pretty useless for a while until the trippy bits wear off.

The real eye opener for me was cannabis. Being at uni, there was always someone about who knew or had some and a very dear friend offered me a little one evening. Pain gone. Of course, I was stoned for a bit, no worries about anything, but after that weekend I realised that I had no pain during the week either. Pretty much straight away I decided that I would treat it in exactly the same way as drink, i.e. never drive after it, don't go to work or classes stoned (Electrical and electronic engineering degree meant I needed to be all there for classes anyway). So I'd have a bit on Friday evening, Saturday, and maybe Sunday afternoon, nothing during the week. It was a revelation, no need for any of the other things I was taking, no pain during the week, until maybe late Friday afternoon.

Of course, now it isn't worth my job to risk smoking anything like that anymore so I am back on the prescribed medication with all the side effects that go with it. I'm on Naproxem every day, I have my little stash of co-codamol, tramadol, and diazepam for those bad days again. I try to push through the pain as much as I can these days without taking any of the painkillers, and most days I manage it, but I miss those days at university. I miss being completely pain free with full movement, and being able to do stuff properly. I miss being able to work out, help out with the junior Judo classes, and do garden work.

Really not a fan of the opiate based stuff, but hey, it's legal right?

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Does your job have mandatory checks? Or shifts that you never know when they are?

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

IIRC he works an 'office job' so to speak - But the risk of getting found out (Blabby colleague finds out, for example) is probably too great to take. Pretty much my main objection to recreational, responsible, weed smoking too.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Bless the Netherlands.

liratheal likes this.
  6. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Have you asked your doctor about cannabidiol/CBD?
    It's supposed to contain little to no THC (the stuff that makes you high), so it might be ok for work.

Just to be clear I'm not a doctor, I don't know what the legislation is where you are and I've never used the stuff (or even cannabis itself). So disclaimer.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's too cold outside to spray paint, and I suspect it wouldn't go down well if I were to do it inside.

Until ChineseTM electronics arrive, it looks like my Lawgiver is stalled.

8. Almightyrastus

Medicinal cannabis has actually been legal in the UK since October of last year, but doctors won't prescribe it:

https://hightimes.com/health/medica...80ai4edI_AvddKZjT9OuV9i3Ur7Jv900HP1QvBVN_M2Bk

As for CBD only stuff, again legal here, but stupid money for anything with any decent concentration in it, I just don't have the spare cash to get it.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Life is expensive when you're on the lower end of the income scale.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

24h bug hit me friday night, there goes my weekend

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

So many stories of people having their cancers either cured or halted due to cannabis. It aint just pain, cancers, brain tumors, epilepsy, leukemia ect. There is a ton of evidence out there but they refuse to open their eyes or do their own studies. But they will use opiates and cocaine derivatives quite happily.

12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Totally failed diet this weekend, it’s not a big deal but it’s taken all the momentum out of it. I have very little time to excercise besides a quick HIT session now and then which is pretty hard when you have a 14 month old clinging to your legs like a magnet. Whenever we go anywhere family, friends he’s started to cling to me. I don’t pick him up, I don’t give in to his demands but it’s constant because he’s overtired and I’m the only one he really sees on a consistent basis. Putting probably too much hope in the prospect of getting that £330 a month back because our quality of life at the moment in regards to family time & general financial comfort is dire. Once I’ve paid the rent, bills and loans I’ve got about enough money to exist if that’s even an accurate description for it.

It’s also miserable outside so my only release today will be taking a drive out in the car if I can justify protecting my mental stability over a quid in fuel.

Tomorrow is a new week though so every opportunity to turn it around

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Small children make outstandingly good dumbbells, the best part is that the weight progresses over time, so you won't plateau for three years!

IanW, Vault-Tec and David like this.
  14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

After which you'll royally put your back out.

15. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

That's the issue, I do occasionally pump out a quick set if he's feeling compliant. holding around the waist under the arms, nice close grip reps.

Problem is I've done this a few times around my nieces and there's a considerable difference between him and the 9 year old!

Few times I've done myself a mischief pretending I'm not weak.

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Think my cough has knackered one of the hernia repairs and might need it operating on again. So ****ing annoyed.

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Side swiped around mid day by anxiety about work, sudden feeling of isolation, loneliness, inadequacy and uselessness, no idea why just occurred but my minds just going through reaffirming all the above for me at the moment.

18. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Throat infections galore!

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Get some difflam spray. It's an absolute God send!

20. Almightyrastus

Exactly, there has long been a head-in-the-sand mentality towards it in this country with too much long reliance placed upon old tests and studies. Another problem is the cost. Even if things do change and it becomes legalized here, the cost will still be prohibitive for a lot of people. I can understand the high pricing when it is illegal, there's the risk factor to account for, plus the people selling it are probably not going to be well known for their altruism... However, looking to those states in the US where it is legal for either medicinal or recreational use, the costs are still very high for a plant that can be grown on a mass scale or even at home in some cases.