1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

DITTO!

Took the opportunity and Pre-Ordered the Gold Edition direct from Steam whilst it's still there.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

But yet Exodus will cost the same on Epic as it was going for on Steam... At least in the UK. In the US it'll be $10 less on Epic.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

TBH the game industry needs a shot in the arm. So if that means buying from Epic so new games can come out? So be it. I would rather pay more for games and know my cash is headed for developers than some dude's pocket who hasn't bothered to release a game for years because he's too busy making his living off the backs of others.

It's a bit bad when some dude with a store front is making more than the dudes who wrote the game ffs.

It needs sticking to the man at some point.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Most likely Epic (via Tencent) gave them a huge chunk of money to make the game an Epic Store exclusive. Meanwhile Valve demand money to be included on the front page, lest ye be dragged under by the flow of shovelware, on top of the 30% from every sale.

Valve really are being made to sleep in the bed they made. When EA left to set up Origin over the sale fees they did nothing, they didn't set up a refund system until the threat of legislation forced them, they refuse to enforce any kind of quality control on published games and because of that they've willingly sold people malware. I am not surprised medium sized studios are taking up Epic's offer to just not be on Steam, they will only be sharing the storefront there with proper games, which will surely improve consumer confidence in them over time.

At least 4A/Deep Silver are honouring Steam purchases and will supply updates/expansions on the platform to existing customers. Now to see if Valve actually has a plan to compete or if they're going all in with the money laundering.

5. Vault-Tec

Yeah you'd think after all of the hints valve would have gotten the message.

Uplay, Origin, Battlenet, GOG, Bethesda and any I've either forgotten or don't know about. That's a lot of hints,man.

Thing is? IMO UBI are knocking out some amazing games since they launched their store. They also give you "loyalty" coins in playing their games which then leads to discounts on future games. Why can't Valve do that? Because they're greedy twats.

But yes, I would imagine the hefty savings they made by leaving steam has contributed to them making more games faster than any one else. And they're not bad to boot.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't mind multiple distribution platforms - I think competition is usually good - But I don't see Steam ever changing much. It's also the only one that I let launch with Windows, since most of my 'I think I'll play..' games are on Steam. And Origin doesn't take an age to launch anyway. I think the vastness of most peoples Steam libraries will keep it around in its current format for quite some time.

OT: Mortal Engines (the book) because the film was interesting enough to make me want to read it.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Steam posted a reply and apparently all pre-orders will be transferred.

Also, Steam is greedy, bit I saw an overview in another thread around here somewhere with percentages the stores keep. The big ones are close but not equal (yet).

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm tight anyway and rarely buy things straight away.

It'll be on Steam on Valentines Day 2020 so if I haven't got it by then i'll treat myself. :)

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That would be me:
    Apparently, though, the 95/5 deep-link split for non-gaming applications hasn't actually gone live on the Microsoft Store, despite Microsoft promising it'll happen Real Soon Now(TM).

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

On the subject of multiple game stores, Twitch give 5 free games per month to subscribers, that can only be installed via their desktop app.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Unfortunately in order to compete the stores are choosing to compete in ways that solely benefit the game publishers (the only one that has ever done anything more consumer friendly in order to compete is gog with the no DRM policy).
    So as gamers we are left even worse in the dust than before due to all the fragmentation.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ahem: Itch.io:
    • Allows content creators to set their own revenue split, from 100:0 to 0:100, with an industry-leading default of 90:10 in the developer's favour.
    • Allows content creators to list games, software, music, comics, books, whatever, free of charge and sell it or make it free to download.
    • Allows content creators to list games DRM-free (and most do).
    • Allows content creators to provide Steam keys for Itch.io purchases, if they want to (and a lot do.)
    All of those, while primarily aimed at content creators, are also positives for content consumers: being able to set a custom revenue split means that content creators can charge less and still turn a profit, as does being able to list things without paying a fee; DRM-free is obviously a plus; and giving consumers Steam keys as well as Itch.io downloads offers 'em the best of both worlds.

Don't get me wrong, GOG is doing Good Stuff, but it's also on a 70/30 fixed split with no sign of changing any time soon - which means that if a game is listed on both GOG and Itch.io, it'll likely be 20% cheaper on Itch.io and might come with a Steam key to boot.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

To be honest, I think we gamers are a spoilt bunch - But at the same time, talent seems to be departing big companies for little ones as it does from time to time, so the distribution platform is more important to the new smaller developer than it is to us. It costs us nothing to have an account at the distributor of the developers choice.

Eh. It's a complex issue and presently I'm meant to be learning German.

Although mostly at the moment it's listening to people speak..

14. adidan

No we're not!

MMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

TheMadDutchDude and liratheal like this.
  15. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Few more homebre supplies.

1x Bottle of Star San - Want to go with no rise sanitisers going forward just seem like an easier way to do things
    1x Tub of Bentonite
    1x tub of Irish moss.

Getting ready to do a large batch of Cyser soon using home pressed apple juice from my parents small far so want to make sure it clears nicely huce both bento and moss for clearing. Will need to get 30 or so bottles at some point but have a few months before then at least.

16. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

adidan likes this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

New tyres (at the weekend - Bridgestone BT023 "Battleax")

[​IMG]

New lid (HJC IS-17)

[​IMG]

New waterproof gloves (Spada Blizzard 2)

[​IMG]

"I'll get a motorbike instead of us getting a second car", he says. "It'll be cheaper than running a second car - fuel & maintenance costs should be bugger all", he says. 5 punctures, new front brake bracket (plus related gubbins & labour), new set of tyres, new lid, two new pairs of gloves, new pair of trousers.... all in the last year.

Let's hope this lid fits this time. My trusty old Shark S900 Dual is starting to get on my nerves now; it's getting harder and harder to find replacement visors & pinlock inserts, and the pinlock inserts fail every time. Plus this HJC does have a couple of dedicated bluetooth systems available.

And my current winter gloves... they've definitely seen better days.

Yaka likes this.
  18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Bit of a payday splurge:
    2x supermicro snk-p0022+
    [​IMG]

3x Thermalright HR-09 Type 4
    [​IMG]
    Heatsinks for future shenanigans :naughty:

EK EK-CryoFuel Clear 1ltr
    [​IMG]

EK DuraClear 3M Clear iTubing
    [​IMG]

Watercool Heatkiller IV CPU backplate
    [​IMG]
    Was out of stock when upgrading last year, finally got round to ordering one.

Zotac 980Ti Amp! (Actually a free hand-me-down off my bro)
    [​IMG]

Watercool Heatkiller IV eBC - Backplate
    [​IMG]

Watercool Heatkiller IV XL for GTX 980 Ti
    [​IMG]
    Only that picture link is broken on purpose, because there just isn't a picture of the block I'm getting, because they've never previously made the block that I'm getting :eyebrow:

Yaka, adidan and Vault-Tec like this.
  19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Corsair Commander Pro, from Amazon Warehouse, which is faulty, so it's going back to Amazon Warehouse :thumb:
    So, 5 out of 6 fan headers work, thankfully for now i only have 4 fans, but that's beside the point, I have NO control over the fans, in iCue or Corsair Link, BUT, the good thing is, ALL fans are running at 450rpm or 800rpm (120/140mm) so it's dead quiet which is what i wanted, woo.

As an extra, i've also bought:
    A Cherry Tree
    Plant Pot
    Orchid Compost
    Watering Can
    Climbing Fushia
    Some small Crocus (Small flowers)

Sam

20. adidan

Lucky bugger.

The only hand-me-downs I got off my brother were badly fitting clothes and a need to compete at everything.

The_Crapman likes this.