1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Anthem

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by damien c, 12 Jun 2017.

1. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Played it for an hour or so yesterday, went in with little or not hype and came out thinking it was ok, not amazing but ok.

Hex likes this.
  2. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I just loaded up and got into my exosuit, the game seemed to hang on mission launch. Glad this thread exists to find out the game just takes a millennia to load:).

3. MrRobot

MrRobot What's a Dremel?

It looks really cool!!

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Played a bit of the demo earlier. Seems to be a mix of Destiny, ME: Andromeda and Warframe.

Overall impressions are good but I haven't done any real reading into what the full game will offer content wise.

Performance could do with a bit of optimisation though. Need to run the 1080Ti on my 8700k machine to see if it was being held back by the 5930k (3.75Ghz) in my test bench. GPU usage was maxed during gameplay and the CPU was loaded 50-70% across all 12 threads so it shouldn't be held back much (1440p Ultra preset).

5. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

That's actually weirdly the opposite of what most people in the discords I'm in have been saying. I can't really comment on it too much as I'm stuck on a 2700k and a 780 Ti so I had to play with everything set to Low/Off anyway. I was surprised it even ran on my PC but it was very jittery, in the hub especially. I assume because there were 15 million NPCs in there even though you couldn't talk to most of them in the demo.

I played for a little bit last night (about an hour), would've hoped for longer but I had a big download to do before today so wasn't able to. I'll try again tonight but on Xbox I think. See what it's like on that. I was right though, I do not like it at all. I hate 3rd person anyway, it feels awkward to me for shooters and I can't aim in that view at all. I hate the feel of the gunplay and the movement. But I never played ME and my friend who did is praising the gunplay and movement so, I don't know. It's just not my thing I think. It's making me appreciate Destiny even more honestly :hehe: Actually the only thing I enjoyed was the animation coming from swimming into flying. Now that was actually really cool!

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

When you say opposite how do you mean? Sorry was up really late last night so my brain isn’t 100% engaging. Do you possibly mean that I was seeing different results (as in not cpu bottlenecked?).

Going to rerun on my 8700k (hopefully at 5ghz) to see if there is any difference. Just have to get a new mouse first as my existing one lets it fate at 1am when I decided that cable managing and cutting the covering blindly my feel alone was a good idea....

On the anthem front I found it a lot better on controller than keyboard and mouse.

7. Hex

Yeah, everyone was saying it didn't max their GPU at all, but CPU was maxed.

Yes, this. Definitely this. Also the screenshake and whatnot gave me motion sickness and sitting back from the screen with a controller helped. Apparently this is common and the game will have a slider for screenshake. No idea if that will be at launch or a later patch though.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

At got you. Yeah on my test bench system at least my 1080ti was running at 98-99% load.

I did read though that performance was all over the place for some people. My friend was netting 41fps constant on his overclocked Vega64 at 1080p...(with 1800x at 4ghz),

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I used to love Battlefield 2142. I loved Destiny 2 although I severely resented that Forsaken cost as much as the original game cost and wasn't included in the already expensive season pass which didn't really deliver any significant amount of content. I definitly think that Sci-Fi settings have been missing big investment and love in recent years. Having said that, this is coming from EA. The release price is EXPENSIVE. And there's probably going to be some inherent lack of value or scam in it somewhere.

I think I'll wait to see how they monetise it - and maybe wait 6 months for the price to drop a bit - before I dip my toe.

10. Hex

I think waiting on it is really wise, unless you absolutely loved the demo and can't get enough I suppose. The big thing with these games is player retention. If the end-game is dull and they don't tweak things and/or release lots of content, people will drop off in large numbers. I think I'll be looking at where it is 6 months or so down the line. Are my friends still playing it? Has it improved enough for me to want to play it? Etc.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Quoting myself as I have now run the demo on my 8700k system (4.4Ghz all core for reference vs 4.25 on the 5930k).

Same load on the 1080ti and what felt like the same framerate. I haven't actually benchmarked in Fraps but if there is a difference I couldn't tell in game.

On the same my wife has been messing around with the demo on her machine (2700x @ 4Ghz all core / 1060 6GB stock) and it runs nicely at 1080p all settings High. Seems to run at between 50 and 60 FPS with the odd drop down to ~45 in very heavy gunfights. Might see if any settings can be tweaked down a bit to get to ~60 more of the time.

12. Hex

I read that as 2700k, not x, first and thought "How?! That's what I have and there's no way I could run it on high!" Then realised it'll be the R7 :duh:

I played for a while on Xbox and it was better for me in a lot of ways. Even when the frame rate fluctuates only slightly it's enough to make it feel wrong and I could not get it steady at all on my PC. Also, with the same starting gear, aim assist did not appear to be as strong on Xbox as it was on PC with a controller. Some of my grenades actually missed on Xbox which I didn't realise could even happen! It didn't pull my controller all over the place when shooting the flying things either, which is usually why I switch aim assist off. I'm better without it.

Wandered around the hub and spoke to more NPCs this time too as I wasn't rushing to try and level up. I still have issues with mouths in video games, they seem to always have waaaaaay too many teeth! They've spent so long making eyes look natural (OK, some NPCs still don't blink and it's freaky), but I will watch people's mouths on TV/film/games not their eyes. (It's a hearing thing, my hearing is super duper good which means when there's background noise I hear it so clearly that it's very distracting to me). The little 'story' bits were nice enough. I knew what I told the bartender to do was wrong, but I couldn't help myself :hehe:

Now the gameplay: there's one really big thing that I already knew about, but didn't experience on PC (I didn't die at all on PC...). When you die/are downed. You. Cannot. Do. Anything. You can't even spectate. You just sit and wait for it to countdown or someone to repair you. You can't even try and crawl to safety. That was incredibly frustrating. The visual effects for things didn't always work either, so sometimes after using melee I wasn't sure I was going to get a combo and others I didn't know if I was stuck in scenery or if I'd been frozen as I didn't have the visual confirmation.

The vanishing mobs need mentioning too. OMG that drove me nuts. It happened on both PC and Xbox, so I imagine it's happening on PS4 as well. It happened A LOT.

Very interested to see what they fix/change and how long they take to do it.

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well I have just been playing the demo for a little while.

Performance wise:

1080p Ultra Preset
    GPU Usage: 80% - 90%
    Vram Usage: 3.5G
    CPU Usage: 70% to 80%
    RAM Usage: 7.5G to 9G

Custom Ultra for everything other than AA, Ambient Occlusion, Post Processing Quality (LOW)
    GPU Usage: 70& to 80%
    Vram Usage: 3.2G
    CPU Usage: 60% to 75%

Custom High for everything other than AA, Ambient Occlusion, Post Processing Quality (LOW)
    GPU Usage: 60& to 70%
    Vram Usage: 3.2G
    CPU Usage: 60% to 75%

Spec's

7700K @ 4.5Ghz
    32Gb 2400Mhz
    MSI GTX1080Ti

Frame rate was varying from 90 to 140 regardless of settings although at 1080p Ultra Preset the frame rates dropped to 65fps at one time, hopefully when it's released with proper drivers etc it will better utilize the hardware.

14. Hex

I got stuck with the "you're level 11 for the rest of your life" bug which was very frustrating. Every expedition/mission it said I'd levelled up to 12 and then would show 0 and drop me to 11 again. Apparently you have to restart and do a mission to fix it. But I don't have any left... Stronghold then? OK, but I can't do that because with randoms we never even finish the first part before everyone dies so many times they quit. So I never got to get past levelling a whole one time, which sucked. I'm glad I'm not buying this, but I had hoped to play loads of this demo. What a waste of my time, I haven't shouted at a game like this in years!

15. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I wasn't watching the CPU usage when I was playing, but my GPU was pegged at 97 to 99% load. I was sitting between 80 and 110 FPS most of the time at 1440P on the ultra preset.

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I found it fairly underwhelming, I did get hit with a respawning bug (I think), where when downed it counted down to respawn time and then just hung there until someone came and revived me, would not auto re-spawn at all.

Hex likes this.
  17. Hex

I'll be honest I didn't know if that was a bug or how it was meant to be. I don't like the downed situation at all. There's a reason other games let you spectate in that state. I couldn't even see the HUD so didn't know if my team-mates were completing objectives.

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I think it was a bug, I'd been revived once while the countdown was ongoing (you never know, that might have been a bug), and I think it did respawn on it's own once. but most of the time your just left to twiddle your thumbs while waiting for someone to spot you need help. (for Info, the quest was killing that big robot that was kiddnapping people).

19. Hex

I don't actually remember what any of the missions were (that's probably not a good sign!) I paid attention to dialogue in the Fort, but it was just background noise on Expeditions/Strongholds. I don't think you could respawn when doing the Strongholds, I think you have to be revived in certain areas and that was frustrating. I did respawn myself a few times when trying to solo world events and being teleported back to the spawn point made me pretty mad when I'd spent a long time exploring to get to that area and so often didn't bother going back because I probably wouldn't find it again anyway.

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ran the Tyrant Mine a few times last night before getting hit with severe server lag (or at least what felt like it) and calling it quits.

Had a good bit of fun chaining combos and working as a team (in a couple of the groups that knew what to do).

Framerate in the boss room however was atrocious. When it did its "Webb" attack I saw low 30's (8700K / 1080Ti @ 1440p Ultra) with the rest of the fight bumbling along at 45-65ish FPS. My friend was getting the same albeit at 1080p on his 1800X (4Ghz)/Vega 64 setup.