1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs It's time for a change of motherboard aesthetics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 Jan 2019.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I mean, you could tell us with words, if you felt like it.

Also black isn't cheaper, PCB isn't black. I'm not 100% sure that was what you were saying but in case it was, it isn't. If that wasn't what you were saying, disregard.

Dammit, one day back and I'm already being a snarky douche to people on the forums. I promised myself it'd be different this year. I'm sorry, it's an automatic response to being in here.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I like all black. It works with anything, and allows you to show off other hardware that cost significantly more. IMO.

When I did my latest build I did so with two "colours" in mind (some would argue black is not a colour so I put in " for the pedants). Black and grey. "Colours" that never grow old. I then added a splash of red (mostly because that is what colour WC fittings I already had) and then went mad with RGB now that it is a bit more affordable.

That said I've been on RGB since 2010 when I got my first Alienware Aurora R2. So it already got old and stopped getting used many years ago. What I did like was how Alienware had drivers for some games to make the case interact with the game, but never really tell you about it so you just think your case is broken before it finally dawns on you several years later what was going on.....

As I said about RGB "You can turn it off". You can't easily change big honking red NB coolers and so on.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I like modern streamlined colour-neutral motherboards because it makes it easy to spot and grab the screws I drop on them while building.

jb0 likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I honestly can't remember what colour mine is as it's hidden in the case.

Guess that really says i'm well overdue an upgrade :)

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

To be honest, I’d want to see a “Noctua edition” motherboard.. So brown PCB, connectors being that sandy brown the Sabretooth x58 had. Would be interesting to see how a Fully noctua themed build would look like..

Arboreal, Dr. Coin and wolfticket like this.
  6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Pro marketing.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Got a Maximus Hero VII here. The black PCB and the red & black plastic/rgb go together very tastfully I think. I personally don't miss the puke-coloured days at all. I do agree that vrms need proper heatsinks, but I dont see why we cant have both.

To me black or white mobos can go with anything. What I would like is the ability to turn those lights off when the PC is off. My mobo lights stay on, and so does the BRIGHT WHITE power led on my GPU. My PC is in the same room that I sleep in so I have to put my computer to "sleep" like a budgie every night (blanket over the chassie like a bird-cage).

Seriously? Why do they think we want the lights on when the pc is off?! Windowed cases are all well and good, unless you sleep in the same room. Then they are a nightmare.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

EDIT: Deleted for reasons of ugliness, and achieving it's purpose of baiting the render below into existence :happy:

Attached Files:

Last edited: 27 Jan 2019
  9. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I don't know what's worse, that I rendered this for you or that it looks half decent

X99 Noctua Edition.jpg

jb0, edzieba, Mr_Mistoffelees and 3 others like this.
  10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That looks niiiice.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'll take two, please.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup 70s tastic

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That will make Noctua very happy :lol:. Coffee 'n' cream master race Cheesecake!

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Switch it to AM4 and X470 and I'll take one too.

15. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Ok, maybe the brown PCB is a sh.. Well, not the best of ideas! But that render Maki did looks awesome imo!

16. Gomfs

Gomfs What's a Dremel?

Noctua card.... Give AM4 and i'm sold on that.

else there is a lack of pure white motherboards today (and most trough history...) and the same with use of copper and\or fins, just big chunky alu heatsinks with powderblasted finish.
    an modern take on the cooling from MSI P35 Platinium on an pure white PCB with white PCIe and RAM-slots and maybe nickel-treated heatsinks so the "anti-colour, use RGB"-mob is satisfied would been a instant sell for me.

17. creative

creative 500rwhp

Lol... Whinging about the colours, whinging about noctua poopy brown

Render of noctua colours on a mobo

"Take my money"

Personally I love the fact we can now have variety in what we can build. I have a case with no window but still went a coloured theme inside.

If we all liked the same thing, the world would be a very boring place.

18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Bah, bring back beige cases!

Tags: Add Tags