1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel launches 28-core Xeon W-3175X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ugh: that's a hell of a typo to have in both the lede and the headline. Is it Friday yet?

4. Mister_Tad

It's okay... you should have just rolled with it... yeah, the 3785X, it's the even beefier one.

Looks a beast, and I want one, but I'm holding out until Intel launch their dual-socket capable "enthusiast" processor before I build an unnecessary and pointless 56+ core rig to browse the internet.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2019
  5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Oh boy. $1200 more than Threadripper and less cores, and consumes a hell of a lot more power. Good job, Intel. :D

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yesterday, Linus Sebastian admitted to dropping & damaging one of these, killing a memory channel.:duh:
    He then attempted to fix it with epoxy & a clamp. :dremel:

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...why does that say "this $10,000 CPU," when its per-unit tray-quantity pricing is $2,999?

8. Mister_Tad

Because that's a Xeon 8180, which is a $10k CPU, and not a 3175X

9. Gareth Halfacree

So he didn't admit to dropping and damaging one of these, but a completely different and even-more-expensive chip. Got it.

...remind me why people go to this guy for technology advice?

10. Mister_Tad

Close. A completely similar and more expensive chip. Under the covers it's pretty much the same CPU with lower clocks and a locked multi, but most importantly, 3x UPI links.

I think LTT might be my favourite tech channel on YouTube precisely because of things like that.

11. Gareth Halfacree

I have to be honest, I don't watch stuff on YouTube.

Oh, don't get me wrong: I'll watch a film trailer, or a music video, or Man Gets Hit in Groin by Football, or what have you. But I don't subscribe to any channels, 'cos I just don't have time. I can digest the same information that's in a half-hour video by some 'erbert in about two minutes if it's written down, and I don't have to sit through all the "whaddup gang it's your boy here," "mash that like and subscribe button," and bizarre music choices.

Yes, yes, I'm old. I know.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. Mister_Tad

I'm pretty sure we're aroundabout the same age.

I'm clearly just more down with the kids (said nobody ever that's actually down with the kids)

13. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, but I've been old since I was born.
    [​IMG]

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

An overlocked chip consumes more power than a stock-clocked chip? What a shock!
    Watching LTT for tech advice is like watching Top Gear to help pick your next family econobox.
    LTT has a similar mix of technically competent people hamming up incompetence for entertainment. It's of a more clickbaity flavour than Top Gear due to the format, but it's a similar concept.

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I find it refreshing that he's willing to admit he screwed up in such an expensive way. OK, so he almost certainly doesn't have to pay for it... but accidents happen. They've happened to me and I'd be lying if I said they hadn't. That said, I've never managed to damage a ten grand CPU by dropping it...

I don't watch LTT simply because I'd rather read words than listen to someone waffle. Words I can skim, if doing the same with audio it's easy to miss "the critical bit".

My YouTube consumption has increased in the last two years from near zero to... slight more than near zero. Normally it's watching someone cover a song a like so I can get ideas for how best to adapt a bit I can't do well enough.

...and me. I remember a fair amount of things my year-mates at school liked, and wondering, "What the flying monkey fook are you guys and girls ingesting/smoking/injecting (delete as appropriate) to find that funny/interesting/beguiling (delete as appropriate)?"

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Where did I mention anything about overclocking in my statement? Riiiiiight. NOWHERE!

You’re such a troll.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My bad. I heard him say Xeon and missed the rest.

Only had it on because I needed something to watch over this morning's bowl of wheaties.

I will admit to subscribing to some youtube channels for... reasons

Tested (Because Adam Savage)
    Bad Obsession Motorsport (Because Binky) Also subscribed on Patreon
    Clickspring (Because epic-level skills at hand machining the Antikythera mechanism)
    SpaceX (Because ROCKETS!)
    Colin Furze (Because ROCKETS! ...and other assorted mayhem)

18. MHzTweaker

MHzTweaker What's a Dremel?

Intel certainly has gone to GREAT lengths to attain bragging rights.

I'm sure there are at least 12 people/companies out there with deep pockets that will buy this behemoth.

At $3k for the CPU and another $1800 for the motherboard I will not be one of them. No problem Intel, knock yourself out.

I have a lot of Intel CPU based rigs here: 3930K, 5930K, 4790K, 6700K, 7700K, 8700K, 9900K, Xeons... but I now also have an AMD Ryzen 1700 and a TR 2950X rig. AMD was finally able to innovate after a long dance with mediocrity. Hopefully Intel can do the same. I have not been impressed with Intel's 5-10% IPC generational gains over the last several years.

This feels more like a publicity stunt than a product release. I'm not buying it and due to costs not many will be. Keep in mind AMD likely already has an newer 7nm EPYC derived product that will ship in the next 6 months making this somewhat pointless.

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you're not already dumping several grand on the top-end 'consumer' HEDT CPUs - or were buying Haswell or earlier E5 1xxx series Xeons for the unlocked multipliers - then this product is already not aimed at you. In the same way as the Honda NSX is not aimed at Accord buyers.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While a 32 core Ripper (3950x or whatever they end up calling it) is pretty much guaranteed to appear at some point, do keep in mind that Intel has a 48 core Xeon in the pipeline, so if and when AMD brings the heat Intel can easily strike back if they choose to do so.

Tags: Add Tags