1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The 3D Printing Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SkiDave, 6 Jun 2015.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, that might be tricky - there isn't anywhere you can easily split that into sections as there's a lot of detail... Do you have a finished model that you want to print? If not that'll be your first step - taking that design and turning it into a printable model.

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Ordered one through eBay in the end as it was £40 cheaper, delivered yesterday but sadly I’m working away until tomorrow so haven’t had chance to have a play.

Hopefully the bed will be level otherwise I can just pick up an aftermarket one.

Also ordered some of the dampers, 2 rolls of filament and some TL smoother chips

Any other worth while upgrades before I put it together?
    Also is sticking spray stuff a worth while investment?

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Surprising it sat in my basement for four months before I got to trying out my birthday present to myself.
    Picked up a Prusa i3 MK3. Besides running the standard set of calibration and some of the included test print files these are the first items printed.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two prints, on the left the figure was print on its back and the one on the right was printed upright. Only cleanup so far has been removal of supports. I was surprised to see how iridescent the silver PLA is (free spool that my printer shipped with). I add the third image to prove that the two figures are printed in the same material/colour. Ignore the eraser helping prop the right figure up in the third image, couldn't find the balancing sweat spot.

Yaka and MLyons like this.
  4. 1pq-Lamz

1pq-Lamz What's a Dremel?

I have made a few 3D printed pump cover using a resin 3D printer. Slight problem with tapping screw holes, but works fine so far.
    IMG_20190420_204919.jpg
    IMG_20190426_123413.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 20 May 2019
    Goatee and Byron C like this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Looks neat :thumb:. What issues are you having with tapping screw threads?

6. 1pq-Lamz

Resin is very brittle in general, thread often get stripped when tapping. Haven't tried having the thread modelled in, but the screw holes are the weak point none the less.

7. Pretizx

Pretizx What's a Dremel?

wow great quality with resin!

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Have you considered threaded inserts instead of trying to tap the resin?

[​IMG]

9. 1pq-Lamz

Not too sure if this works with resin, resin's melting temperature is a lot higher than PLA, so heating it to push the insert in might be difficult.
    And again, resin is very brittle, so these insert might not even stay in place under pressure.

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I don’t know the design tool you are using but I used to have a plug in that would put threaded holes in sketch up. Was awesome and worked really well at least in PLA.

Called xxxx fasteners and fixings I think, where xxxx was a name I can’t remember.

11. hayate89

hayate89 What's a Dremel?

the feels with my anet a8 <3

12. 1pq-Lamz

Haven't tried printing the thread as I worry slight discrepancy may exist and the screw wontw fit/ too loose. Considering the material cost if printing one pump top like that is like $30, can't afford to take any risks. Definitely will test it out soon.

13. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Picked up a Creality Ender 3 last week, spent about 4 hours building it whilst off sick on Friday, couldn't work out why the Z axis wouldn't move, a quick survey of the wiring revealed I hadn't put the right plug in. Just need to re-level the bed, then hopefully it'll be off to the races.

14. Sa mod pc design

Sa mod pc design Minimodder

To start what model would you recommend?

15. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

16. lord

lord What's a Dremel?

Hi David!

I do not know if this is still relevant, but I want to share with you my experience. Maybe it will help other forum users to choose the right 3D printer, especially if they chouse between A8 and A6...

The A8 was my first 3d printer, not sure if this was the right choice for a first-time purchase, but I certainly learned a lot. If you have some budget to spare, I would probably consider buying the A6 or a ready-to-use 3D printer.

Both are DIY kits and it will take time to assemble and get them to work. I know of many people who changed 15-30% of Anet’s original components to get them to work (and to make sure they won’t go on fire). Personally, I didn’t encounter such significant issues. In addition to the printer, I purchased a glass bed, a set of nozzles, fans as well as a set of spare bearings and belts. (Didn’t have to use the spare parts yet).

Anet A8 is more popular and has a large number of useful mods & upgrades. It also has a larger build volume, but that’s probably where its advantages are ending. The A6 is sturdier, has an improved motherboard, a more convenient control system and a faster hotbed. My friend’s Anet A6 prints at the same quality that my upgraded Anet A8 does.

Here’s a good comparative review of both with a video on how the two are assembled. Maybe this will help someone to make the right decision.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, that was two years ago, bud. I'd imagine even the kits have moved on considerably from the A8 I bought and still own.

However, I have few if any complaints about the A8 - it has served it's purpose, and was worth the money for the knowledge I gained assembling/updating it.

Byron C likes this.
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

19. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git