1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics not showing for me in opera

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by spolsh, 14 Jan 2019.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got a boxed copy of AWeb around here, somewhere...
    Entirely possible - but whatever network ****ery may be causing it, it's categorically not related to ISP filters (which would exhibit the same effects across browsers and devices, which is not what we're seeing) and can't be fixed by switching DNS servers ('cos I've already done that and it ain't fixed.)

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I can't replicate the issue using Cloudflare's DNS on any of my devices. I'm using US Verizon however (and AT&T on mobile).

Don't rule out that your providers could be doing a 1on1 NAT for common DNS providers (Google, Cloudflare, etc) to their own. Or a NAPT on utp/53.

Not Gareth's case though, he's using a VPN.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They're not - I can prove it by using DNS-over-HTTPS/TLS. Also, the symptoms persist on a VPN connection, which my ISPs *cryptographically* aren't fiddling with.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I actually found that it wasn't quite that simple. The imgur app, for example, displayed images whereas forum-embedded images weren't displayed - Same router, same settings.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Here's an interesting twist: the coconut crab image that won't load on my mobile is this:

Code:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/IofOgM0_Y79Hot-R_Cbs7DoB9Qc=/660x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/giant-coconut-crab-57bbf0cc3df78c8763928673.jpg
    Look at the URL: the filename might end in .jpg, but that's a WebP. Could be confusing Firefox for Android, though why Firefox for Desktops is fine with it I don't know. Wonder what those other broken images look like... <goes to see>

EDIT: Well, the images in the linked build log thread aren't normal either:
    Code:
    http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj583/ianovski/Bitfenix%20Shadow/bitfenix_zpsf5302fbb.jpg~original
    If you visit that outside it being embedded, it actually takes you to a .html page with all the album's images in it. Hmm... I wonder if my mobile browser is doing something weird that's causing these servers to return non-image content - like stripping out certain parts of the URL for anti-tracking purposes? More experimentation needed!

Last edited: 16 Jan 2019
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Nope: disabled absolutely every privacy protection going, and still no pictures.

Could someone try installing a clean Firefox for Android and visit this thread, see if the pictures show?

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

problem solved, The site forces HTTPS resources and those aren't

they don't load for me either

So on that thread when I go to the images they don't exist. It is a thread from 2014 to be fair. That crab image also doesn't load on firefox although it is a weird link.

8. Gareth Halfacree

They seem to exist for me, but Photobucket gives me an album page rather than the raw image if I try to load the picture manually:

upload_2019-1-16_20-31-10.png

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

So, I've tried this on various permutations of web connection (none BT or Vodafone), VPNs, devices, all sorts. It showed up on my 'phone in Safari on Vodafone 4G, but nowhere else I don't think. It's certainly an odd one...

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I right click>view image in Firefox on the failed to load tags on the crab image in the original thread I get this error:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Although that image doesn't seem to work anywhere, even when downloaded.

I noticed that the actual URLs of the images on this page: https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/bitfenix-inspired-by-nature-final-pictures.276755/ , that are not loading in some situations, have "~original" appended to them. Adding that manually in Firefox seems to break the loading of some images at least (?).

11. Gareth Halfacree

Works fine here on the desktop and the laptop, but not the mobile - and they're all running Firefox. Straaaaaaaange!

12. Gareth Halfacree

To add to this, that build log thread: in Firefox, all the images are showing as bare tags with no image; in Chrome, most are showing as bare tags with a broken image placeholder next to it... but some images are loading fine. Not only are we talking about the same connection here, we're talking the same machine - only the browser differs.

There's clearly summat going on there, and it looks like Chrome is less susceptible than Firefox.

EDIT:
    Except that, having loaded the thread in Chrome, Firefox is now showing the same images - and missing the same images - as Chrome is, whereas before I did that all the images were broken. What the chuff?!

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Is it possible Photobucket is hitting some sort of rate limit for hot linked images? At this point I'm really struggling to work out what could be causing it and if it's something we can do anything about.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Could be: we already know that those image links to the "original" images are nothing of the sort, and the crab picture is explained by it claiming to be JPEG but actually being WebP (though why Real Firefox is happy with that and Mobile Firefox is having none of it is a mystery.)

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's probably nothing but i was looking through the web developer tools in PaleMoon yesterday and something stuck out to me with that crab image, it seems to be using HTTP/2, like i said it's probably nothing but i thought it worth mentioning even though i know nothing about web development.

16. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Well I revisited the bitfenix mod thread (after noticing that - hey, pics seem to be working much better) ... and it's working.

So, DevDoge thank you for taking the time/effort to fix this - if it wasn't you then all hail the hypnotoad.