1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

The Night Comes For US Brutal/10 if any of you gives liked the john wick series or the raid then this ones for you, prolly the best foreign netflix action movie. no one is spared in this movie but the guy that plays white bobby steals the show, you end up really feeling for him.
    saddest part of the film its scene in the flat with the group of friends

mowgli 7/10 slightly more grwon up version than disneys live action take. top voice acting worth watching if you liked the books and the disney films but dont expect a song and dance to be in the movie

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse Step 5, re-evaluate my biases/10

How on earth did the company who's last three attempts at a Spiderman movie were Spiderman 3 and The Amazing Spiderman 1-2 come out with this?
    Not surprised it's been cleaning up awards, loved it.

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

John Wick 2 -- Meh/10

it's not as compelling as the first, nor as good overall. enjoyed the OTT action for the most part but my heart wasn't really in it.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Godzilla-City on the Edge of Battle: wtfbbq/10.

It's a CGI Godzilla. That's about all I can say. It's the setup for the next movie,

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Solo
    Kill it with fire / 10, then string Micky, Pluto and the whole gang up by their short n curlies just to be sure

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Stan & Ollie - 8/10

3-word review:- "It honours them"

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Upgrade [I can't let you do that dave/10]

Really enjoyed this, I thought I'd Spotted the twist early on, and was right, but then got hit by another that I wasn't expecting.

LennyRhys likes this.
  8. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

The Terror
    After having finished playing Return of the Obra Dinn, I felt in the mood for more naval disaster stories, so I binged this over a few days.
    It's pretty good. They definitely got the atmosphere of dread right. Having looked up more about the real story of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror's doomed expedition to find a Northern Passage afterwards it's also cool to see how closely they follow real events, or at least the things we've managed to find out.
    I liked how some the characters' personality changes over the course of the series (10 episodes spanning 3 years), though they mostly tend to resolve to various shades of good/bad in the end.
    What really stands out is the cruelty, not just visually (there is quite a bit of gore, well done too), but narratively. Several of the deaths are clearly set up to be gut punches to the audience. One in particular really hit me.

Yeah, it's good. One of the better TV series I've seen in a while.

LennyRhys likes this.
  9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

The Nutcracker & the four realms 4/10 pretty meh fairytale effort from disney

The Grinch 6/10 okish cartoon film has the odd funny bits but the kids enjoyed it

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Figured I'd give it a bash - actually enjoyed it. Felt quite derivative at first but it picks up quickly and it's pretty decent for scifi (read: there are a lot of sh!t scifi movies).

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Mortal Engines - 7/10

Was it great? It was entertaining enough that I bought the book, which doesn't happen much. Thus far, the book and the film aren't that divergent.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Schindler's List 10/10

Powerful film, and the visuals are incredible. Really heart-wrenching stuff. It's been on my to-watch list for a while now, and I'm keen to learn more about the story behind the film.

13. fix-the-spade

They Shall Not Grow Old - The iPlayer algorithm is sentient and it thinks it's funny/10

Seriously, after the credits rolled it autoplayed Bing from Ceebeebies, way to spoil the moment.

Film itself was great, it goes on the list with The World at War as documentary all about how war is in fact pretty awful.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2019
    Yaka likes this.
  14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Reign of the Supermen 8/10 continuation of the death of superman animated film. its actually a much better film.

The Foreigner 8/10 was not expecting this to be good, the trailers had jackie chan looking like a miserable git made me not want to watch it. pretty well made film which kinda leaves space for a sequel. and old JC did a good job at a serious role but i really wish he would do a really hilarious OTT slapstick kungfu film like is 80s films

15. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Сталкер/Stalker (restored version by the benevolent gods at Criterion) 10/10
    I managed to completely steer clear of reviews and spoilers, and having never watched a Tarkovsky film before I didn't know what to expect. It blew me away.
    This movie is so good that I kind of regret the superlatives in some of my other review-thingies in this thread.

For many reasons I'm sure this is a divisive one. It's slow, artsy, (almost) obnoxiously contemplative,... and I won't dispute any of that. All can say is that for me and my very specfic tastes, Stalker is a work of genius and after a single watch already one of my favorite films of all time.

16. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

White House Down 6/10 felt watching a no brainer action flick, its ok not really anything new if you have already watched die hard flicks.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Bad Times at the El Royale 7.5/10

I think this is the first time I've ever awarded a half-point, and I'm making an exception for this movie. It's good... very good... but it's also a bit frustrating at times.

There is, however, one "bad" thing about the movie, and that is Chris Hemsworth. It's basically his disrobed anatomy in place of an actual acting role. Definitely getting tired of it now.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot - 5/10

..What the **** did I just watch?

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Kung Fu Yoga - 3/10
    What the heck? Some of the worst CGI in a long time,constant mentioning of superior chinese technology, and only one fight in the "funny" Jacky Chan style.

20. fix-the-spade

Stan and Ollie - I'm not crying, you're crying/10

Not what I was expecting, but very well made all the same.

Funded and produced by Taihe Entertainment group, China's largest 'independant' music publisher and distributor. Frankly I'm surprised they funded something starring Hong Kong native Jackie Chan at all.