1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Make your own o-rings

Discussion in 'Modding' started by LePhuronn, 11 Feb 2019.

1. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Hey.

I've gotten so excited about designing and making my custom DDC pump top I totally forgot about the o-rings.

I presume Nitrile is what we use in watercooling kits, but how do you make them? Adhesives, how to cut, how to bond, etc.

Educate a noob here, look forward to your responses.

Cheers.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I prefer silicone cord stock, since I always have silicone glue handy to bond it with. I think it would work with rubber seals with what we use it for.
    Here's the Imperial selection. I have zero resources on metric, which is probably more available over there. You will need a google search for metric O-ring channel dimensions once you find your material. There should be a datasheet from a metric manufacturer out there.

3. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

My personal advise would be to go to somewhere like simplybearings and find an o-ring to fit. It's always better to use a manufactured o-ring.

You may want to use something like ERIKS o-ring calculator to work out what size groove/o-ring you need (you don't want to over or under compress an o-ring)

Kits are great for getting you out of a sticky situation. Making your own can be a pain. Some o-ring kits come with a little cutting guide, the idea being that you cut each end at an angle to ensure you have a large surface area for gluing. Most kits come with a 'o-ring' glue, which is basically just CA.

If you have a steady hand, sharp blade, some CA and a good eye for cutting angles, you can do it freehand. I've made o-rings like that out of 1.5mm dia nitrite.

BA_13 and Big Elf like this.
  4. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Having worked as a Marine engineer where having to make O-rings is a common occurrence I cannot stress strongly enough how right Cobalt6700 is, a correctly sized O-ring is far better especially when having water around expensive electrics.

If you do wish to make your own O-rings you can use a razor blade to cut the rubber string at 90 degrees (normally you use a jig), then rough up the mating faces with emery tape before glueing with regular super glue. After this use the super glue remover you have on the desk pre-opened to unstick your fingers and try again to glue your o-ring together minus your appendages. Once you have successfully made your o-ring remove any excess superglue from the o-ring and then add the waterproofing solution to the glued joint. I've posted a link to a kit for making O-rings below as it's what I've used hundreds of times to stick my fingers together and to various pieces of equipment. It's important to note that the smaller the diameter of the o-ring the harder it is to make especially with thick rubber ie. a o-ring made of 3mm rubber with an outer diameter of 15mm or less will be a pain to make and is more likely to leak / fail than a 3mm rubber o-ring with a diameter of 100mm.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Hydraulic-Seals-O-Rings/Loctite-112-O-Ring-Making-Kit/B00065T1C2

In short buy the correct o-ring / a o-ring kit if at all possible, only fabricate your own if absolutely necessary.

Cheapskate and cobalt6700 like this.
  5. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

:hehe:

Here’s a man who knows!

What’s the waterproofing solution you speak of? Have to be honest - never used that before. All of the o-rings I’ve made have been on low pressure inert gas and water.

6. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Lovely bunch of chaps you lot :rock:

Shortly after posting this I thought it'd be easier to buy the o-rings in. The design has already been made now but I had the foresight to get my channel lengths within hundreds of whole millimetres. So treat that length as my circle circumference, derive diameter and buy o-rings accordingly.

7. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

It comes in the loctite O-ring kits and seems to soften the glue slightly without dissolving it (an observation of mine as I can't find any documentation of what the solution does) allowing it to be compressed and seal properly. Normally superglue sets rock hard and doesn't respond well to being crushed which in an o-ring wouldn't be good. In fairness I have made O-rings for 100 bar+ hydraulic systems without using the waterproofer (in the kits it's always the waterproofer that runs out / goes missing first) and had no issues. Anyway below is a link for the documentation that comes with the O-ring kits for more information.

https://equipment.loctite.com/documentation/Loctite O-ring Splicing Kit.pdf

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I assume you've watched the video we made about making a custom one?

9. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Nope! But I will soon!

Edit: actually yes, I have seen this video, but if it talks about o-rings then I've not watched it in its entirety.

10. HuguesP

HuguesP What's a Dremel?

11. Cheapskate

This man is definitely a pro.

cobalt6700, Arboreal and MLyons like this.
  12. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

After applying a wee bit of logic to the situation, I just bought them in. 2 different sizes, 1 of each, still had to get 2 bags of 10. Typical.

Thanks to all.

13. Cheapskate

That's still better than going to the local hardware store and spending $15 for one.

LePhuronn likes this.