1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I was, most likely, on a very old package. I was with Xilo when they switched to Uno, but kept my unlimited 80/20 that they no longer offered at the time. Then foolishly moved house.

Tbh, if I was looking for broadband in the UK I'd be calling both Uno and Swift (Not advertising as such, but swiftinter.net is their domain, since there's an arseload of swift-named IT stuff..) I'd had positive experiences with both.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If Vodafone goes awry I'll check 'em out - ta!

liratheal likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Change of plan: just had a somewhat panicked phone call from BT, from a staffer who must be desperate to hit quota 'cos they offered me exactly what I have now, no changes at all, still line rental with free weekend calls and Infinity 2 unlimited broadband on an 18 month contract... for £19.99 a month, VAT inclusive.

I'll be having that, then!

liratheal, IanW and MLyons like this.
  4. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I'll be giving them a call this afternoon then.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Completing on the house on Thursday :)

IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Well, that was harder than expected. The original retentions agent said she'd email me the contract in writing before the order actually went live, so I had a guarantee before cancelling the Vodafone order (at which point the pending BT order would become an active order.)

Hour later, no email.

Rang retentions - sorry, the "Loyalty Team" - and explained the situation. He got in touch with the original agent and she said she'd ring me back to discuss it.

No callback.

Rang retentions again, explained again. Turns out that the best the retentions team can do is £21.99 a month, not £19.99 a month. Cue various "I'll have to go speak to my manager"s after I confirmed that they have a recording of the original call in which I entered into a verbal contract on the apparently non-existent deal terms. The poor dude, his day just kept getting worse:

Agent: "Right, I've spoken to my manager and we can do you £19.99 a month for 12 months."
    Me: "The original offer was for 18 months."
    Agent: <goes to speak to manager again> "Right, we can put it in as 12 months and extend it to 18 months once the order's live."
    Me: "Works for me."
    Agent: "So, that's Superfast Fibre 1..."
    Me: "Fibre 2."
    Agent: "Fibre 2 for £19.99 a month!? ...I'll have to speak to my manager again..."

Long story short, I've got an order for 12 months of Fibre 1 at Fibre 2 speeds which will be extended to 18 months for £19.99 a month - and I've got all that in writing.

Sorry, Gary at BT, for wrecking your afternoon and probably sending your KPIs right into the terlet.

IanW, The_Crapman and perplekks45 like this.
  7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Receiving orders with either incorrect or damaged items. Yes, correctly posting in the awesome thread.

1) 2x Airscape containers. I order coffee 1.25kg at a time and ordered a medium (1lb) and a large (1.5lb) to store it. I received 2x medium, honest mistake from the shop and they were really helpful. The reason it's awesome is that I would have rather had two of the medium ones, but didn't think they would be big enough. Before sending one back I checked it out, and turns out they each hold 600g, and a handy part-refund for the mistake on top of it.

2) Free standing kitchen island. Has an end-grain butcher block top and there's a small split in it along one of the edges. I was offered a huge discount to keep it, nearly 50%. It weighs a ton (not a literal ton, but may as well) and has a 16 week lead-time so that may have had something to do with it. One large clamp and some wood glue later, seems to be good as new.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I cancel both my mobile and ISP contract every 12 months. They always call me and offer an outstanding upgrade for less than I paid before. Gotta love customer retention quota.

MLyons likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

I tend to get lazy and leave it. My mobile contract expired some time last year, but after Vodafone had messed me around over something - I forget what - they put a permanent 30% discount on it, so I'm paying £15 a month for unlimited calls, texts, and 6GB of data. Best a new contract could offer me is dropping to 3GB for £13.50 a month or going up to 100GB for £20 a month - which is a *lot* of data for someone who rarely leaves the house...

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I used to do the whole "ooh I might leave" song and dance, and then a bit ago I decided to just call around various service providers and state quite simply that I want it cheaper - I'm not unhappy with the service, I'm not shopping around, I'm probably not going to cancel - I just want to pay less for the same thing.

Every single one of them was surprisingly receptive.

11. perplekks45

That's the best they offer to new and existing customers on their website, I guess? That has almost zero connection to the prices they can offer you in the real world if you decide to cancel your contract.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, but I dunno if they'd better a 30% permanent discount - and I'd hate them to call my bluff.

13. perplekks45

I'd keep quiet, very quiet.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It depends. If I'm happy with the service and there's no increase then I stay.

Otherwise I will so play the 'leaving' game. Mostly insurance.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Moved the last of the bikes and my full sized tool chests to my mother's. My 'friend' let me down, so my mum got her hairdresser's son to help me out. I had to pay, but hey at least it keeps me on my schedule.

It's not all without woe though. His van is tiny, and he could not help me lifting. Those tool chests on wheels are bloody heavy, so now I have a bad back. And, I still only have until Monday to get two of them taken apart so they will fit through the loft hatch.

I shall do that tomorrow. Might have to have a codeine day, as the pain is pretty bad this morning. I still feel awesome though. T minus one month.... Good things next week though. I have to go pick the keys up for the new flat on Monday. Then at 6:45am Tuesday I have to go to the flat with a kettle, everything I need to make coffee and one of my dining chairs to sit on and then wait for Currys to deliver all my nice new stuff (washer, tumbler etc).

Which even though it sounds boring (which it may just be) it is still awesome and still progress. Once that is done? I can just put my feet up for the next month. I will need it. I have surprised even myself. Not had one meltdown yet (I did have one shouting session last week but nothing close to going all out nuclear) and have done everything I need to.

Last thing to do is pack the surround gear (four speakers and a sub) and the router and my PC. I will do that in the last week though, as I still use it all for now.

IanW likes this.
  16. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I've done this for the last two years with Hyperoptic. My contact ends around the time that the Black Friday deals come out. I give them a call, explain that I'm happy with the service but the price is a bit much and they are only too happy to stick me onto the current deal for the next 12 months. Certainly beats my experience of trying to get deals out of Virgin Media previously.

17. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Tinkering with Home Assistant, and just got my first Z-Wave device configured. Light on, Light off.

18. Vault-Tec

Another day of kicking ass and surprising myself. So I am knackered. Like, proper pooped out. I knew that today I had loads to do, and woke up with the manana mentality. Like, I will do it tomorrow (knowing I wouldn't as I have to go out). In the end I phoned Currys and got my delivery time (so that would have been £75 wasted picking a slot) and then put credit on my phone so I can enable mobile data 'cause I'm deaf and blind at this new place without it (washing machine etc is being delivered and installed pre me moving in to save stress). So I put £20 on my phone and realised I still have £4.90 left, even after two years of not topping up. Wifi hopping is ace :D

I then made about 10 trips up the ladder with two bikes. I removed the front ends (so two fork with a wheel on) and the seats and posts then started heaving them up the ladder. The bad news? I could fit about 50 up there. I wish I hadn't learned that fact....

So yeah, bikes are all wrapped and sitting cosy so that's that done. I also found my fishing stuff up there so that is headed to the charity shop tomorrow.

It's funny, because damn near every day for the last month I have been doing something. And every single one of those days I almost bailed, then ended up working my ass off. So I am dead proud (and grateful for whichever medication stops me having bad meltdowns).

Wakka, IanW, Arboreal and 1 other person like this.
  19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Good job, dude - productivity is a treatment in itself. :thumb:

Speaking of bikes, got mine out the boiler cupboard after nearly 7 months of being stuffed in there. All gears are still indexed, the brakes and seat post haven't developed any air bubbles that need bleeding out, the tires were flat but held air over night (Joe's sealant really is the tits) and the bouncy bits still bounce with no odd noises or feeling... Basically, I was expecting to have to do a full strip/rebuild, but she's pretty much ready to ride as-is!

[​IMG]

The plan is wear out the current 10-speed GX through the rest of the year (mostly commuting), then upgrade to a 12-speed setup (or 11, depending on deals/offers going at the time). If I can bag a decent bit of overtime in the summer, i'll swap out the Revelations for a set of Yari's or Lyrik's too... these 32mm Rev's are the weak point in the build, but are more suited to commuting with the adjustable travel to 120mm. Other than than, she doesn't need anything else :D

20. Vault-Tec

eff me how tall are you? or is it because the frame is dropped? My seat is nowhere near that high !

[​IMG]

Also yay, carbon upgrades (crank, seat post)