1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not true, we have the Faroe Islands and Chile...

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Chilean one is only a partial rollover iirc.

5. adidan

I guess part of not very much is not very much.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

A must read for everyone. ;)

Where are you on the Brexit thickness scale?
    • ‘Politicians need to work together’
      How exactly do you expect people to ‘work together’ on entirely incompatible things? You wouldn’t expect Mary Berry to work with James Dyson to bake a plastic cake that sucks up dust. Thickness level: 1
    • ‘We must respect the referendum result’
      A quick analogy: you book a family holiday to Somalia because it’s sunny and cheap. However, upon googling it you realise you will probably die. Then you pack your shorts anyway and hop on a flight to Mogadishu. Thickness level: 2
    • ‘We have to leave to prevent riots by the far-right’
      Utterly weird logic in which you immediately bow to a questionable threat you should resist anyway. Like letting a five-year-old drive off in your car because he threatened to duff you up. Thickness level: 3
    • ‘Just get out now’
      Repeated ad nauseum on BBC Question Time. Unfortunately the subtext is: “I have no interest in understanding this huge ****ing mess I voted for.” Thickness level: 4
    • ‘The EU is going to collapse’
      Brexiters arrive at this conclusion by wishfully overestimating the importance of, say, the ‘gilets jaunes’. It’s like thinking Marvel is going to stop making superhero films because your mate Dave fell asleep during Ant-Man. Thickness level: 5
    • ‘We’ll sort something out’
      When optimism intersects with stupidity. We probably will ‘sort something out’, but what? Being murdered ‘sorts out’ your old-age care arrangements, but it’s not ideal. Thickness level: 6

7. Nexxo

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Ukip always manage to go 1 thicker...

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Last edited: 22 Feb 2019
  10. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

To be fair, just like the leavers most of us remainers didn't know much about the EU either, at least before the referendum. How many of us remainers actually sat down and looked through all the stuff and machinations, this and that before voting, me truthfully none when I ticked for remain and I knew very little. Yes it's good fun poking fun but a remainer would struggle to answer just as much a leaver would without googling.

adidan likes this.
  11. Nexxo

That is true (for most people), but Remainers at least had the sense to apply the rule: if you don't know what you're doing, don't do anything.

In any case, in about 39 days people are going to find out exactly what Brexit means. Swindon already had a preview. If it was felt that there was a disconnect between the electorate and their politicians before, wait until after Brexit. That disconnect is going to grow into a vast chasm.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2019
  12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Before the referendum became a thing I'd agree, i knew very little about the EU, however between then and the vote i learned a great deal as that's part of democracy, being well-informed before casting you're vote is IMO a prerequisite.

That's not to say i know everything or even 5% of what there is to know, that's me saying that i knew enough IMO to make an informed choice versus flipping a coin, that i had enough information and evidence not to be swayed by other peoples opinions or rhetoric.

It's like a doctor discussing treatment with me, i could probably study for years and not even know half of what (s)he does or i could just ask what's the likely outcome of treatment vs non-treatment and chose the option with the higher chance of success.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2019
  13. adidan

True enough.

I know enough to know it has many issues and problems but I prefer to help sort them out.

I could see the argument for leaving if someone came up with a well thought out and planned strategy to do so.

I would listen to that debate, although whether i'd be convinced or not I cannot say.

This though, it's like the UK is having a dramatic tantrum on the floor of Tescos kicking and screaming.

But if somebody wants to change something then the onus is on them to know how and why they are doing it.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'm just another treasonous remoaner... but here goes:

It is no secret that there is quite a lot of opposition (not just in the UK) to the ever closer political integration among EU members, so what might be a workable idea would be a sort of two tier EU.

In order to set it up the first step of the UK should have been to sit down with Norway, Switzerland and Iceland who currently all have various forms of "diet" EU membership, come up with a common agenda and then approach the EU with that.

15. Nexxo

Sounds like a good party slogan: "UKIP: always managing to go 1 thicker"

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From what i understand that's basically what Cameron's deal proposed, or at least set the groundwork for.

Unfortunately people just dismissed it as more of the same political lies as they seem to be doing with Mrs May's 'deal'.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

void rant(bool vitriol){

What confuses me about the people that say that they knew nothing when they cast the vote is that it sounds like they are willfully blind. Its not as if you could easily replace every single foreigner you stumble upon during your daily life with a brit. Like, imagine every business, service, street and shop without all the foreigners. Imagine the hospital without all those foreigners.
    Also, you did not assume that having free trade agreement with your largest client is a big deal? What about all those foreign sounding stores and corporations that employ lots and lots of people?
    What about all the useful buildings, roads and tunnels with the ring of stars and a weird acronym on a sign next to it?
    What about the border between NI and the ROI? Is the troubles something that is not taught in school? Imagine school without all those foreign teachers and students.
    Is the internet that s*** in the UK that you can't take a few minutes to google, bing or duckduckgo about the EU and the benefits of being in it?

Why the salt? Well, because of a vote on another country the main export of my island (tourism) is taking a pounding, good thing we are in the EU and other countries are taking the slack, but now an industry geared towards pleasing UK clients will have to adjust fast. Nobody around here expected this s*** show.

}

I hope that we all hear a collective pop from your politicians taking their heads out of their ass and an adequate solution is found. Up to now you have lost way way more than you would have hoped to gain with brexit, imagine what will happen after B day.

18. adidan

It's what confuses me about parts of Wales and England that were leavers.

Many of them are areas where the only substantial development over the years has been accompanied by a big blue and gold flag as the government has neglected to give a crap.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

They didn't though, they 'knew exactly what we were voting for'. And there lies the problem, they didn't know about the problems because they were told there'd be no problem, and everything that anyone said to counter the 'alternative facts' was just scaremongering and #projectfear.

Now you're just not believing hard enough. There are loads of unemployed British people who don't have a job because Polish (or any other non-brit) people stole them. Not because the Brits don't want said jobs, no sir.

We have been, it'd be fantastic not to have to queue behind non-Brits in A&E after a p*** up friday night. Plus they steal the beds too. (No they don't realise that non-brits actually work for the NHS, except maybe when they get that one doctor they don't like because....)

German cars, Italian wine and French Cheese. Also they want our Jam. They'll be giving us a free trade deal because they need us more than we need them, ratio of 3:1.

They won't leave.

You what? The EU doesn't do anything for us, and we keep paying them all this money, £350m a week, that could go to the NHS!

Who the **** gives a **** about NI anyway, give it back to the Irish. And also if the EU don't give us what we want, then the Irish will starve and it won't be our fault.

The internet is ok, but you're assuming there's a will for people to actually Google stuff in the first place. Unless it's XFactor, what Z list celeb did what this week or cat gifs, I can't see it happening. Except after the referendum.

#welcometobrexit

Yea, a fair few of us do. But it won't happen. It'll be a fudge.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Meanwhile Hunt has gone to Slovenia to make absolutely sure Slovenia will not bat for the UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...sal-state-jeremy-hunt-makes-gaffe-in-slovenia