1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Butt crimps for the PSU extension cable

Discussion in 'Modding' started by LePhuronn, 22 Feb 2019.

1. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Me again asking all manner of noob questions. This time it's about safely extending the mains power cable.

The deal is this: in my current project I've relocated the PSU inside the case so need to run an internal extension cable from the PSU to the outside of the case. The trouble is the extension cable I'm using due to clearance heights and other boring stuff is too short, and I can't really go down a different route (at this time).

So, given that the internal extension won't be moved in any way once it's routed through the case, would I be OK in using butt crimp connectors to splice a few more lengths of cable on? A lot of stuff online says don't use butt crimps to extend mains cable connected to appliances like vacuum cleaners, but I'd assume that was because the cable is continually tugged on so the crimp could break, but this extension will be permanently static.

UK mains cable is 18AWG and can't draw more than 10A because of the fuse so those red butt crimps look fine, in theory. Of course, I'll do the crimps at different points in the wire so they're not together, insulate everything individually before sleeving all 3 wires together.

Advice? Am I going to cause horribleness if I do this?

Cheers.

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Crimps will be fine (if you have proper crimping tool), or just use good old splicing (look up at western union splice). For cleanest look/install you could get rewireable connectors.

3. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Cheers Xlog. I do have a ratchet crimper I can test with. I was looking at screw terminal strips and have a few nooks and crannies I can hide one in, it's just ensuring the extension I have already is long enough to actually get there. Western Union splice and then soldered to hell and back might also be an option, again assuming I have sufficient length to position 3 splices in a long, flat run so they're spaced out and the finished cable doesn't need to turn a corner on them.

Any other input, peeps? My paranoid brain would prefer more than a consensus of 1 ;)

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Have you thought about running to a salvaged psu outlet connector?

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Just curious how long dose the cable need to be?

A splice will work but it is not ideal. If you do splice, try and stagger the splices so that there is not one huge bulge. Second use heat shrink over the but splice connector, extending 10 mm or so past (don't forget to slip the heat shrink on first). The heat shrink adds an extra layer of protection. Before crimping verify you have the right die size. Don't use electrical tape (it works but is nasty stuff and can so easily fail).

Are you trying to extend the connector cord with wall plug to the PSU (e.g.)? If yes, then don't. Do as Cheapskate suggests. Add a C14 socket to your case, run an internal cable from the C14 to the PSU.

If no old PSU is laying around, and no one on Bit-Tech has one to donate new socket are not overly expensive: a basic unit, a fused unit, or a switch unit.

6. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

It's the internal extension I'm trying to extend, unfortunately. Right, OK...

[​IMG]

Having relocated the PSU to the front of the case like this, I need to run an internal extension cable from PSU round the back and to the bottom under the radiator. It's about a meter in length. The complication comes from having a right-angle C13 for the PSU end that is sufficiently low profile to not cause issues: the thicker the C13, the further into the case the PSU must sit, and therefore the less space available on the other side for modular connectors and cables.

Now, I did ultimately get the perfect C13 connector, but it's moulded onto another internal extension cable (from a Fractal Node 202). I was over excited and premature and just snipped the C14 end off without measuring so I could finalise positions for the PSU and make my mounting rails. Unfortunately the Node 202's extension is only about 70cm, so it's too short.

So that is the question: can I take this 70cm length of internal extension with the perfect, project-saving moulded C13 connector and butt crimp or terminal strip another run of cable onto it to give me sufficient length to get out of the case so I can then attach my C14 connector?

Last edited: 23 Feb 2019
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: I really should have known you had one already with that case. Sorry. Yes, you should be able to use crimp or solder connections to splice two power cables together.
    Heck, for the Turnip, I couldn't find a right angle connector, so I made one.

8. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

When I was originally reusing the Silverstone 450W I was having a nightmare trying to find a right-angle connector because Silverstone - for some reason - have flipped their C14 upside down and pushed it nearer to the edge of the unit, so all of the common down angle and right angle connectors just wouldn't fit, and the left angle connector was just too chunky. So I almost went down the route of making my own C13 plug. Then I bought that Node 202 for my 2nd project (on hold for now :( ) and noticed the internal extension cable.

But in a twist which may render this entire thread moot, for Christmas I treated myself to a Corsair SF600 Platinum so I can push some overclocking once Asteria II is done, and it has a much more sensible C14 in it. I think though the Fractal cable is even smaller than the rewireable down angle I originally purchased.

Cheers to all, we'll see how I get on with this.

9. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

There is always an option (if you dont care about psu warranty) of soldering wires directly to psu socket lugs and forgoing angled plug entirely.

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Googling Fractal 202... I see that is low profile. Good news is the cable is in stock on Fractals spare parts site in case you need a spare.

If voiding the warranty, I'd crack the PSU case open and check the inside. I've had a couple supplies, where they used blade connector from the socket. No soldering, just crimping and it's reversible. The more I think about it, the blade connectors might have been with AT PSUs...

11. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Oh I know, already bought another 3 to replace the one from the Node 202 and 2 for future projects :p

Thanks to all for your input, I shan't be voiding the warranty on a brand new SF600 Platinum just yet.