1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Asrock B450M Pro 4 M.2 Issue.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 28 Feb 2019.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just put a Ryzen build with the above board and it is not see in my Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) M.2-2280 PCI Express 3.0

Bios updated even tried it in the other slot M.2 slot but nothing. Other SSD's register just the M.2 which would be my boot drive does not.

do not know what if anything i can try to resolve it, I see there is plenty on the net about this issue with Asrock 350 boards and one or two on the 450 but no definitive fix.

Anyone got a clue or should I RMA the board?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Good news and bad news: that drive is on the storage QVL, so it should work.

It'll only work in the first slot (M.2_1), though: that's SATA/PCIe; the second (M.2_2) is SATA-only.

When you say it doesn't register, do you mean it doesn't show in the BIOS or it won't boot from it/Windows doesn't see it? The other drives you've tried: are they PCIe/NVMe or SATA? Have you tried the Samsung in another motherboard?

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It does not show in BIOS no, BIOS updated.
    Other drives were SATA.
    The M.2 was pulled from a working PC yesterday and in fact was my boot drive.

I still have the Mobo it came from so I could try it in that but as it was only pulled yesterday I really cannot see what could have gone wrong.

Edit: M.2 working perfectly in original gigabyte Z170

Last edited: 28 Feb 2019
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And you've definitely tried it in the M.2_1 slot? 'cos it won't work in the other.
    It's possible it got zapped with static, but unlikely. It'd rule it out, at least.

Do you have many other PCIe devices in the system?

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just edited my previous post and M.2 working perfectly in original mobo, the only PCIe would be graphics card.

Still I have just learnt how to put a bare bones system together with bits and bobs I had.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Well, unless there's a "For Some Reason I Would Like To Disable NVMe Support" toggle in the BIOS - which a quick scan of the manual suggests there isn't - it certainly sounds like a buggered board. RMA time, I guess.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just RMA'ed the boards and as it came from OCUK this was simplicity itself.

Thanks for your help anyway.